Severe Over-Land "Trail Rash", do you say; "oh no", or "who cares"?

• HTML tutorial

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
Just took "Tank" out on the trail to shoot some video for my YouTube channel, as I try to do every weekend, and I went through some extremely narrow paths and got a ton of trail rash. The right side of my truck looks like I had a close encounter with a pissed off wolverine LOL!
So...On the one hand, I was upset since my truck is only 4 months old; but on the other hand, I was like; "Oh well, that's over-landing".

Where do you fall on this subject? Do you try to "fix" or buff out your scratches, or do you let your rig proudly display it's battle wounds?

I appreciate your opinion,
Skol ~ SotN
Land Viking Adventures

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Yes, the wolverine scratches must be documented as I am sure very few of us have actually seen the aftermath of a wolverine attack! All kidding aside I tend to fall on the side of taking care of my gear but most certainly not babying it-I got some pinstripes on my Raptor the first month I had it and just purchased some mild scratch remover and went over it at home, then waxed it-you can still see traces of it 11 years later but it doesn't really stand out unless you are looking. I had a debate once with a friend who had just purchased a new 4x4 that went something like this-Him "I just spent $XXX on this truck, why would I take it out and risk damage?" Me-"why would you spend $XXX on a truck if you weren't going to take it out and risk damage?"

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
...Where do you fall on this subject? Do you try to "fix" or buff out your scratches, or do you let your rig proudly display its battle wounds?
Pinstripes from a Tennessee carwash are the validation of the Overland Bound badge. As long as they don't expose the metal to paint, no problem.

Reactions: Son of the Norse

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

First, THANK YOU for Service! My Dad was aghast, when I took my hours old Ramcharger out and brush pin stripped it. With my Jeep part of the deal when I bought it was a detail, the guy used a clay bar and it all came off. The only thing I worry about is the "Remember you have to drive this to work" . Don't break too bad!

Reactions: Son of the Norse

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
LMAO! I love all of your answers RAGMAN, OLD TANKER, and TAHOE PPV!! :grinning: Mine not be as bad as PPV, but the pix of your truck did make me feel a lot better!

I only have a Go Pro, don't know how good the quality will show; but here are 5 of the pictures I took minutes ago:
GOPR1066.JPGGOPR1068.JPGGOPR1071.JPGGOPR1072.JPGGOPR1081.JPG

Thank ya'll for any input....Will that "Buff Out"?
Skol! ~ Land Viking Adventures

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
First, THANK YOU for Service! My Dad was aghast, when I took my hours old Ramcharger out and brush pin stripped it. With my Jeep part of the deal when I bought it was a detail, the guy used a clay bar and it all came off. The only thing I worry about is the "Remember you have to drive this to work" . Don't break too bad!
Heck, I have a clay bar! Maybe I will try that. :)

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Been living with desert pinstriping on our vehicles for years. Goes with the territory! "Only" four months old vehicle? It had to happen sometime. Reminds us of a friend years ago who brought home a brand new jeep. His wife walked out of the house, looked it over, said, "Yeah! Sweet!"... and kicked a dent in the front quarter panel. Her response to his somewhat anguished, "Why'd you DO that?" was, "Now you don't have to worry about getting the first dent!" True story.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Ehhh. its in the clear coat. Time to learn how to buff out the paint. This is why all my Jeeps were white. I don't like that happening on my Cruiser so that gets buffed when I have an issue. Last trip out and I had to "nose" into some brush to turn around. Something with major thorns was growing in it and it took it down to metal.....sigh.
I heard there is a ceramic coating that's suppose to help. Its very expensive though and I don't know anyone who exposed it to heavy brush.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Been living with desert pinstriping on our vehicles for years. Goes with the territory! "Only" four months old vehicle? It had to happen sometime. Reminds us of a friend years ago who brought home a brand new jeep. His wife walked out of the house, looked it over, said, "Yeah! Sweet!"... and kicked a dent in the front quarter panel. Her response to his somewhat anguished, "Why'd you DO that?" was, "Now you don't have to worry about getting the first dent!" True story.
Semper Fi, Marine...Thank You for your Service!!!
From a Navy Brat and US Army Dad

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I am somewhere in the middle. Recent trip to Eastern Sierras tore me up good. Bought a buffer off by Amazon to try and fix it up but if doesn’t work then oh well. Not gonna stop going out!

Attachments

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

It always bothers me when I "pinstripe" a nice looking daily driver.
So...when I got serious and started the van build one of the first rules was "no pretty paint". Went with a truck bed paint so scratches either don't show or don't matter.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It always bothers me when I "pinstripe" a nice looking daily driver.
So...when I got serious and started the van build one of the first rules was "no pretty paint". Went with a truck bed paint so scratches either don't show or don't matter.
I’m considering Raptor lining thecopcar.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
The Envoy came with stripes...as well as scratches, scrapes, and gouges. So, my philosophy was, "with enough dirt, nobody would ever see them".
With the Collie, I tried to keep it as clean as possible, until my horse decided to make a dent in the bedside the same size as her ass. After that, I've been careful, but not too concerned if it happens for a good reason.

IMG_20161115_155133.jpg
IMAG1418.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have gotten my share of the Northwest pinstripes.

Attachments