Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

My rig is a stock Titan with the Pro-4x package. I have put it through it's paces and it is pretty capable. It does have a rear locker and offroad tires. I think it depends on what "stock" vehicle you drive. A Rubicon I would say yes; a Honda CR-v...I would say nope.
From my limited knowledge of the trail and Toyota trucks, I think you'll be OK.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I did on my GC a AOAA west loop ( glacier trial). It has 2.5 inches lift and AT3 tires. I had few times a clearance problem but with help a spotter I got thru. I was touching a skid plates a little.

Fespinoza

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Marietta, GA, USA
Member #

**Update**
This is turning out to be more popular than I thought. I had set the rig limit to 5 because I was unsure of the capacity of available camping and the logistics involved with large groups. However, I don't want to dissuade people from planning to come. I am going to keep the rig limit to 5 in the rally point listing, but I won't turn people away if they want to join. We can always divide up into smaller groups if needed.
Just so I'm clear, even though the rally is maxed out other still can plan on attending? Is there anything else we need to do to confirm a spot or let someone know I'd like to attend?

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

Just so I'm clear, even though the rally is maxed out other still can plan on attending? Is there anything else we need to do to confirm a spot or let someone know I'd like to attend?
Just PM me that you are definitely coming. I will give a call out later on as we closer to assess experience and rigs.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I will be there too. My experience is i did AOAA west side trials one of them it was glacier . So I passed most of I had some rock touch on an underneath protection .

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I'm still on board.. I have '16 Tundra dual cab with 6.5' bed.. running 32" Cooper St Maxx, Bilstein shocks and levelled out front end.. Other than that, I'm still stock suspension..

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

Hey All,

We are a little more than a month out from this trip. Please pm me to confirm you are coming. Include in the pm your camping type (e.g. rtt, ground tent etc.) I have scouted a few parts of this route this past month and a high clearance 4x4 with off road tires is a must (for reference, I drive a stock Nissan titan Pro-4x with 33inch-ish tires). Expect pinstripes ( at least for full-size trucks)!

In the next week or so I will post a link to a .gpx file of the planned route (I made some modifications to the original allegheny/Shenandoah overland trail). There are some options for some side detours as well to places like Seneca Rocks and Spruce Knob. if there is interest.

Can't wait to see you on the trail!

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Responded to our "conversation".. I'm in..My wife and I went to Burning Rock near Beaver WV quite a few years ago with our atv's.. One of the things we really liked about riding the trail system there was the scenic "vistas" and other stopping points.. Old machinery in the middle of nowhere, and old church next to an old rail road track, mountain top look outs over deep valleys, etc etc.. If you can offer things like this, I'm sure it'd make the trip more exciting and memorable..I'm guessing thats what Seneca Rocks or Spruce Knob would offer?

Does anybody intend on bringing dogs? We have 2. We keep them leashed when they're not in the truck..One LOVES being out with us and the other one, it'll be new experience for him. What about recovery gear {if it'll be needed}? All I have are 2 long straps and a HiLift that I haven't used yet..

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

**Recovery Gear**

It is always prudent to carry basic recovery gear. At a minimum everyone should have at least one rated recovery point on the front and rear of the vehicle. A ball hitch is not a rated recovery point, it is a death wish!

Reactions: Scout

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

Hey All,

I updated the rally point to include a .gpx file of the route. It looks kinda crazy because there are several options for routes. I have attached the file to this post as well. Here is a link to the route in google maps:

GPX viewer

Attachments

Last edited:

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

If you have a slot and think an experienced driver in a currently stock 2018 Tacoma OR can handle it, I'd love to join.