US West SD County NEW monthly meet-up

• HTML tutorial

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I am planning on camping about 10 miles south of Salton City where the event is taking place, I don't like camping around 200+ other people. There is a lot of open space out there to camp in, just find something that is fun to get to and has a nice view! Maybe I'll see you out there!

Reactions: jaydanger

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

@jaydanger there is pleanty of camping out at the TDS event. It just all depends on how close you want to be to the crowds and midnight 2 strokes running around. I'm planning on heading about 10 miles south and finding a Nice Dune to park behind with just a couple of buddies. If you looking to go out there I am planning on camping about here 33.199465, -115.876546 tonight maybe head towards Anza Borrego Saturday night.

Reactions: jaydanger

Alain M

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Saint-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
First Name
Alain
Last Name
Messier
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HUA
Hey there! I am new to "sharing overlanding"'' I am more of a lone wolf but that could be interesting meeting new folks with the same interest. What do you bring to these events? Your rig and... ?

Reactions: Ch3lland

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

Hey there! I am new to "sharing overlanding"'' I am more of a lone wolf but that could be interesting meeting new folks with the same interest. What do you bring to these events? Your rig and... ?
Welcome! Depends on the type of event and group dynamic - the quick bar meetups are just a place to chat over a drink and make some future camping/wheeling plans. Nothing special needed! Camping and trail runs could vary depending on the area or what people want to do. Are you wondering about certain equipment you think you want to have, or about other activities to do while out?

Reactions: Alain M

Alain M

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Saint-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
First Name
Alain
Last Name
Messier
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HUA
Welcome! Depends on the type of event and group dynamic - the quick bar meetups are just a place to chat over a drink and make some future camping/wheeling plans. Nothing special needed! Camping and trail runs could vary depending on the area or what people want to do. Are you wondering about certain equipment you think you want to have, or about other activities to do while out?
Hey Chris! I read a little more about the OB meetups and I was wondering if folks brings maps and similar stuffs to prepare their next expeditions or just talk about the past ones. I guess that the bar meetups don't have a specific topic, I get it! Probably the parking lot rig tour for the newbies!

jossay

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Jossay
Last Name
Jacobo
Member #

Hey Chris! I read a little more about the OB meetups and I was wondering if folks brings maps and similar stuffs to prepare their next expeditions or just talk about the past ones. I guess that the bar meetups don't have a specific topic, I get it! Probably the parking lot rig tour for the newbies!
I was a part of the Virginia Shenandoah OB Meetup and the meetups where usually pretty relaxed, over coffee or beers, just to get to know each other and to plan the next trip.

Whoever wanted to part take on the planning of said trip could join, we usually did that over Screenshare online. We used GaiaGPS to plot out the route and potential camp locations. Once that was done we would share the .gpx file with everyone on the convoy. Most of us used our phones or rigged up tablets on our dashboard to navigate using GaiaGPS but always brought hard copies as backup just in case.

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

I was a part of the Virginia Shenandoah OB Meetup and the meetups where usually pretty relaxed, over coffee or beers, just to get to know each other and to plan the next trip.

Whoever wanted to part take on the planning of said trip could join, we usually did that over Screenshare online. We used GaiaGPS to plot out the route and potential camp locations. Once that was done we would share the .gpx file with everyone on the convoy. Most of us used our phones or rigged up tablets on our dashboard to navigate using GaiaGPS but always brought hard copies as backup just in case.
Yep spot on. My first SD meetup I drove a Hyundai Elantra, so things are pretty casual :laughing: While talking and getting to know each other, someone usually mentions they have a general plan/direction they had in mind and invites others to join up with them. The plan unfolds as people chime in about past trips to the area or see interesting trails they want to check out along the way. Most of the time we are just looking at phones or tablets but I have to say I was impressed with a packing tape laminated map that made an appearance a couple of months ago.

I am overdue for a weekend camping trip so that will be the next thing on my radar. Part of me wants to make it a fishing trip so eyeing some lake areas at the moment.

hopkillin

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
Hello everyone. Sorry for the lack of messages an planning. We are having a hard time keeping my youngest son healthily. Currently sick with pneumonia. ☹ I do want to plan a trip for the end of this month. I’m thinking maybe sheep canyon? Or maybe valley of the moons? I’m going to do sheep canyon next weekend if we can get my son healthy, if a few rigs want to join we have some room.
We can do the meet up this weekend 3/15 and chat about the trip. Say coffee bean and tea leaf in mission valley say 9am?

925 Camino de la Reina
San Diego, CA 92108
United States

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

@hopkillin I don't know how many people are available to meet up Sunday mornings. Most of the Saturday morning meet ups I've attended typically have a good turn out since most people are kicking off their weekend and looking for things to do.
I kind of liked the Thursday evening meet ups to grab a beer after work and chat about plans for a run/camping, because you never know and there may be a weekend trip that comes out of the meeting??

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

I am overdue for a weekend camping trip so that will be the next thing on my radar. Part of me wants to make it a fishing trip so eyeing some lake areas at the moment.
The end of desert season leads to mountain/lake season!

So evidently OB forums no longer sync with my app so I'll be slower to respond to stuff.

hopkillin

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
We can keep it to Thursday. Let’s do the 19th at bitter brother. Or we can go to a different place?

Reactions: Snupee

jaydanger

Rank 0

Contributor II

San Diego
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Sloan
Member #

I'm going to try and make it to Bitter Brother Thursday, if work/corona virus doesn't interfere I'll see you guys there.

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Well I just heard that all Bars/restaurants are deemed hazardous to our health and are being closed down until the end of the month. Even though I think a little alcohol would do the body good to fight off a virus, it looks like everything is going to be on lock down. Delivery and drive through are still open, so if Tyler can serve us in the parking lot we might be able to get away with it?

Attachments

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Well I just heard that all Bars/restaurants are deemed hazardous to our health and are being closed down until the end of the month. Even though I think a little alcohol would do the body good to fight off a virus, it looks like everything is going to be on lock down. Delivery and drive through are still open, so if Tyler can serve us in the parking lot we might be able to get away with it?
We can speak over CB, too.