Scandinavia

• HTML tutorial

GeneralJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Lahti, Finland
Member #

Yeah, why not. Apparently I am the only member / badge holder from Finland, but there should be more coming this year after I get those friends of mine to join OB. I have some, not much but some experience about overlanding in northern Finland, Sweden and Norway.

David Seidler

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Copenhagen
Member #

Brilliant GeneralJ, I have some colleagues here in Denmark which I am sure will sign up to OB soon. Slowly but surely.

Michael, thanks for the support!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

David Seidler

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Copenhagen
Member #

To the very tiny but hopefully growing Scandinavia group. I have tracks and gpx routes to share on overlanding in Iceland south Sweden and south Norway if anyone is interested. We are looking for info in overlanding in Finland as potential destination for this summer.

All the best, David

Reactions: Michael

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Just joined OB.

Based in Sandnes, Norway.

I have a lot of experience exploring Norway, Iceland, Faroe Islands.

Lots of data, info, maps, books, photos, videos, etc....

Glad to help anyone that wishes to plan a OB trip in these countries.

David Seidler

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Copenhagen
Member #

Yeah, why not. Apparently I am the only member / badge holder from Finland, but there should be more coming this year after I get those friends of mine to join OB. I have some, not much but some experience about overlanding in northern Finland, Sweden and Norway.
GeneralJ, we are heading to north Finland on Friday for a month, do you have any suggestions? We love large desolate landscapes we can camp in with our 4x4.

All the best, David

GeneralJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Lahti, Finland
Member #

Hi David. I was just actually having a chat with Finnish overlanders about different route options in northern Finland and specially about where you are allowed to drive and where not.

Roads in Finland are numbered and different amount of numbers tell how "big" road it is. Highways and main roads are numbered from 1 to 99 are with two or more lanes and oncoming traffic is separated with a fence or grass lane. Regional roads are numbered from 100 - 999, usually just one lane per direction and just road markings separate oncoming traffic. Smaller connecting roads are numbered with four or five numbers. Four number connecting roads may have pavement, but usually don't. Five numbered or roads without a number are 100% gravel or dirt roads. Those smaller roads may also be private roads, but you are allowed to use them. Private roads usually have a sign "Yksityinen" or "Yksityistie" in beginning to inform you about their nature. If there is a sign "Puomi", it means that road does have a boom or a barrier that may be locked without further notice. Worst case scenario is situation where you drive past an open boom and when you are coming back, it is locked.

All roads that you can find in a map are drivable so for getting the most of your stay in Finland - try avoid those big highways when you reach north. Smaller private and boomed roads are not marked in a map, for a road to be in a map it cannot be private.

Finland is usually split in three different areas; north, west and east. North is the part that starts from Oulu level (seaside city). Lower Finland is then split to West and East. West Finland does not give some much any interesting scenary, because it is pretty much flat without any large lakes or larger rivers etc. East Finland in the other hand, is the part where Finland is also famous - lake after lake after lake with some amazig height differeces in the scenary.

So, North Finland starts pretty much from Oulu level. When you reach Artic Circle or Rovaniemi level, scenary is starting to change a lot and you can say you have reached Lapland. From Artic Circle to north, trees are getting lower and forests are getting fewer, escpecially in western part of Lapland. Eastern part of Lapland is mostly forest with mountains and a lot of national parks (driving in national parks is strictly forbidden). Western Lapland is amazing and I definitely recommend that part of Finland.

Camping in Finland is easy, for you can set up your tent pretty much anywhere as long as you stay there only one or two night max. In national parks, there usually are designated camping areas and setting up a tent anywhere else is then forbidden. If you are looking for a shower, you can ask about shower possibility from gas stations, public houses / inns, camping areas or in Lapland you can just stop a local and ask.

Be prepared for mosquitoes and gnats (extremely small mosquitoes in Lapland). By far the best possible spray that works is OFF! TEHO. You can find this pump spray in any gas station, pharmacy or super market in Finland and it costs about 7 - 10 euros. It is effective against gnats, mosquitoes, gadflys/horsefly and ticks and I higly recommend!

And of course you know that at this time of the year, sun is shining around a clock in Lapland and next sunset is around late July.

If you get in trouble with your 4x4 like lost, stuck, break anything etc. or you like to get any advice about the route, I recommend joining a group in Facebook called Offipalsta.com before getting in trouble. It is a group for Finnish 4x4 enthusiastics and we are very willing to help you with your stay.

RondjeAarde

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Usquert, Netherlands
First Name
Merijn
Last Name
Boers
Member #

Just joined OB.

Based in Sandnes, Norway.

I have a lot of experience exploring Norway, Iceland, Faroe Islands.

Lots of data, info, maps, books, photos, videos, etc....

Glad to help anyone that wishes to plan a OB trip in these countries.
Hey @Neil Q Smith !
We are planning a trip to Norway / Sweden for 2 weeks (4 -> 20 Oct.)
The purpose of this trip, is essentially to test our new overland rig build. (To prepare for our 6 month overland journey)
We allready know Norway a little bit, because we haved explored it on pavement before.
But now we would really like to get to know some good offroad tracks. And it would be the best if we can stay offroad for a long time and camp along the trail. (something like that)
Do you have any routes ore area suggestions for this kind of long offroad tracks?

Would love to hear from you! thanks.

Reactions: Neil Q Smith

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Hei

Thanks for your message.

I don't actually know of any long distance offroad tracks here in Norway.
There may be some up north (not been), but certainly not in the south.

Most of what I do over here is based around using the national road system, to cover the long distances, and then taking small steps off the road to campsites.
Of course the national roads can be quite small and exciting over the mountain passes, but they are not really offroad tracks.
We always use the public internet maps to plan our trips - nothing special.

Also, due to loosing my job couple years ago, and my mother being long-term sick back in UK, I haven't been actively out with the truck for a long, long time.....
Having zero income and tough family commitments has taken me totally out of the OB game.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Suggest you contact the other Norway-based OB members - they may have a lot more knowledge to share.

Good luck and all the best.
Cheers
Neil :)

Reactions: Polaris Overland

FrankieNL

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Sipoo, Finland
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Berenschot
Member #

Hi, I am Dutchy Living in Finland!

I've been living in Finland now for a few years and recently moved away from Helsinki to somewhat more countryside (Sipoo). Which allowed me to buy myself a car to do a little more adventuress trips.

I travel annually in the winter to Lapland for Snowboard trips and during summer spend a few weeks exploring mostly east and mid of Finland.

One of my wishes is to visit all of Finland's national parks. So far I have been to about 10.

If you have any tips about must-go places or meetups feel free to tag me! I'm always up to meet like-minded people!

tediicci

Rank 0

Contributor I

Finland
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Lustig
So im based in Raasepori souther Finland.

I like camping, canooing and fishing. I dont mind traveling around to do any of these. Any tips on Travel destinations are welcome.

Reactions: Joey83

tediicci

Rank 0

Contributor I

Finland
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Lustig
Hi, I am Dutchy Living in Finland!

I've been living in Finland now for a few years and recently moved away from Helsinki to somewhat more countryside (Sipoo). Which allowed me to buy myself a car to do a little more adventuress trips.

I travel annually in the winter to Lapland for Snowboard trips and during summer spend a few weeks exploring mostly east and mid of Finland.

One of my wishes is to visit all of Finland's national parks. So far I have been to about 10.

If you have any tips about must-go places or meetups feel free to tag me! I'm always up to meet like-minded people!

In the small village of Fiskars thers a nice walking path through the Forrest.

Same on Skåldö there isbs place called kopparön that has s campingsite and a
Nature walk path.

Not must see but deffenitly not something afvertised anywhere.

And while in the area check out the archipelagion nstional park. (Need to go by boat) should be tours awailable tho.