Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
My schedule makes it very tough to plan trips with other people. Consequently, I do a lot of trips without another vehicle along. Several times, I've been in situations where either a mechanical or electrical problem has made progress impossible, with no cell service. For life threatening situations, I have satellite coms, but as a former SAR member, I don't consider getting stranded an emergency. Once, in the Rockies, we had to hike out 6 hours, above tree line, in an electrical storm.

So, all that being said, I wanted a way to get back to civilization (faster than walking), when I can across this...

521c277b3622422905b39568750606e8.jpg

The only problem for me is that the Rokon is too long to tuck in behind a ZJ.

I want something lightweight (<200lbs), short (<67"), off-road capable with racks for cargo.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?...

Motra.jpg

Last edited:

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
There are two versions, one with traditional tires, that will apparently become available as DIY kits for under $1k.

If you watch the videos it will blow your mind how capable they are since they're 2wd.

Reactions: Kelly

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Yeah there are pictures of that version fitting inside the back of a Range Rover.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I'm seriously considering one of these (short & light). Has anyone ridden one?

IMG_4111.PNG

Honda CT70 - 60" long - 140lbs

dventoza

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portsmouth, Virginia
Member #

I'm seriously considering one of these (short & light). Has anyone ridden one?

Honda CT70 - 60" long - 140lbs
Grew up riding one of these and a CT90. Very reliable if you keep up with very simple maintenance. They are not fast and I would not ride one on any highway but good little bikes. Getting harder and harder to find in good shape.

Reactions: Kelly

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Great thread and it is one of the reasons I started to bike. Having a reliable source of transportation not dependent on gasoline is critical (think zombie apocalypse) and something that can be put on a rack behind (or on top of) any trail rig. My current...

DSCF0087.JPG
So I am just wondering if you would consider something without a motor. Reliable, able to pack what you would need to extract yourself in an emergency, fuel not needed and can go pretty darn near anywhere. Check out fatbikes for a truly go anywhere option (snow, sand or rock).

Just a thought - not meaning to threadjack if this was meant only for motorized options. Wheel safe & happy!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Great thread and it is one of the reasons I started to bike. Having a reliable source of transportation not dependent on gasoline is critical (think zombie apocalypse) and something that can be put on a rack behind (or on top of) any trail rig. My current...

View attachment 12490
So I am just wondering if you would consider something without a motor. Reliable, able to pack what you would need to extract yourself in an emergency, fuel not needed and can go pretty darn near anywhere. Check out fatbikes for a truly go anywhere option (snow, sand or rock).

Just a thought - not meaning to threadjack if this was meant only for motorized options. Wheel safe & happy!!
A fat tire bike is a great option. But if we're talking zombie apocalypse, it would be hard to beat a Motoped ;-)

IMG_5450.JPG

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

So I am just wondering if you would consider something without a motor.
That's what my Xtracycle conversion works great at; carrying lots of stuff. Wide tires and low gearing make most loads tolerable. I also have a Burley folding trailer that I converted to a flatbed trailer. I've carried four bags of much without problems. I had three 80 pound bags of soil on it, but was worried about the strength of the frame. If I was going to do that regularly, I'd stiffen the frame more.

Reactions: HulseyFamily