Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hi all, new member here. Im new to overlanding, fairly familiar with "wheeling" I'm excited to get into this because it's something my wife and I can both be apart of.
The rig is a 1980 IH scout II. I swapped in a 7 3 Idi NA.
It has so much torque at low rpm I am excited its in the rig.
It has a factory t-19/ dana 300 TC.
Dana 44 front and rear with a rebuilt powr-lok limited slip in the rear and open front. Axles rebuilt, transfer case rebuilt, engine was resealed and painted. New IP and injectors. I have minor things to do to finish the swap but it is now driving.

I'm looking to add a winch bumper in the front with skid plates, beef up the axles. I'm starting this thread to get ideas from other people who overland in "old iron" sometimes I would love something newer but Its always fun doing it retro. View attachment 136075View attachment 136077
Sweet! Is it a Traveler? Looks long. I had a 76 Scout II. Loved it! Then I wrapped around a pole....

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Man, you guys are making me nostalgic. I miss my Scout II.
View attachment 136406
When did you let her go ? Why ? I'm a little nostalgic also since Odessa was my home for many years back in the Boom days of late 40's early 50's.
My girlfriend still lives there and I love my visits.

G.C. Gordon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Odessa, Texas, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Gordon
Member #

When did you let her go ? Why ? I'm a little nostalgic also since Odessa was my home for many years back in the Boom days of late 40's early 50's.
My girlfriend still lives there and I love my visits.
I loved driving it, but it seemed like I was always working on it. It took 20 minutes to warm up before you could put it in gear, even choked. It had a 304 out of a ‘76. I replace the ‘79 original 345. I bought it with a blown motor knowing that I had the 304 donor. The 727 auto finally gave up on me and I sold it to as a father/son project to a guy I new in San Angelo in 2014.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Not a hijack just a quick trip down memory lane,

Somewhere in Colorado on my way from San diego to Georgia. My 76 Scout II pulling my matching 76 Apache pop up.
20150113_161439.jpg

A lot of good memories were had,
20141203_145850.jpg

A fresh 345
20141203_144502.jpg

Ok, I'm done. Gunna go cry in a dark corner now.

G.C. Gordon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Odessa, Texas, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Gordon
Member #

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Hi all, new member here. Im new to overlanding, fairly familiar with "wheeling" I'm excited to get into this because it's something my wife and I can both be apart of.
The rig is a 1980 IH scout II. I swapped in a 7 3 Idi NA.
Nice Scout, I hope you and your wife will have a lot of good times and memories in it.

Do you have any plans to put a turbo on the 7.3?

Byronscout80

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon, USA
First Name
Byron
Last Name
Sanders
Nice Scout, I hope you and your wife will have a lot of good times and memories in it.

Do you have any plans to put a turbo on the 7.3?
I thought about it, but probably not. I know a guy who has a 6.9 in a scout and he has a turbo. He said cause the scout is a lot lighter than a truck the motors dont get loaded down enough. Even without the turbo the 7.3 moves the scout pretty good!

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I thought about it, but probably not. I know a guy who has a 6.9 in a scout and he has a turbo. He said cause the scout is a lot lighter than a truck the motors dont get loaded down enough. Even without the turbo the 7.3 moves the scout pretty good!
I wasn't so much thinking about more power, I was thinking about all the mosquitoes you'll kill wheeling at at 5000' and up.