Seriously a Bronco?

• HTML tutorial

RyleeG

Rank I

Enthusiast I

So ive grown up camping and working on trucks, i was in a four wheeling club in college. Now that i'm a bit older and priorities have sorted themselves I've put down the rockcrawling hobby (way too expensive for me) and have a bronco to go camping and goofing off in.

I bought the truck from a college kid about 3 years ago. Its a 1990 Eddie Bauer Edition Full Size Bronco. Originally I was looking for a solid truck that was easy to work on (80-mid 90s ford or chevy) that I could use as a secondary vehicle in my construction job. A college kid posted this Bronco on craigslist, i went for a few test drives and decided to buy it. It came with several modifications:

4 inch lift kit
Cut fenders
35inch BF goodies mud terrain
sweet orange paint job
Rhino Lined Floors
A trash can glued to the floor instead of a center console
A remote starter? Really?
A half assed cold air intake
A brand new transfer case (he broke it on the beach he says)

I ended up needing to do a decent amount of work to make it the reliable machine i really wanted

I had to install a new starter almost right off the bat

I got the exhaust done as there was a hole developing in the headers, i went for the exhaust exiting in front of the tire because it looked cool.

The 5.0 really didnt like the "cold air intake" which was some cheap hose laid over top of the engine to a high flow air filter, i can only imagine how much hot dirty air was dragged in. I went to the junk yard and put in the stock air box and filter (much better)

I replaced the hubs as they were so hot they could boil water right off after a short drive, i think they were stuck in the on position (Vacuum controled auto lock hubs) they work pretty great now

With the bedliner on the floor, the transmission would transfer a lot of heat into the cab, I got some insulation and rubber floor material to dampin some of the sound and the heat. works decent.

Over time i have replaced just about every sensor, filter, pump, wiring kit, etc etc.

As it stands now the truck always starts when i turn the key, 4 wheel drive always engages, theres plenty of space to pack all of my creature comforts for a good weekend, and it really turns some heads.

Recently we took a camping trip to Cades Cove for the Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion, it was about a 4 hour trip one way through mountain roads, stayed off the interstate, i got 11.5 MPG on the trip. I was expecting worse, but i still realize the limitations that 11MPG gives me.

I like my Bronco because it is different, I see most people with a expensive 4Runner or Tacoma etc. I think over that past few years things have changed in the overlanding community. Popularity has brought many great products but i feel like people feel like they have to have certain things in order to even leave the house, Lift kits, winches, kitchens, RTT, hot water, trailers. its ridiculous. Of course I want all these things, and of course i think the new toyotas are awesome and i want those too, but it feels good to be different and use what you have to get out there and live a little. I'm not knocking anyone who has these awesome things because eventually i'd love to have them all as well, but if you dont have all those things like me, just go, each time you go out, think about what would make your time in the woods more comfortable, fun, spend less time working and more time playing.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

im not even much of a ford fan but the broncos suspension works great for back country travel and having a full size makes taking gear so much easier

Reactions: Graeman

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
I had a travel trailer. I wanted something simpler. I went tent camping, figured I didn't like sleeping in puddles. Went RTT, hassled with putting it up everytime you wanted to move your vehicle. Built a trailer, now both vehicles can use it without mounting it easily. Modular, simple, low maintenance. I agree with your assessment. Go adventure, find out what doesn't work. Refine it. Don't make it about the gear, make it about the experience. I enjoy my low cost, quick deploy, hardly any maintenance setup. Took a long time to get here tho...

Reactions: Graeman

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
They get the job done. And even with just a few changes you'd be surprised what they can do. I'm currently building my second bronco that will become my daily driver and our adventure mobile as the kids call it.

Reactions: M Rose and Stix

RyleeG

Rank I

Enthusiast I

View attachment 69902 I have a 93 with a RTT. Broncos are such a great platform for overlanding. I built some shelving in the back of mine and have room still for my wife, 2 year old son, and a 125lb great dane. Ive changed a ton of parts and its been so cheap and easy to work on. I wouldn't trade my Bronco for anything!
What kind of MPGs are you seeing in yours?

Stix

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

Well I live on an Air force base so it's a ton of short road driving. Lots of stop and go. I average about 10-11 mpg (I always run it off on fill ups out of curiosity) and highway itll hit 14-15 and that's 60-65mph with the cruise on. We are going out this weekend and it's about 2 and a half hours to where we are going so I can run it off again to see my highway mileage but its usually 14-15

Falcon 0314

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Delaware, OH, USA
Member #

I am the product of the late sixties and I love the old Fords. Simple to fix and very reliable once dialed in! Good choice and it is extremely difficult to find one that is not a pile of old bones and requires a ton of TLC.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I love the old Broncos. They are getting very difficult to find a good one at a decent price. It will be interesting to see what the new one looks like.

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I love the full size 90s broncos especially rocking the 351! I have been looking at a more capable platform as a side project and always go back to the full size bronco.

I have built a few Bronco IIs and tho I love them as well I need a full size rig! DSCN1590.jpg

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I've always loved first gen Broncos, but they all seem to be super expensive or clapped out by now. I've been thinking more about getting a full size Bronco for some heavier trails. We use an Outback for our adventures (and a daily), but I know it has limitations, and want to build a little more hardcore setup for certain trips. I work for Ford now, so I'm anxiously awaiting the new Bronco, but regardless of what it ends up being I'm still thinking an older one would be cool to have.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I've always loved first gen Broncos, but they all seem to be super expensive or clapped out by now. I've been thinking more about getting a full size Bronco for some heavier trails. We use an Outback for our adventures (and a daily), but I know it has limitations, and want to build a little more hardcore setup for certain trips. I work for Ford now, so I'm anxiously awaiting the new Bronco, but regardless of what it ends up being I'm still thinking an older one would be cool to have.
I saw some sneak peak pics of the new one and I think they missed the mark. If it actually lik the pics I saw...
Looks like a Ranger w a weird cap.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I saw some sneak peak pics of the new one and I think they missed the mark. If it actually lik the pics I saw...
Looks like a Ranger w a weird cap.
There are no actual pics of the new Broncos out. There are some concept pics from older designs that keep getting posted as "leaked" Broncos. The "baby Bronco" has had one pic released, but that's a totally different vehicle, with no release date. The pic below is the only picture released of the new one. From what you can see, looks to have fender flares, a spare on the back, and retain some of that first gen boxiness. Sadly even being a Ford employee, we don't get much heads up on product releases. I can confirm that not a single shot of the new ones has been released or leaked at this point though.