Shiftpod? shiftpod mini? none at all? any owners out there?

• HTML tutorial

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
So im going to start overlanding either this year or next year and i need a solid tent.

I have leaned towards the shiftpod because of its ease of setup , thermal insulation/protection , and solid structure that prevents "wind flapping" that allows for a better sleep.

My concerns are size because im going to be sticking it in (hopefully) a two door 2021 bronco. I have tried watching reviews of the mini (which would easily fit in the car) but everything i have seen has been JUST too small for 2 people. If it was just slightly bigger it would be perfect , am i wrong?

My other concerns are what you all think. Is it going overboard? Any previous or current owners want to chime in? Any problems with the product?

Or am i overthinking it and something like a gazelle would be better? I just want to buy a tent i can rely on in every condition i can think of and not have to buy another one.

Some background i went trackside camping in upstate new york a summer ago and woke up freezing and miserable in a old put together flappy tent despite having a nice sleeping bag (cabelas mountain trapper). If im driving out in the middle of nowhere i would prefer not to risk freezing to death again.

Also any owners please post pictures of your setups if you own it

Reactions: Michael

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Wow, it's expensive, heavy, huge when it's packed. I would lean towards a backpacking 4 season tent. Space will be a premium in the Bronco as will weight, a good sleeping back will keep you warm, a good four season doesn't flap that much when it's put-up right. The major downside is you can't stand it them. I own a a number of tents for different purposes, Black Diamond, North face, Big Agnes, Eureka. With overlanding it's all a trade off. The reason I love it is the reason you have it.

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
Wow, it's expensive, heavy, huge when it's packed. I would lean towards a backpacking 4 season tent. Space will be a premium in the Bronco as will weight, a good sleeping back will keep you warm, a good four season doesn't flap that much when it's put-up right. The major downside is you can't stand it them. I own a a number of tents for different purposes, Black Diamond, North face, Big Agnes, Eureka. With overlanding it's all a trade off. The reason I love it is the reason you have it.
yes the weight and size are big downsides for it. But the normal tent i want , the gazelle t4 plus hub , also is massive while packed and wont fit in the bronco. But it will fit on top.

So i have eliminated size and weight as a problem and just need more information on how it performs.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Just seeing this........ As stated elsewhere, we have the ShiftPod2. It is huge in all aspects, packed, on the ground, etc. Plenty of room inside as you have over 6' headroom and about a 12x12 floor area. As tents go, it is very wind resistant but if you're in a really windy area, you will hear it. Maybe not a crazy flapping like a traditional tent but it is still a tent. The footprint is large enough that in some areas you have to search to find enough flat ground to set up. The doors and windows do not provide much ventilation in hot weather and the inverse is, its really warm in cold weather. Condensation is no better or worse than most any tent. If you're planning to haul it on top of your Bronco it is large enough, heavy enough and awkward enough that you will need two people to get it on top.

Last edited:

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

The included pack bag is a light canvas and would not provide any water resistance if you're going to haul it on top and in my opinion would not hold up to flapping in the wind if you on the highway very long.

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
Just seeing this........ As stated elsewhere, we have the Shitpod2. It is huge in all aspects, packed, on the ground, etc. Plenty of room inside as you have over 6' headroom and about a 12x12 floor area. As tents go, it is very wind resistant but if you're in a really windy area, you will hear it. Maybe not a crazy flapping like a traditional tent but it is still a tent. The footprint is large enough that in some areas you have to search to find enough flat ground to set up. The doors and windows do not provide much ventilation in hot weather and the inverse is, its really warm in cold weather. Condensation is no better or worse than most any tent. If you're planning to haul it on top of your Bronco it is large enough, heavy enough and awkward enough that you will need two people to get it on top.
I have to ask.... Does it stink? :laughing::laughing::grin::grin::blush:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Here’s my 2 cents regarding the Bronco... its small for an overland rig... I have had several Jeep’s over the years years and even the XJ and ZJ’s I found to be small. I know have a 2007 4Runner, and it’s small. And the new Bronco has less storage room than the 4Runner. So if I was looking for a tent for the Bronco I would be looking at either a 4 person backpacking tent like the KeltyTN-4 or something similar, and getting other small lightweight backpacking items for cooking and sleep systems... forget about a full 32qt or larger cooler/fridge. The Bronco is small... or get a trailer.

I went the other way and kept my Full Sized Bronco where I have enough room for the Gazelle T4, full sized fridge, and I still have room for the normal car camping cooking equipment.

Reactions: BCMoto

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
Here’s my 2 cents regarding the Bronco... its small for an overland rig... I have had several Jeep’s over the years years and even the XJ and ZJ’s I found to be small. I know have a 2007 4Runner, and it’s small. And the new Bronco has less storage room than the 4Runner. So if I was looking for a tent for the Bronco I would be looking at either a 4 person backpacking tent like the KeltyTN-4 or something similar, and getting other small lightweight backpacking items for cooking and sleep systems... forget about a full 32qt or larger cooler/fridge. The Bronco is small... or get a trailer.

I went the other way and kept my Full Sized Bronco where I have enough room for the Gazelle T4, full sized fridge, and I still have room for the normal car camping cooking equipment.
the plan was to get a trailer for most gear since the interior storage is so small. And depending on how i feel doing a rooftop tent or a shiftpod

but as far as performance it kicks the shit out of everything from the factory. im extremely excited.

Reactions: M Rose