Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

Im looking to head from SoCAL to Sedona AZ next weekend (5/22 - 5/25) and am looking for some help on dispersed camping. Rec.gov is spotty on reservations and the only thing I can find available are first come first serve campgrounds. Which is fine under normal circumstances, except its 7hrs each way so its a bit risky I guess.

Anyone have any tips on locations for dispersed camping? It will be just me and my gf with my taco and RTT. We can literally setup anywhere, but Im trying to abide by the local laws, rules and hopefully what seems to be dissipating COVID restrictions.

Thanks in advance!

Cabin Fever

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Latest I hear is they are trying to get tourists to stop coming to Sedona. So you may want to check the status of that. Campendium will have listings for Sedona. There are nice areas west of town off FS 525. Very large area open to dispersed camping. The deeper N and W you go the nicer and more scenic it becomes. I would double check before you go.

DaveD

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sacramento, California. USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6GMX
I did Schnebly Hills Road ( 153 ) a few years ago after OEX. There are some nice dispersed camp sites between the 17 and Vista Point. I believe this is the only authorized area to disperse camp along 153.
Contact Coconino N.F., Red Rock R.D. 928-203-2900 to confirm.
Coconino National Forest - Home

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I did Schnebly Hills Road ( 153 ) a few years ago after OEX. There are some nice dispersed camp sites between the 17 and Vista Point. I believe this is the only authorized area to disperse camp along 153.
Contact Coconino N.F., Red Rock R.D. 928-203-2900 to confirm.
Coconino National Forest - Home
Yep, that's a beautiful place to setup camp. Been there several times. It's Nice!

Reactions: DaveD