scan tools

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have one I purchased at a parts store for less than $50, my mechanic keeps the same model under the desk for quick code reading when someone comes in. For me, it is almost always dust clogging up the evap emissions system, but I want the reader to be sure.

I also throw it in the sedan for road trips. So far it has paid off incredibly to have it, we even were able to get a vehicle out of limp mode when vibration cause a grounding problem.

I forget the brand, but it is available at PepBoys and has a bright orange casing.

Reactions: SLO Rob

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
@SLO Rob I have an older version of this one and it has worked very well.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BOST/OBD1000/N0664.oap?ck=Search_N0664_1276703_3533&pt=N0664&ppt=C0103#itemDetailTab_
I do not know about the WIFI ones at all and could be compatibility issues, I have read in some of the reviews. Being able to capture the codes is very helpful in diagnostic issues. The cheap ones merely read and clear most codes. The expensive $1000.00 and up provide more detailed data such as individual component failure on the newest of vehicles. You could benefit from a cheaper one as the 2000 toy used a more basic OBD2 system, These tools combined with a manual I have found very helpful.....

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I'm using this OBDII bluetooth adapter which connects to my tablet or phone. I use it in conjunction with the Torque Pro App to monitor engine and transmission info and to diagnose and clear faults. (So far the only codes were from the rat damage!)

Do some research to see what benefits you'll get with your particular model vehicle with this combo. I know some give out more info than others.

For a total of $27 it's handy to have running in real-time on the trail.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I'm using this OBDII bluetooth adapter which connects to my tablet or phone. I use it in conjunction with the Torque Pro App to monitor engine and transmission info and to diagnose and clear faults. (So far the only codes were from the rat damage!)

Do some research to see what benefits you'll get with your particular model vehicle with this combo. I know some give out more info than others.

For a total of $27 it's handy to have running in real-time on the trail.
I use the same one and torque too.... if anyone is interested in this one just make sure you don't get the cheap chinese knockoff dongle.... I got one of those. It worked once and then was a paperweight. Then I spent a bit more and got the BAFX one.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I use the same one and torque too.... if anyone is interested in this one just make sure you don't get the cheap chinese knockoff dongle.... I got one of those. It worked once and then was a paperweight. Then I spent a bit more and got the BAFX one.
I'm also using the Torque app on my tablet/phone. I just leave the device plugged in, as it only powers on when vehicle is on.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@stringtwelve So what is the code for "Rat Damage" lol... still can't believe that happened.

Thanks a ton guys. I want a reader and to be able to clear a code too, but didn't want to spend so much. Good to hear some of the >$50 ones aren't too bad.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I am running Dash Command on my iOS devices connected to a bluetooth OBDII reader. I primarily use it to read the trans temp but can setup gauges for most anything I want. Unfortunately for a iOS compatible bluetooth reader you have to spend a lot more but you can use a wifi one for less than $20. I opted for a bluetooth because when on the trails my iPad is connected to my DVR via wifi and didn't want to switch back and forth.

Reactions: SLO Rob

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I have an inexpensive one I picked up at autozone for like $30. I also run a Bluetooth adapter (cant remember the name but was $40) and torq on my phone/ tablet. The app works great ( 0-60 times and hp ratings not so much for me) and I love the convenience. I just recently picked up a nicer scan tool from a friend for a couple bucks that replaced the cheapo. the cheapo no resides in my oops kit in the truck full time for just in case.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Palm Bay, FL, USA
Member #

Also, if you ever upgrade intake and exhaust, engine programmers will have the ability to read and clear codes. I've been running a Pro Comp tuner on my truck for 9 years and pulled countless codes.

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

SCII - use it to keep an eye on temps, manage mileage, track trip details.
It also reads and clears codes..

Bought one for retail, bought another for $20 at a garage sale..

coffeeshark

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
dawn
Last Name
mcclure
I bought an expensive Bosch code reader before I knew about the bluetooth adapters. Wish I'd have known, would've saved me a couple hundred bucks. I run it all the time now with torque. The PCM in my Jeep doesn't have a lot of advanced functionality but it's still useful for reading/clearing codes, gas mileage and emissions. Torque is off because of the gearing and tire size (horsepower I'm not sure about) but hey.