Self Rescue / When all else fails...

• HTML tutorial

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

A fat tire bike is a great option. But if we're talking zombie apocalypse, it would be hard to beat a Motoped ;-)
Oh my.....

Do want!

But I do like the idea of having any sort of backup be it motorized or not.

I might be mistaken but on one of those 2wd motorcycles (the Rokon I believe) you could also store fuel in the tires?

EDIT: You could store fuel or water in the hubs.

Wouldn't a 125cc dirtbike fit the bill for most situations for a backup? If you wanted street legal a DR-250?

Last edited:

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Oh my.....

Do want!

But I do like the idea of having any sort of backup be it motorized or not.

I might be mistaken but on one of those 2wd motorcycles (the Rokon I believe) you could also store fuel in the tires?

EDIT: You could store fuel or water in the hubs.

Wouldn't a 125cc dirtbike fit the bill for most situations for a backup? If you wanted street legal a DR-250?
I love the Rokon, but it's heavy, and not legal on the street. The TW 200 with fat tires is also awesome. The problem for me, with all those options, is that they are longer than my jeep is wide.

ClarkT

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Clark
Last Name
Glenn
Member #

I just ordered one of these folding Montague Paratroopers… hoping it fits where I want it to go lol.

I have had a Montague for years and it is fantastic. These are serious bikes, not gimmicky. They were designed and built with a DARPA grant from the defense department. They were made for Paratroopers (that was the name of the bike as well) so they could parachute in behind enemy lines and have a silent no emissions vehicle to move around with. I am not a hard core mountain biker and I put folding pedals on mine as well which make a huge improvement to the size of the folded package. I use this in my small airplane in order to have transportation at some of the small airports that I land at. These are also made under the name "SwissBike" with very high end components.

All this being said, I would not take this into the backcountry with me because I don't find it necessary in that situation, but if that is what you are looking for, you can't go wrong with this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: ASNOBODY

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

All this being said, I would not take this into the backcountry with me because I don't find it necessary in that situation, but if that is what you are looking for, you can't go wrong with this bike.
Agreed. I actually sent it back (thank you Amazon) as it wouldn't fit where I wanted it to go. Ended up getting a Diamondback Catch 1 so I could have more fun, and a hitch rack…oh, and a good pair of shoes to keep on board in case I need to walk far lol.

Reactions: ClarkT

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I've got an old nashiki bike that lives in my trailer. Changed it over to a single speed rear drum break so I wouldn't have to deal with cables rusting up.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
DO IT KELLY!

I'll sell you my HarborFreight one-bike carrier, complete with gas can carrier so you can hitch it up!

Great Solution the Grom.
I already have that same harbor freight motorcycle carrier LOL. The only problem is having to put my spare on the roof, and re-locate my Rotopax and propane tank. Then there's the issue of having to unload the bike to get the hatch open. Not ideal. Weren't you the one that told me about the Grom?

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Maybe, I seem to remember a conversation like that.

I have the dual receiver extender from HF that I can use with my spare back there, seems to work well.

I also fabbed up a 5 gal can carrier that fits into the top slot on that receiver extender. buy it from me!

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Maybe, I seem to remember a conversation like that.

I have the dual receiver extender from HF that I can use with my spare back there, seems to work well.

I also fabbed up a 5 gal can carrier that fits into the top slot on that receiver extender. buy it from me!
I've got one of those extenders from Harbor freight, but you give up a lot of departure angle having it stick straight out the back like that. I think I can probably figure out the RotoPax and propane tank situation, but the spare will definitely have to go on the roof.