Byronscout80

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon, USA
First Name
Byron
Last Name
Sanders
Hi all, new member here. Im new to overlanding, fairly familiar with "wheeling" I'm excited to get into this because it's something my wife and I can both be apart of.
The rig is a 1980 IH scout II. I swapped in a 7 3 Idi NA.
It has so much torque at low rpm I am excited its in the rig.
It has a factory t-19/ dana 300 TC.
Dana 44 front and rear with a rebuilt powr-lok limited slip in the rear and open front. Axles rebuilt, transfer case rebuilt, engine was resealed and painted. New IP and injectors. I have minor things to do to finish the swap but it is now driving.

I'm looking to add a winch bumper in the front with skid plates, beef up the axles. I'm starting this thread to get ideas from other people who overland in "old iron" sometimes I would love something newer but Its always fun doing it retro. 20200119_152457.jpg20200119_152448.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Out near sweet home, only a short 7hr drive away! Lol. I love the LaGrande area, very beautiful.
I love Sweet Home area as well. I used to bale hay as a kid along I5 from Albany to Eugene, mostly around Brownsville and Sweet Home though. We camped out several times in the fields up there as our base camp was near Junction City.

Byronscout80

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon, USA
First Name
Byron
Last Name
Sanders
I love Sweet Home area as well. I used to bale hay as a kid along I5 from Albany to Eugene, mostly around Brownsville and Sweet Home though. We camped out several times in the fields up there as our base camp was near Junction City.
That's the only thing I dislike, I can handle all this rain but when the hay is cut its game over for me! Lol

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hi all, new member here. Im new to overlanding, fairly familiar with "wheeling" I'm excited to get into this because it's something my wife and I can both be apart of.
The rig is a 1980 IH scout II. I swapped in a 7 3 Idi NA.
It has so much torque at low rpm I am excited its in the rig.
It has a factory t-19/ dana 300 TC.
Dana 44 front and rear with a rebuilt powr-lok limited slip in the rear and open front. Axles rebuilt, transfer case rebuilt, engine was resealed and painted. New IP and injectors. I have minor things to do to finish the swap but it is now driving.

I'm looking to add a winch bumper in the front with skid plates, beef up the axles. I'm starting this thread to get ideas from other people who overland in "old iron" sometimes I would love something newer but Its always fun doing it retro. View attachment 136075View attachment 136077
Glad to have you on board. I prefer to build (rebuild) older rigs. What better way to end their lives, at least it's not in a crusher. What engine did you take out of the Scout ? Keep up the good work on your rig and keep us informed with what you do to it. :-)

Reactions: JCWages

Byronscout80

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon, USA
First Name
Byron
Last Name
Sanders
Glad to have you on board. I prefer to build (rebuild) older rigs. What better way to end their lives, at least it's not in a crusher. What engine did you take out of the Scout ? Keep up the good work on your rig and keep us informed with what you do to it. :-)
It had a factory sd33t. It had to rev up to 2500rpm to build any sort of power..I thought what better way to build a scout, an IH with IH diesel power. I am an international/IH guy. My truck has a navistar built powerstroke.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It had a factory sd33t. It had to rev up to 2500rpm to build any sort of power..I thought what better way to build a scout, an IH with IH diesel power. I am an international/IH guy. My truck has a navistar built powerstroke.
I caught that, and was telling my wife how cool that is.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Haha! Thanks man! I thought about a 4bt but they cost so much! And wouldn't have as much meaning.
And every one does 4bt. I like your idea a lot. I love the old IH technology. I had both the 6.9 and the 7.3 IDIs in my younger years, and loved them both. I have been tossing around the idea of putting a 7.3 in my Bronco, but i just purchased a ZF5 5 speed for a small block Ford.

Byronscout80

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon, USA
First Name
Byron
Last Name
Sanders
And every one does 4bt. I like your idea a lot. I love the old IH technology. I had both the 6.9 and the 7.3 IDIs in my younger years, and loved them both. I have been tossing around the idea of putting a 7.3 in my Bronco, but i just purchased a ZF5 5 speed for a small block Ford.
Itd fit! I like scouts because they're the same size as a 4 runner but a v8 can fit! Plus 4bt rattle way to much.. and imho slightly overrated. .

Reactions: M Rose

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I would have thought it had a 304, 345 or 392 ci International. I never heard of a sd33t..?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Itd fit! I like scouts because they're the same size as a 4 runner but a v8 can fit! Plus 4bt rattle way to much.. and imho slightly overrated. .
Yes the Motor would fit, bit my new transmission I’m swapping in now would have to be swapped out, along with all the drive lines, t case, and everything else I have put into my baby.

Byronscout80

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon, USA
First Name
Byron
Last Name
Sanders
Yes the Motor would fit, bit my new transmission I’m swapping in now would have to be swapped out, along with all the drive lines, t case, and everything else I have put into my baby.
Just a small list [emoji23][emoji23] I did a sae4 to sae2 adapter so I didn't have to change anything transmission,transfer case or drive line wise

Byronscout80

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon, USA
First Name
Byron
Last Name
Sanders
I would have thought it had a 304, 345 or 392 ci International. I never heard of a sd33t..?
A idi turbo diesel made from nissan... with a turbo they make about 110hp or so.. and are cold blooded!. IH used them as a economy option. If I had a gas v8 I would've just rebuilt it and added fuel injection. The IH SVs are over built and made to keep running!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The ZF5 was also used behind the 460 and 7.3, and they are easier to find than the SBF one I have. Since the ZF5 was built in both BB and SB configurations, fining an adapter to go from BB to SB is nearly impossible