Rank III

Traveler III

Rocklin, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wolff
Member #

We are a group with 33” tires, lifted ZR2, Forerunner and Landcruiser, some from N and S. CA so hoping to meet in the middle and heading out May 17th. Seems like Fresno Cty is a good middle ground. Looking to string-together 2-3 days of wheeling and camping. We need some challenge, but Shaver Lake is a little much- (breakage). Hoping for 6 or 7 rated trails. I found Shaver Lake to Bald Mtn. Can anyone make any recommendations? By the way, we are also considering Bodie and surrounding areas as a possibility. Open to all thoughts. Thanks in advance for your help. Mark

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Also did you look in the app, several trails in the area....

Jim

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
This is a great route, medium. Take your time and you should be ok. This is a direct link in the app.

Bald Mountain Loop “The Easy Way”

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Hi Mark,

Some friends and I explored the Shaver Lake area last year. All of us were on 32" tires and we had no problem getting to the top of Bald Mountain (took one of the harder routes) and out to Brewer Lake. Here are some photos from the trip.

Reactions: Ubiety

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Headed to Bald Mtn this weekend for a quick escape. I've never done this area. Any recommendations for dispersed camping spots along the route? Looking at Gaia sat view its kind of hard to figure out what is good or not with all the rock. Going to be doing the 'easier' way.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Great! I’ll check that out! Really appreciate it

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
We went up the "hard way" and set up basecamp along the road prior to the granite fields. We drove to camp Friday, ventured up to the peak Saturday and back down to our camp. On Sunday we headed back up to the peak and down the "easy way". The hard way is not in the scar at all. The easy way is. We didn't do a ton of exploring but it seemed like most trails were open and clear. The local 4WD clubs have been busy as well as the salvage lumber companies.

Reactions: TCorona