kaitlyn2004

Rank I

Contributor II

Vancouver
First Name
Kaitlyn
Last Name
M
I made a drawer of sorts out of 1/2” plywood. Any suggestions on what to use as an anchor? I was originally thinking something like u bolts but not seeing anything short enough. Other basic anchors I’m seeing, I am not sure if screwing into 1/2” ply would provide enough holding strength? If going completely through, I also definitely want to minimize how much protrusion there is on the inside to avoid snagging anything

also - is there any meaningful difference in the placement of the anchor point? Bottom of the side? Top of the side? On the top plate?

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Is your goal to use the factory tie down loops to hold down the drawer? If so I did something similar, but unfortunately I can't find a good photo. This one shows the turnbuckle but not how it attaches to the box.

For mine I used d-rings similar to these. Please note these rattle if they are not held under tension.

They are mounted to the box using t-nuts similar to these. I think I used some threadlock on the bolts, and I've had no issues over years and thousands of miles.

Location of the anchor point is a good question. Realistically, whatever you use to connect the d-ring to the tie down (turnbuckle, strap, etc) is going to require some height, which leads to mounting the d-ring higher up on the box. I think this is a good thing since the direction of pull is mostly "down" and imparts less of a side load on the box.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Is your goal to use the factory tie down loops to hold down the drawer? If so I did something similar, but unfortunately I can't find a good photo. This one shows the turnbuckle but not how it attaches to the box.

For mine I used d-rings similar to these. Please note these rattle if they are not held under tension.

They are mounted to the box using t-nuts similar to these. I think I used some threadlock on the bolts, and I've had no issues over years and thousands of miles.

Location of the anchor point is a good question. Realistically, whatever you use to connect the d-ring to the tie down (turnbuckle, strap, etc) is going to require some height, which leads to mounting the d-ring higher up on the box. I think this is a good thing since the direction of pull is mostly "down" and imparts less of a side load on the box.
That's what I'm talking about