Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
i am intrigued by this as to my understanding the "maps" only work when you have cell phone service. am i missing something here
If you are planning on being out of cell service then you should download maps at home before leaving. Not sure what nav apps support "offline maps" but I do know that Gaia does as I use that feature a lot.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Sorry, did not see that the discussion centers around OB1. Not sure about offline maps in OB1.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

On the extent of sharing routes/tracks. I'm on the fence about this. There are folks out there profiting from your effort of creating these routes/tracks and yes some are in this group. I have nearly all the class 6 and dirt roads of NH on my Gaia program. I am logging the tracks on my Dropbox account.

My decision was to offer up routes/roads in an area for another to explore if they would take the effort of reporting back conditions. Yes, effort on another's part. I've had little response to this within this group. In opposite, on Reddit I've had quite a bit of response to this and the file of confirmed routes/roads is growing. These folks have access to my files.

I've worked with other forums and helped build them (as several have) only to further down the road been required to pay a fee to remain a member with privileges (access). I worry about this each time I join another group. I keep my files off group and am happy to share with those that put in some effort.

my 2 cents and worth each penny.

Reactions: LumixLab and Ubiety

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

They did say you will have the option to share vs not share once added to the app. Another idea if it was not already conserved would be to allow private tracks / GPS files to be shared with specific OB1 members / followers. This would prevent the masses from getting access. So in short options to keep private / share with groups or individual OB Members / or share with all.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

They did say you will have the option to share vs not share once added to the app. Another idea if it was not already conserved would be to allow private tracks / GPS files to be shared with specific OB1 members / followers. This would prevent the masses from getting access. So in short options to keep private / share with groups or individual OB Members / or share with all.
I actually have had that conversation. Thought more of it being building a crew of sorts. It was stated as maybe, somewhere down the line due to other more pressing ideas to implement.

Maybe you backing this idea and others chiming in might move it up the list of importance..

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The idea of private groups sharing is what the “crew” feature is.

Wildmanreed

Rank IV

Advocate III

Dallas, Georgia, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Soooo would love to get peoples thoughts on sharing GPX files, specific locations, and routes in general. I've been called selfless when it comes to others and have been known to go out of my way to help others as much as possible. I am also a straight up NERD GEEK when it comes to maps and will proudly admit it. I study maps like they are on a college final exam. I have ridden almost every dirt road in the vicinity whether on my motorcycle or in my Jeep. I have put countless hours into making maps ad routes and classifying them into hard medium easy and into motorcycle vs 4x4 and well on and on.

ANYWAY, I have a hard time sharing GPX files with people I dont know or have never met. I have a hard time sharing because I don't want to share with idiots OR people who will go out and be irresponsible and get our few places left to ride closed down. I don't want to share with people who are too lazy to open up google and create their own. I don't want to share with people who are to lazy to go explore on their own and create their own.

Am I crazy ? Am I wrong? Am I right? Is there a right or wrong?

Comment - Thoughts - Opinions!?!?!?!?!?
Noting wrong with selective sharing. I total agree with it. I follow you on social media so I know a little about the treks you share. Keep up the great work. I have a few trails I ride to fishing and camping sites that I will not share with some of my friends as I know they are all about missing and I want to be able to still get to these sites.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This 'Crew' feature is app based or online (PC) as well?
It will be available on both. Everything is cross platform for the most part. This feature will be available once offline maps are available, or so I’ve heard. Again, most of these questions are answered on the Overland Bound YouTube Channel live streams.

OB1 Is Live
Our App- What’s Coming with Steve CTO Lead Programmer
Live Q&A Overland App New Features and Road Map
There are several reasons I know so much about the app. First, when @Michael had a link on the homepage to sign up to become an Alpha Tester, it pretty much laid out the road map for the baseline of what the app was supposed to be in its finished product. Secondly I was on the Alpha Test and Beta Test teams. Thirdly Directors are given information to put out to you the audience.
The last statement is probably the most important, because I might say something that I can’t back up my source because I got the information directly from @Michael and @Corrie during one of our conference calls, emails to the Directors, or through our Director Chat system.

If you haven’t taken the time to head over to Overland Bound on YouTube, I highly suggest you do. While there, like and subscribe, ring the bell and set the notifications for when OB will be live streaming. Almost every Live Stream talks about the app even for just a few seconds. It’s also a great way to interact with @Micahl and @Corrie directly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

It will be available on both. Everything is cross platform for the most part. This feature will be available once offline maps are available, or so I’ve heard. Again, most of these questions are answered on the Overland Bound YouTube Channel live streams.

OB1 Is Live
Our App- What’s Coming with Steve CTO Lead Programmer
Live Q&A Overland App New Features and Road Map
There are several reasons I know so much about the app. First, when @Michael had a link on the homepage to sign up to become an Alpha Tester, it pretty much laid out the road map for the baseline of what the app was supposed to be in its finished product. Secondly I was on the Alpha Test and Beta Test teams. Thirdly Directors are given information to put out to you the audience.
The last statement is probably the most important, because I might say something that I can’t back up my source because I got the information directly from @Michael and @Corrie during one of our conference calls, emails to the Directors, or through our Director Chat system.

If you haven’t taken the time to head over to Overland Bound on YouTube, I highly suggest you do. While there, like and subscribe, ring the bell and set the notifications for when OB will be live streaming. Almost every Live Stream talks about the app even for just a few seconds. It’s also a great way to interact with @Micahl and @Corrie directly.
Oh my...