Securing your site.

• HTML tutorial

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I cable lock everything when I am gone, this only keeps things from walking. Anyone really wants something they will get it. In addition anything of value, like my wallet, ID, backup ID, keys, gun goes in a small gun safe cable locked inside to steel. In my case the interior spare tire well, and that is covered always. Sure they can cut the cable, but at least without a blow torch they are not getting in the safe. My camera gear is in a pelican case with locks and cable locked the same way. On this I have added a poison warning label. A big official one.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Some friends and I went on a trip last November to Uwharrie Nat'l Forest in NC. We've been there many times over the last decade and always camped at the Hunt Camp off 109 near the Outpost. As usual, we just left our gear sitting out on the picnic tables and hit the trails. The first morning there my buddy busted a rear shaft on his truggy and we had to go parts hunting. The other guys we were there with hit the trail while we combed the countryside for 9" Ford shafts.

We all got back about lunchtime and someone had made off with my cooler. Now it wasn't an expensive cooler by any means, just a $40 Wal-Mart job. But it was the cooler my wife and I bought on our first camping trip together and had been on many trips with us over the years. It also had our food for the weekend in it. Whoever got it was just after the beer I think as Uwharrie is in a dry county. They left several hundred dollars of Coleman stoves and lanterns, a nicer cooler a friend had, and all our other gear there.

I'd have gladly shared my beer and steak with them if they'd only stopped and asked. I don't think I've ever wandered into someone's camp and not been graciously offered food and drink. But that was just low. Luckily, one of the other guys had beer and food to spare and we managed to make due for the night and just ate breakfast at the Outpost the next day.

Thanks to that, I now have a 1/2" coated cable with swaged ends and some big combination locks to secure things around camp. The cooler gets locked through table legs or to a tree. Everything else gets stowed in the truck or a lockable tote that's locked up with the cooler. Like stated above though, if someone wants it bad enough they'll still get it. Things like this just help keep honest people honest.
I enjoy Uwharrie as well but depending on how busy it is, it can get a little crazy up there. Every morning I pack up everything into my ground tent and hope for the best. The expensive stuff I bring with me like my yeti cooler. I don’t trust people but if they need to steal my clothes than so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

Herms

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Member #

Not much to ad, I'm just amazed that you guys actually have such problems. Over here in South Africa security
is always in the back of your mind. In my minds eye I always thought that in America you can just pull over and sleep.

I must say, I try and do my trips with at least one or 2 other parties, it's more fun if we can share the experience, there is help
if a nasty situation occurs and there is always someone in the group that feels like hanging at camp while we go out.

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hmmm,, interesting, I've always been more concerned about theft while I'm at a grocery store or in a hotel parking lot. I do keep our pair of jerry cans and our propane bottle locked as they would be easy pickins for anyone wanting fuel. Our trailer has a soft top which is easily removed or cut open. Our trailer has a spinning lunette ring that works with our pintle hook. If need be I can always unscrew the lunette ring if we leave the trailer behind. So far, in way over 20 years of camooing in remote areas, our campsite, nor any of our equipment has ever been disturbed. If we backpack from basecamp, anything of true value, camera gear, laptops, etc, etc, gets locked up in the rig in their respective cases. We keep an extraordinarilly clean campsite, which I think tends to serve for as much a deterrent as anything. Everything automatically gets put away in its proper place at the end of the day, exploring with the rig, during a day hike, or when we backpack for an overnighter or two. It would be very easy for one to walk into a cluttered site and walk away with whatever is in view. I refuse to live in fear and am not paranoid in the least, but I do think that our anal retentiveness about keeping a clean and orderly campsite goes a long way to deterring the casual amateur thief. If a pro wants it, he's gonna get it, period. That's what insurance is for. peace out.