Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Here's another excerpt from my training manual I've been working on. One day it will be ready as a handout for classes:)

Before I get into talking about shackles, I want to define and explain the abbreviations you'll see below.

WLL - Working Load Limit is what you will typically see stamped into the body of the shackle. SWL (Safe Working Limit) is also used, though not as often. What the WLL means is that a piece of equipment can be used all day up to the rating and not have an issue with deforming or breaking. If that limit is exceeded, the shackle should be inspected by a professional, and possibly placed out of service.

MBS - Minimum Breaking Strength is the minimum amount of force a piece of equipment can endure before breaking to the point of complete failure. For a typical 3/4" shackle with a WLL of 4 ¾ tons, that's 23.75 tons!

SF - Safety Factor is how much additional strength is available in a piece of equipment beyond the intended load. This is typically shown as a ratio of additional strength to the load. As most of our recovery gear comes from the lifting industry, our shackles must have at least a 5:1 safety factor since they are used in overhead applications. Equipment involving human life can be 10:1 or higher.

So how do all these relate to each other? Well, you start with the MBS of a shackle and use this formula to determine it's WLL. For the example, I'll again use a typical 3/4" shackle.

WLL=MBS/SF

In tons:
4¾=23.75/5

In pounds:
9,500= 47,500/5

Bow Shackles with a ¾” Body and a 4 ¾ Ton WLL are the standard. Safety factor should be 5:1 minimum. Van Beest “Green Pin” & Crosby shackles are individually tested with a safety factor of 6:1. When attaching eye loops of a strap, always rig them to the bow part of the shackle. Use the screw pin for your hook or thimble. Never rig a line or anything that will run over the pin. It can either spin it out, or over tighten it. If it’s a steel cable, it can actually grind the surface away causing (at least) the pin to be removed from service, if not the entire shackle.

Loads should be placed along the centerline of the shackle. A bow shackle can have up to a 120° load (say, using a bridle), so long as each leg is equally loaded. Never side load a shackle. Within 5° of centerline, 100% WLL is maintained. At 45°, the WLL is reduced to 70%. At 90° it’s 50% (see illustration below). Beyond the reduction of WLL, a side load can permanently distort the body of the shackle to the point of not being able to remove the pin. Never use a metal shackle to connect two Recovery Straps. It can become a flying projectile if a strap breaks. Due to the extreme loads placed on the pin, always remember to back it off by ½ a turn after it’s tight. This will help prevent it from jamming in place and make it easier to unscrew.

Using Shackles
Side Loading A Shackle.jpg

Soft Shackles are a different approach to secure attachment points. They are made from Dyneema (or AmSteel Blue, SK-75) and should have all safety ratings information on a tag. They have an adjustable opening and close with a cinch, or choker in principle. The more load applied around the loop the harder it is for the knot to pull through it.

One main advantage is that they can fit where a Bow Shackle simply cannot. A skinny slot in a slider, around a roof rack bar, or over a hitch pin inside the receiver hitch are all places a shackle may not fit. Another advantage is the material is very lightweight and soft instead of heavy steel, just waiting to go flying through the air. The MBS should be at least 18,000 lbs. for 3/8" line.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Great write up! I have 4 smittybilt shackles mounted on my bumpers. They're just for show, really. If someone decided they needed one more than me, I won't be out much. I do, however, carry a couple Van Beest and Crosby shackles with me in the recovery kit.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

In one of the classes I took at OE West last year, it was mentioned that some Chinese manufacturers have started to include the WLL and other "safety" markings on shackles. The problem is that they never test any of them!

When buying recovery equipment, please don't try to save a couple of dollars with inferior products from questionable manufacturers. Buy your gear from known and reputable vendors and you (and everyone around you) will be safer on the trail.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Here's another excerpt from my training manual I've been working on. One day it will be ready as a handout for classes:)

Before I get into talking about shackles, I want to define and explain the abbreviations you'll see below.

WLL - Working Load Limit is what you will typically see stamped into the body of the shackle. SWL (Safe Working Limit) is also used, though not as often. What the WLL means is that a piece of equipment can be used all day up to the rating and not have an issue with deforming or breaking. If that limit is exceeded, the shackle should be inspected by a professional, and possibly placed out of service.

MBS - Minimum Breaking Strength is the minimum amount of force a piece of equipment can endure before breaking to the point of complete failure. For a typical 3/4" shackle with a WLL of 4 ¾ tons, that's 23.75 tons!

SF - Safety Factor is how much additional strength is available in a piece of equipment beyond the intended load. This is typically shown as a ratio of additional strength to the load. As most of our recovery gear comes from the lifting industry, our shackles must have at least a 5:1 safety factor since they are used in overhead applications. Equipment involving human life can be 10:1 or higher.

So how do all these relate to each other? Well, you start with the MBS of a shackle and use this formula to determine it's WLL. For the example, I'll again use a typical 3/4" shackle.

WLL=MBS/SF

In tons:
4¾=23.75/5

In pounds:
9,500= 47,500/5

Bow Shackles with a ¾” Body and a 4 ¾ Ton WLL are the standard. Safety factor should be 5:1 minimum. Van Beest “Green Pin” & Crosby shackles are individually tested with a safety factor of 6:1. When attaching eye loops of a strap, always rig them to the bow part of the shackle. Use the screw pin for your hook or thimble. Never rig a line or anything that will run over the pin. It can either spin it out, or over tighten it. If it’s a steel cable, it can actually grind the surface away causing (at least) the pin to be removed from service, if not the entire shackle.

Loads should be placed along the centerline of the shackle. A bow shackle can have up to a 120° load (say, using a bridle), so long as each leg is equally loaded. Never side load a shackle. Within 5° of centerline, 100% WLL is maintained. At 45°, the WLL is reduced to 70%. At 90° it’s 50% (see illustration below). Beyond the reduction of WLL, a side load can permanently distort the body of the shackle to the point of not being able to remove the pin. Never use a metal shackle to connect two Recovery Straps. It can become a flying projectile if a strap breaks. Due to the extreme loads placed on the pin, always remember to back it off by ½ a turn after it’s tight. This will help prevent it from jamming in place and make it easier to unscrew.

Using Shackles
View attachment 19184

Soft Shackles are a different approach to secure attachment points. They are made from Dyneema (or AmSteel Blue, SK-75) and should have all safety ratings information on a tag. They have an adjustable opening and close with a cinch, or choker in principle. The more load applied around the loop the harder it is for the knot to pull through it.

One main advantage is that they can fit where a Bow Shackle simply cannot. A skinny slot in a slider, around a roof rack bar, or over a hitch pin inside the receiver hitch are all places a shackle may not fit. Another advantage is the material is very lightweight and soft instead of heavy steel, just waiting to go flying through the air. The MBS should be at least 18,000 lbs. for 3/8" line.
fantastic excerpt from your manual. Ive been looking for a good soft shackle/kinetic pull line as well for recovery. Reducing the small chance of taking a d-ring to the head is a priority

Frank&Bride

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Arizona, USA
Member #

First just a bit of back ground info, I am a certified Master Rigger Class II, certified by NCCO. I have been working in the heavy industrial construction business for 18 years. I also train people in the construction industry to be certified riggers.

There is a lot of very good information here that most don't know so it is great to get this info out and share it. I tend to cringe on a lot of the rigging setups I see in recovery situations cause of the potential dangerous setups.

One item to add, don't use a soft shackle when connecting to metal items. it is very easy to cut the cords on the synthetic fibers and have a failure. If you have no choice use a "softener" between the strap and the metal carpet, rubber, shirt, etc.

Second, get some training on how to properly inspect your rigging for signs of wear, there is a lot to look for.

Third, "Due to the extreme loads placed on the pin, always remember to back it off by ½ a turn after it’s tight." This is a old misconception that before training I used to believe as well. This practice can lead to the pin rolling out and causing a failure. The shackle pin is designed with two features to help in removal, so backing off a 1/4 turn is not needed or per design.
  • 1st - the hole in the pin is for the end of a spud wrench to fit in it to turn the pin.
  • 2nd - the end of the pin is flattened not round for a crescent wrench to be used to turn the pin.

Want to reiterate, my intent is not to discredit anything in the post but to just add knowledge I have gained from industry training, this is a great post with a lot of good info that needs to be shared.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

WLL=MBS/SF

In tons:
4¾=23.75/5

In pounds:
9,500= 47,500/5

Using Shackles
View attachment 19184

This would be nice to have 'pinned' in a recovery forum thread, along with some basic gear use....do's and don'ts.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I get the 30k wll industrial shackles because alot of my recovery equipment is also used on the farm and when winching i want the weakest point to be the winch itself which is also more than i need at 13k. But the shackles get used alot with my tractor and implements. Any strap i get be it tree saver or tow i look for 20k or higher. I stopped using grade 70 trucker chains when i found out the hard way they are only rated for 7700 lbs and they fly through the air just as deadly if not more than a winch cable breaking.