SpaceGhost

Rank 0

Contributor II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Martinez
I was thinking the same, but I forgot my weekend is booked up unless it's suuuuuuper early on Sunday. I might send another Subaru in my place for reference. You thinking of going down from Banner Grade to the S2 or up from the S2? I've only personally gone up.
Was thinking the same, I guess I’ve missed out on all the latest news, and awesome pics since I stopped receiving updates and was not aware of it. Really excited about the November meet coffee run. Been super busy working on every vehicle except mine![emoji21] how is the overall terrain? Would love to make it out there for the pre-run.

hopkillin

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
I think I’m going to go from s2 up. Who ever wants to join can come for the pre run. I’ll be at regulars wanted in Julian at 7am.
I was thinking the same, but I forgot my weekend is booked up unless it's suuuuuuper early on Sunday. I might send another Subaru in my place for reference. You thinking of going down from Banner Grade to the S2 or up from the S2? I've only personally gone up.
[/QUOTE

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

I think I’m going to go from s2 up. Who ever wants to join can come for the pre run. I’ll be at regulars wanted in Julian at 7am.
Okay after hours of trying to convince myself I can be back in San Diego by noon. I probably shouldn't try to squeeze it in.

Now I've got to convince myself that spending the night there then just saying hi in the morning is also wouldn't work.

Reactions: hopkillin

hopkillin

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
Okay after hours of trying to convince myself I can be back in San Diego by noon. I probably shouldn't try to squeeze it in.

Now I've got to convince myself that spending the night there then just saying hi in the morning is also wouldn't work.
Hahahaha I was looking for you. So did the pre run. I’m impressed that you did that trial in a subu. You must be a tire placement king. Lots of ruts and washouts. Looks like one or two new rock slides. Tight fit. Not sure a full size truck will fit with out some body marks.

Begin was sand and soft tree/brush pin stripping.
We will stop an air down for those that want and do a drivers meeting. Super fun trail it’s soft sand for about a mile then it turns to river rock. At about 2.5 miles in the climbing starts and gets fun. Their are 3 tight fit spots but with a spotter we will be good. Was in 4hi 90% of the time. I’ll probably go 4lo about half way that is where the ruts and climbing comes in.

The meeting spot for coffee opens at 7 if you plan on getting food try and arrive around 7. I would love to be heading out around 8:30. That would put us at the trail head around 9 with a wrap up time around 11-11:30. Julian beer company opens at 11 if we want to go back and grab some pizza and beers. If we don’t want to hang out in Julian we could always book it to alpine and hit up alpine brewing company as an option also.

We will try and grab another radio to help with spotters and who ever doesn’t have one. We will most likely be on gmrs channel 7. Frequency 462.7125. If you bigger that a tundra you might want to skip this trail. But we can always move some of the bigger rocks to help get thru.

If you have any questions message me or leave them here.

I will be leaving la Mesa around 6 am it took me just about an hour to get out to Julian.

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Thanks for the report! Yeah I decided I couldn't be that ambitious last weekend. But a couple of my Subaru buddies were out there and I was hoping you'd run into them. They also mentioned it was worse than it was in March. I'd probably need a spotter or stack rocks on that hairpin turn l before that fallen rock and a spotter stretch that follows.

There is the option of taking Rodriguez Spur as a bypass before it gets tight and Rocky.

Reactions: SpaceGhost

iluvdrt

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Oceanside, Ca
Member #

I just did this trail in my Brat last weekend. It's a little rougher than previously, and I'd expect the rain this week to possibly make tougher.
There is a switch back where 2 big boulders are in the trail and to go around them is precariously close to the edge. Going up will be a lot tougher than going down. We might need to move at least one of the boulders. It's been there awhile and honestly should probably be moved before someone rolls and the trail is closed.

The hard stuff can be bypassed through Rodriguez Spur trail.

SpaceGhost

Rank 0

Contributor II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Martinez
Does this trail require rigs to be modified? Or is it doable stock on most? I feel I Have missed out too much already and want to get out there

iluvdrt

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Oceanside, Ca
Member #

I'm unsure at this point. My throw out bearing is making bad noises, so I may have to replace that sooner than later.

SpaceGhost

Rank 0

Contributor II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Martinez
Just got to thinking right now the meetup is tomorrow morning and I have a weight bench taking up all the room in the back! But since I need to unload it I thought I’d ask anything in particular I should carry? To be honest I don’t have even a setup yet. Been delaying so long that what I do is just load up tools, lights, and all other basics in the back. When really I want to make a dedicated setup to not be loading and unloading everything.

Reactions: hopkillin

hopkillin

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
Just got to thinking right now the meetup is tomorrow morning and I have a weight bench taking up all the room in the back! But since I need to unload it I thought I’d ask anything in particular I should carry? To be honest I don’t have even a setup yet. Been delaying so long that what I do is just load up tools, lights, and all other basics in the back. When really I want to make a dedicated setup to not be loading and unloading everything.
I Carrie some simple tools a tow strap my hi lift and a small tire repair kit with a small air compressor. Besides the basic PT WATER AND A SHOVEL.

hopkillin

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
Hello everyone, first I want to thank everyone that came out for the meet last weekend. The trail was AWSOME and super fun run. We have a great turn out for coffee and trails. Next month we will be will be moved up a week to the 19th.

We will be at a brewery. Not sure what one. Thinking some where in Miramar area. I have a few places in mind.

DECEMBERS MEET UP WILL BE THE 19th @ 6:00pm.