Should I undercoat for salted roads in the north?

• HTML tutorial

Sreese210

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Seattle, Washington, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Reese
Member #

I realize that there are many posts for undercoating for rust, but my question was specific for salted roads. I apologize if this has been answered already. Just got the LR3 from Nevada when I moved from CA. But now that we are in MN, the sludge from the salt on the roads is rough. I can't imagine it being anything but damaging to the undercarriage, nooks and crannys. Obviously, being from the west coast (both the car and myself) it is not coated and has no protection and I'm unfamiliar with the salt until we moved. Any ideas about what I should use? Should I have it professionally done or DIY?

http://www.hacheyautoenhancing.com/popular-packages

Here is the local garage that does it and probably who I would use. Any thoughts, ideas or words of caution/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

DIY- We've been using a product called Fluid Film. This is our first winter with it so we don't have any real world advise on it yet. It comes with a terrific reputation and praise from friends who've been using it for years. It comes in spray cans or jugs where you use a garden type sprayer to apply. My guess is that Hachey's Wax/Oil spray is the same or similar to Fluid Film.

Sreese210

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Seattle, Washington, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Reese
Member #

DIY- We've been using a product called Fluid Film. This is our first winter with it so we don't have any real world advise on it yet. It comes with a terrific reputation and praise from friends who've been using it for years. It comes in spray cans or jugs where you use a garden type sprayer to apply. My guess is that Hachey's Wax/Oil spray is the same or similar to Fluid Film.
Great, thanks! Look forward to hearing how it works after winter. Fluid film is definitely on the list, I have limited access to tools and space right now. How easy was it to apply, did you lift it or just jack and remove the tires?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I've been driving on salty roads for 48 years. The metal treatment from the factory has greatly improved, but cars still rust in the north. The arguments for and against commercial type undercoating are 1) Do it, it keeps salt away from your metal, and 2) Don't do it, it traps salty moisture against your metal if there are any cracks or fissures in the undercoating, which there always are.

I've never had any vehicle of mine undercoated other than what came on the car. I generally keep my vehicles 9-12 years.

Now, FluidFilm is a different animal, as it doesn't seal in the metal. It is a surface treatment, and has a fantastic reputation. It is expensive, and needs reapplied each year, but is better than traditional undercoatings or not using anything at all. IT seems to be the go-to treatment amongst my local 4Runner friends.

Sreese210

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Seattle, Washington, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Reese
Member #

I've been driving on salty roads for 48 years. The metal treatment from the factory has greatly improved, but cars still rust in the north. The arguments for and against commercial type undercoating are 1) Do it, it keeps salt away from your metal, and 2) Don't do it, it traps salty moisture against your metal if there are any cracks or fissures in the undercoating, which there always are.

I've never had any vehicle of mine undercoated other than what came on the car. I generally keep my vehicles 9-12 years.

Now, FluidFilm is a different animal, as it doesn't seal in the metal. It is a surface treatment, and has a fantastic reputation. It is expensive, and needs reapplied each year, but is better than traditional undercoatings or not using anything at all. IT seems to be the go-to treatment amongst my local 4Runner friends.
Thanks for the advice! I was looking at it and seems pretty expensive, but if it works. I plan on keeping it for quite a long time. It came from CA so it has no protection what so ever. I've been taking it to the local touchless wash and hosing it down every other week. Can't keep doing that indefinitely.

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
Fluid Film lives up to its claims. It is seriously good stuff, and getting a little easier to find these days (Lowe's carries it now). I use it all year long on the Jeep. The only trade-off is that things are messier when I work underneath the vehicle. Small price to pay, because it really buys time against the moisture and salt we see here (a lot of both, and for a long portion of the year).

Reactions: Sreese210

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I've lived in western PA my entire life and I'll second (or third or fourth) Fluid Film. It's pretty fool proof. It's not a permanent coating and it won't damage paint or the rubber on your vehicle, so it's not going to ruin anything if you overspray. Beware: it stinks (smells), so don't apply it in a garage. I usually park on the street in front of my house and apply.

Mixednuts59

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winnipeg, Manitoba
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Bragnalo
Member #

I realize that there are many posts for undercoating for rust, but my question was specific for salted roads. I apologize if this has been answered already. Just got the LR3 from Nevada when I moved from CA. But now that we are in MN, the sludge from the salt on the roads is rough. I can't imagine it being anything but damaging to the undercarriage, nooks and crannys. Obviously, being from the west coast (both the car and myself) it is not coated and has no protection and I'm unfamiliar with the salt until we moved. Any ideas about what I should use? Should I have it professionally done or DIY?

http://www.hacheyautoenhancing.com/popular-packages

Here is the local garage that does it and probably who I would use. Any thoughts, ideas or words of caution/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I live in Manitoba, Canada. It is highly recommend to get a hard core undercoat and rust proofing done. If the vehicle is brand new and has seen no salt then get it done, if it’s a few years old then you might have to get the underside cleaned and coated. That undercoat would seal in rust and road salt and make a nice stew if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram @Mixednuts59

Reactions: Sreese210