Seriously a Bronco?

• HTML tutorial

RyleeG

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Well I’ve finally broken down for my next improvement. The steering since I got the bronco has been pretty bad. Well really bad. Going down the road in a straight line I could move the steering wheel around 2 inches without changing the direction of the truck. After going through and looking at all the bushings and wiggling the wheels while lifted I finally found the problem. I found that the pitman arm didn’t move when I turned the wheel those 2 inches. What does this mean to me? Steering gear box.

I’ve read a lot on these, basically don’t buy from advanced, Napa, etc. my mechanic friend said to at least buy from bronco graveyard. Then I came across some videos and reviews of redhead gearboxes. Apparently this is the way to go, the hand rebuild each one and use a variety of bearings to eliminate any unwanted travel. They are also the most expensive, but at this point I’m ready to fix my steering for good. I saw the guys building desert trucks and way jacked up mud trucks using them. They even have an option to tap holes for a hydro assist (I don’t plan to do that though so I saved a little money)

Driving around with sloppy steering is not only dangerous but it’s exhausting. I live in the mountains, the winding roads and thin lanes force me to constantly be correcting myself and stay on edge. If this works out the way I want it to, my old bronco will be much more enjoyable to drive and I’ll finally feel comfortable for my girlfriend to drive knowing she will be safe.

Price tag: $401 shipped to my door. There is a core charge of $100 and shipping one way is $35, two ways was $70. I live really close to a recycle junk yard so I figure I can save a little money here, not much but some.

The new part is expected at my house Wednesday this week, that means I’ll have a busy weekend but hopefully be joy riding Sunday! Updatesto come!

Reactions: Georick

Stix

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

Changed out mine. Tie rods and ends too. Steers like a new one and off road is much stouter in the steering department. Wont be disappointed with how it handles[emoji106]

Reactions: RyleeG

Spartanprop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Black
Member #

Hey guys, I am new to this site and overlanding in general. I too own a Bronco. I have 94 Bronco with 35's and 302 so it is not the fastest horse in the bunch, but it will there and I love it! Looking for any recommendations on how to prep it for overlanding. Thanks in advance guys!

IMG_1352.jpg

Reactions: Narbob

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Interesting turn of events. I actually sold my Bronco, got one of those "world class 5th gen 4runners" and came back to a bronco again, I think they are the perfect 4x4.

They come with fuel injected V8 power (unless you get lucky and land a inline 6)
They have a roomy cabin
They have a comfy coil sprung front end, and leafs in back for added capacity
Aftermarket for OBS fords is growing again!!
I really like the fold and tumble rear seat (I will install 3rd row Tahoe seats for the same feature but split 50/50)
Dual batteries are a breeze thanks to junk yard F350s with the dual battery hardware for starting the 7.3L PSD
They have excellent wheelbase...

My username is derived of my bronco ownership history, Percheron are a breed of stout dependable working horses. Hence... IronPercheron.

The O.G. IronPercheron that I used for a few years, and still owned when I joined OB (seems so long ago now) was a 1986 Ford Bronco. This was a 351W truck and it was carbureted but it never slowed me down. I have at least a marginal depth of mechanical prowess I suppose. It had a 6 inch lift on it when I got it and I just kept it. Tossed some military surplus 37s on it and a winch. Good to go. We named it "Uncle Ruckus".

Ruckus 7.jpg

Rundown on Uncle Ruckus:
$800 price tag
Warn bumper and Warn 9000i winch
6" lift
Bart racing 16.5" 5 lug wheels
Trailworth Fab surplus 37x12.50 BFG Baja A/Ts
4.10 gears
Moser rear axle shafts (ford 9 inch)
CB radio
Rust... lots of rust. Eventually killed the old guy.

Then I thought I needed this 4runner, its my wifes vehicle but we use it for our outings. It really is world class, I would drive this thing to satans birthday party and back. But I have my preferences with the Bronco and I will enjoy having another one.

FB_IMG_1547574147153.jpg

FB_IMG_1547574063866.jpg

Rundown on 4runner:
$32,000 price tag
SSO winch bumper
SSO rack
3" lift
Step sliders
Warn 9000i winch

I just got "Eddie" and I have a long way to go, but I cant wait to get back to the simple way I used to just wheel and camp before I went (full overland) lol.

Eddie 1.jpg

Rundown on Eddie:
$3000 price tag
4 inch skyjacker
Warn8274 w/bumper

I also owned a Bronco II for a short time, I will never do that again. We named it R2B2 (starwars pun) because of the color and size. I will ever buy a vehicle that small again as long as I live. HOWEVER... it's was very capable, dependable, and fun to camp with regardless of the lack of space. For a solo camper it would be a blast.

I do recommend swapping in Ranger D35TTB and 8.8 with 4.10 Ratio.

R2B2 met a different demise than Uncle Ruckus, I sold it, and a month later found it on FB market place for parts......

8.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

Rundown on R2B2:

$1500 Price tag
4 inch lift
33x1250's
Removeable winch
67k original miles.... a sad loss.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
There are no actual pics of the new Broncos out. There are some concept pics from older designs that keep getting posted as "leaked" Broncos. The "baby Bronco" has had one pic released, but that's a totally different vehicle, with no release date. The pic below is the only picture released of the new one. From what you can see, looks to have fender flares, a spare on the back, and retain some of that first gen boxiness. Sadly even being a Ford employee, we don't get much heads up on product releases. I can confirm that not a single shot of the new ones has been released or leaked at this point though.

View attachment 88497
There's Jeep JL's running around at Ford's testing grounds. Good news for us.

And patents for tube doors and some kind of retractable door safety bar thing.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I think the OJ-era Broncos are a great, often overlooked platform. Desolate Motorsports does some really cool stuff with them where you get Long Travel and the ability to truly run fast (and even jump) but retain full 4WD and low and can crawl it too. 35"s with stock body work and one of their kits is a killer combo: Desolate Motorsports Bronco 80-96 Stage 3 Front Long Travel Kit (Stock Width)

-TJ