Seattle area astrophotography meet and campsite cleanup, - 04/07/2018

• HTML tutorial

Faded_80

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Seattle
Member #

@Faded_80 are there updates or anything we can bring?

Looking forward to this!!
There might still be snow at that elevation, but not enough to make it impassable. Me and some friends recently took a stock 88 Audi Quattro out there, and with some mild scraping it made it ok.

CB's are encouraged for banter while on the road convoy, but not necessarily needed.

I'd say just plan on being cold, and staying up late. This site is deep in the Alpine lakes wilderness. Camping equipment, firewood, and whatever you can imagine you'll need to be 20 miles away from cell signal.

Reactions: NetDep

Faded_80

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Seattle
Member #

@Faded_80, @RJG, and crew.

I'm not likely going to be able to make it up to the PNW in April. I thought I'd post some things I've learned over the last few years for those who are just starting out in Night Photography.
I've found the following sites helpful for locating and planning night shoots:
Light pollution Map:
https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=15&lat=6053094&lon=-13532245&layers=B0FFFTFFFF
The LPM team also have a good Android and iPhone app to make this data portable.​
Android apps:
PlanIt for Photographers
Sky Safari Plus or Sky map
Deluxe Moon
FotoTool​

For my nightscape photography I look for an interesting foreground subject, then put the milky way core, Moon, or a known constellation (Orion, Big Dipper, ...) behind it. Now that we have a location let’s talk Gear:
  • DSLR or Mirrorless camera capable of full Manual mode
  • Batteries fully charges with spares (I can usually shoot my Nikons with 2 batts, but friends with Sony burn through batteries very quickly, like 5 fully charged batts. per night)
  • Wide Lens, Larger the aperture the better IE: I often use a Rokinon / Samyang 24mm f:1.4. The reason you want your shortest focal length and largest apature lens is to satisfy the “500 rule”, on a full frame camera divide your focal length into 500, to get the longest shutter speed that will keep the stars as pinpoints rather than arcs. My 14mm, gives me 35 seconds, for my 24mm 20 seconds. For various crop sensor cameras multiply the lens focal length by the crop factor then divide into 500.
    From here you adjust the lens aperture and camera sensor ISO. A 2.8 or larger max aperture is a big advantage here; since each stop you open up in aperture, you can cut the ISO in half. Open up your lens as wide as possible, and take some test shots to help with ISO. I seem to always end up with ISO between 1600 and 6400, you’ll have to go higher with an f/4 lens.
  • Sturdy tripod, set it up as low and your composition will allow, and hang your camera bag from the apex to dampen vibrations if there is any wind.
  • Remote camera trigger (wireless, cable release, or 2 second timer mode on Camera)
  • Headlamp or torch for walking back to car
  • Comfy clothes fit for conditions and a camping chair if desired.
The milky way season in the northern latitudes runs from Apr - October. With the MW core rising in the E/SE and sets in the S early in the season. If you want stars to show up well you’ll want to plan the trip for a time when the moon is either New (rising and setting with the sun) or just a sliver. This way you can compose your shot and get the MW without it being washed out by the light from the moon.

Night of the shoot:
  • Arrive around sunset
  • Setup tripod, camera and attach remote release or set up 2 second delay shooting mode in your camera menus.
  • Frame your subject, Use Sky Safari Plus or Sky Map to determine where the MW will be from your location and how it will align with the foreground through the night.
  • Set your camera into Manual mode and open your lens aperture as wide as you can.
  • Focus on the foreground subject, take a few pictures during the blue hour just after sun sets. (Don’t move your camera or tripod you can use these shots to add back in some foreground detail in Gimp/Photoshop/etc later)
  • Refocus on a distant object (a bright star, visible planet in the frame.) Use Live view and max magnification to get the star as small a dot as possible. Here is a link from Mike Berenson’s blog, one of the instructors that I've learned night photography from: The article covers details on the topic of focusing at night
    http://www.nightphotographyworkshop.com/articles-tutorials/how-to-focus-in-the-dark
    I use option 2.
    • Set ISO as high as it can go,
    • Leave the lens wide open,
    • Enable live view and zoom in on any bright pinpoint of light in the composition.
    • Roll your focus ring around until that spot is as small as you can get it.
  • Wait for Full dark Generally 90-120 mins after sunset. Look up nautical twilight for your area in a local weather app or almanac.
  • Take a high ISO test shot to determine proper exposure settings for your location / composition. Again I’m going to link to Mike’s blog as I learned this from him and he does a better job of explaining than I do. http://www.nightphotographyworkshop.com/articles-tutorials/mikes-super-long-exposure-cheat-sheet
    The idea is to get a good exposure quickly then reduce noise by calculating the same exposure value at a lower, less noisy, ISO setting for the rest of the shots. If my High ISO gave me good exposure and my histogram hump was in the middle or to the right of the range at ISO 128k, 8 seconds & f2.8 on my 24mm lens I’ll set my shots for the MW at either 6400, 16 seconds & f2.8 or for slightly less noise and more star trails 3200, 20 seconds & f2.2 (rechecking focus after first shot since I changed the f-stop).
  • Shoot 16+ frames at this setting. Some cameras offer long exposure and high ISO noise reduction, turn on high ISO and turn OFF Long exposure these shots if available on your camera.
  • Now for a long exposure foreground shot. Lower ISO to 200, and shoot either f2.8 for 8 min and 32 seconds or f2.2 for 5 min and 22 seconds of exposure, shoot 3 of these exposures.
With shots like this you’ll have a number of options for post processing.
  • You can combine the bulk of the shots into star trails by aligning the foreground in PS and combining in brighten mode.
  • You can mask the foreground, align the star fields and combine for noise reduction, then use the 3 low ISO foreground shots to replace the foreground for clean noise free composite shot.
Let me know if anyone has any questions and I'll try to answer them.
Boort
I would love to attend and bring the 1DX. Is there a meeting spot beforehand or are we meeting at the location?

Assuming there isn't too many people going already.

Sent from my SM-G892A using OB Talk mobile app
@FJTim The meeting location beforehand is the qfc in town. You can also choose to meet at the site if you can't meet up in time for the convoy out there.

There should be plenty of room for people it seems.

@Boort thanks for all the information, you've definitely helped out. I'm gonna print a few of these off to pass around. Next time you find yourself in the Seattle region, give me a shout and I'll show you a place or two.

Reactions: FJTim

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Faded_80
@Boort thanks for all the information, you've definitely helped out. I'm gonna print a few of these off to pass around. Next time you find yourself in the Seattle region, give me a shout and I'll show you a place or two.
Please do. I'll let you know when I get back up your way so we can head out and see the area!

@CaseyW
If you are equipped to stay warm I'd suggest staying out till Dawn. there is lots to see in the Late Winter sky and you should be in a good position to see and photograph some or all of the following things that might be interesting:
Dusk - (20:30) Orion w/ Sirius on his heels will be up and bright in the SSW, Setting in the WSW Around 22:30
Starting from the Belt of Orion follow the line of the 3 stars in the belt to the S/SE to find Sirius. It is the is the next bright star along that line.

(22:45) Jupiter will rise in the constellation of Libra, Higher in the Sky and a bit more South you'll find the constellation Virgo From which 2 smaller Meteor Showers will be emanating most of the night. Keep an eye on the area of sky above Spica (bright star at the Virgin's knee) for these streaks. Cameras tend to pick up even faint shooting stars.

01:30 the Claws and Body of the Scoripo will be rising in the SSE. as this constillation rises the top of the MW core should be visible behind it at around 02:15 . You can follow the MW in an arch through the sky all the way up north to Capella and on to the constellations of Perseus and Cassiopeia (the W or Chair) in the North.

02:40 Saturn will be rising at the eastern edge of the MW core, followed by Mars @ 03:00 and the moon by 03:10. (as Saturn starts rising the light from the rising moon should start turning the sky more blue washing out the MW as the moon rises.) You'll lose all of the dimmer stars when the moon is up but can use the moon light to light the forest around you to get details in the Mountains and trees around you.

05:00 the sky will be noticeably brighter You might catch a glimpse of Mercury due east around 6 am in the moments before the Sun rises. The sun will be coming up ~6:30

Things to keep in mind:
  • The Camera and equipment is going to get cold I'd keep some hand warmers going to warm your hands after touching any gear.
  • Keep spare batteries warm inside your jacket pocket. Cold batts die fast.
  • If there is any humidity in the air (say about 20%+) carefully watch the front of your lenses for condensation after every few exposures. It will fog up your lens and will make everything out of focus. Rubber banding a Handwarmer pack to your lens near the front can help keep it warm and the condensation at bay.
  • Keep all lights off and set phones and camera displays as dim as possible to maintain your night vision.
  • Have fun and point out cool things to each other as you find them!

Boort

Last edited:

Uriel Ramirez

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sedro Woolley, wa
Member #

I just sold my D7000 because I really didn't get into the hobby, would it be ok if we came out without a camera? My family loves to Star gaze and we have a telescope we can bring out.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I just sold my D7000 because I really didn't get into the hobby, would it be ok if we came out without a camera? My family loves to Star gaze and we have a telescope we can bring out.
@Uriel Ramirez

Camera is not required, Confirm with Gerard @Faded_80 who are setting up the event. The Rally Point for this event details the spaces available. As long as there is room I think you're welcome to join. https://www.overlandbound.com/event/seattle-area-astrophotography-meet-and-campsite-cleanup/

Last I checked there were 3 confirmed as going and a few more Maybes. Unfortunately I can't make it due to work so my spot is now open.

Boort

Faded_80

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Seattle
Member #

yeah, its not that big of a deal. come and join.

Skindoc

Rank 0

Traveler I

Seattle
3 PM take off ? I'll head up later that evening - let me know if any body wants company driving out that evening .. I'm brining my Meade telescope and a camera - should be fun !

Faded_80

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Seattle
Member #

Weather looks pretty shit as of now.

The road will require at least 35s and lockers to get to the site, a significant amount of snow is on the road.

The event will be likely postponed to a future date.

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

I, too, am going to have to bail. The weather makes it easier but the MULE open house (that was not scheduled when this was posted) is calling my name and some folks from work want to make a morning of it. This campout is STILL AN INTEREST and will keep an eye for a reschedule!! This topic, as all photography, interests me!! Thanks!!!

Merk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Renton, WA
Member #

I, too, am going to have to bail. The weather makes it easier but the MULE open house (that was not scheduled when this was posted) is calling my name and some folks from work want to make a morning of it. This campout is STILL AN INTEREST and will keep an eye for a reschedule!! This topic, as all photography, interests me!! Thanks!!!
Whats up with the Mule Re-opening? Are there going to be vendors there?

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

Bit of a bummer as I really was hoping for this trip to be my season opener, but the weather has not been nice and cooperative at all. Not to mention a pretty constant cloud cover that makes viewing the sky all but a pipe dream.

I live up in Easton, and the pass and areas got hit with a good chunk of snowfall. It's been clear for a day, then snow and rain, and then repeats. Old man winter is not wanting to let go. And I have 31" tires, no winch, no lockers so while getting out and dirty would be great, it's not at all what my rig is capable of doing.

And also the Mule Open House is happening (check out the FB page) and I really do want to check that out as well as they should have a good number of people and some vendors there to check out.

Hopefully if this gets postponed, the stars will align, and we will get a cool outing happening.

@DK_XV | PNW | '17 Colorado Diesel

Reactions: Merk

FJTim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

I'm also headed to Mule this morning. Taking my girls new LR4. Come say hi if you see us!

Its hard to miss a white and black LR4 with a Baja rack lol.

Reactions: NetDep

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Whats up with the Mule Re-opening? Are there going to be vendors there?
Yes....

www.dasmule.com

All day deal with - ready for it? - HOT DOGS!!!
I'm also headed to Mule this morning. Taking my girls new LR4. Come say hi if you see us!

Its hard to miss a white and black LR4 with a Baja rack lol.

AWESOME!! See you there!! Hope to be rolling in around 1000'ish....

Reactions: FJTim

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Did this trip get delayed for rain? I'm new to overlanding (but not to astronomy/ photography). I would be very interested to connecting with this group if possible.