Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Spend 6 days traveling Death Valley with a group of friends.
All vehicles and members that are going must be self sufficient for 6 days; water, food, fuel. There are no gas stations or grocery stores.
Vehicles requirements; lift, rock rails/bars, spare fuel, all terrain tires, vehicle in good working order.
This trip has been mapped out by members that are very familiar with Death Valley, the attached KML file is the itinerary for the tip. Everyone will stay together for the entire trip for safety reason.
Pack clothing and camping gear for all types of weather

View Rally Point
Last edited:

DocTaco

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Modesto
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Maston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZE
My friend and I have been planning a trip to DV from 11/1-5. What round are you taking? We planned our route to start at Trona Pinnacles and working our way over Manly and Mengel Pass then up through furnace creek to Ubehebe Crater then down to race track playa. Take Lippincott Pass to Saline Valley and up through Steel pass to eureka dunes. Then head back home via big pine and Tioga pass. Do you have any suggestions on this route or recommendations? It would be nice to cross paths with your group.

DocTaco

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Modesto
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Maston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZE
My friend and I have been planning a trip to DV from 11/1-5. What round are you taking? We planned our route to start at Trona Pinnacles and working our way over Manly and Mengel Pass then up through furnace creek to Ubehebe Crater then down to race track playa. Take Lippincott Pass to Saline Valley and up through Steel pass to eureka dunes. Then head back home via big pine and Tioga pass. Do you have any suggestions on this route or recommendations? It would be nice to cross paths with your group.
What’s route?

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Mastonian and I are starting further south on Nov 1st, but we’d like to meet up like 2 or 3, doable?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
We met in Manteca by BassPro, I had the Tacoma with the slide out drawer. I got the Yaesu FT-60 radio based on your recommendation and currently studying the HAM STUDY flash cards. So yes let me know your plan and it might be fun to meet up for a day or two. Thanks for all that you do!

Craigoh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burlingame, CA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
King
Member #

Hello Kent, I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, upgraded with BFGoodrich T/A KO2 all terrain tires. Otherwise it's all standard, i.e., not "lifted", but does have adjustable height air suspension, skid plates, and side rails.
I don't want to damage the side panels. So, even though it's allegedly Rubicon "trail rated" I wouldn't do the entire Rubicon (I've done the first part of it, no problem.) Bottom line: Is my rig suitable for your Death Valley trip?

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Would love to go but I don’t have extra fuel storage. Looks like an awesome trip.

DocTaco

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Modesto
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Maston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZE
Kent, how is the trail from Lone pine to the Camp 1? Is it doable at night? I debating on leaving Modesto at 9 am or noon on the 1st?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Re
Kent, how is the trail from Lone pine to the Camp 1? Is it doable at night? I debating on leaving Modesto at 9 am or noon on the 1st?
I replied on the RP

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Here is your answer.
Question from a member wanting to go on the DV trip:
From Lone Pine to camp #1, can it be done at night?

I’ll go with yes. I’ve partially been on this trail (_______ broke down and we had to turn back) it’s mostly single track. The short answer is little to moderate experience, yes.

DocTaco

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Modesto
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Maston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZE
Thanks Kent. Papadave and I have decided to meet up with the convoy in Lone Pine.

Birdman

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Foresthill, CA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Thomas
Member #

This looks like an amazing trip. I wish my rig was ready for such an adventure and hope this gets revisited again next year.

Barclay

Local Expert Southern CA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Los Angeles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BDO
I really want to join this trip, but won't know about work until last minute (week of Oct 22-26) as to if I can go for the whole trip, or for the first few nights until Beatty, or not at all. :/ I'll put down "Maybe" until I know more.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Kent I’m getting excited about this trip! Michael and I did that walk around video we talked about....if you remember....maybe not :)

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I really want to join this trip, but won't know about work until last minute (week of Oct 22-26) as to if I can go for the whole trip, or for the first few nights until Beatty, or not at all. :/ I'll put down "Maybe" until I know more.
Barclay we should be ok with the sign up for you to come.

Montazuma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hurricane,Utah
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Hey guys, I would like to join your trip if possible, I’m not seeing starting point or time.. I would be coming from Saint George, Ut...

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey guys, I would like to join your trip if possible, I’m not seeing starting point or time.. I would be coming from Saint George, Ut...
Nov 1st, Lone Pine CA 14:30. Its waypoint one. The main group is coming from the north and 2 rigs will be coming from the south meeting up in Lone Pine CA, then jumping onto the trail.