Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Gulches Off Road Park if you are more interested in the wheeling side of things. But, Sumter National Forest has some good camping & forest roads.

SCtundra

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

mrytle beach
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Rea
Member #

I'll start doing a little recon to see what needs to be done and look for potential places to ride. If things go well and I have enough info, I'll start a thread and list a Rally Point.
Please do I just traded my tundra in on a 2016 wrangler so I’m looking for places to ride!!

Lewis86

Rank III

Enthusiast II

North Augusta, SC, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

I'm just outside of Florence. (Effingham).
We love the Sandhills. We mostly do day trips. But, once we get a new tent we will be doing some overnights & weekends to the upstate, NC mountains & NE Georgia. (Want to do the Ga Traverse)

We also like Francis Marion NF down by Charleston. There is also a nice camping spot at the Marsh WMA. Maybe we can do a day trip together at some point. (We're still wet behind the ears with overlanding)
IM HERE IN NORTH AUGUSTA AND WOULD BE UP FOR A TRIP AS WELL. LIKE YOU I AM STILL NEW TO OVERLANDING.

Reactions: TylerTRD2019

ipchay61

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Rinehart
Since this thread is gotten a little active, I thought I would throw something out there.
I live in Effingham, SC (Florence, SC area) out in the country on about 5 1/2 acres. (Not real close to trails though.) But, there are a few places where it's possible to get muddy and challenge your rig. (I would talk to the property owners and get the okay)

My place would be a good place for a monthly meet up and an overnight camp. We could probably accommodate up 40 -50 rigs for camping. We have potable water a place for a bonfire, electric for a PA system and we could even have a group cook out.

My question is would any members within a 100mi or so of Florence SC be interested in having a good place for a monthly or every other month meet-up?

If so, I will see what I need to do to move forward-
I'm in!

Reactions: Pathkiller

TylerTRD2019

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Boland
Member #

I talked to one of park rangers at the Sumter National Forest and he’s thinking they’ll start opening up for overnight camping June 5th. There’s a nice spot on the water called grapevine campground I used to go to back in high school days it’s not any crazy off-road trails just real scenic but it’s a nice place to go just to get out of the house and relax. I’m thinking we should plan something and make a day or 2 day trip there if y’all are interested.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I talked to one of park rangers at the Sumter National Forest and he’s thinking they’ll start opening up for overnight camping June 5th. There’s a nice spot on the water called grapevine campground I used to go to back in high school days it’s not any crazy off-road trails just real scenic but it’s a nice place to go just to get out of the house and relax. I’m thinking we should plan something and make a day or 2 day trip there if y’all are interested.
Sounds like a plan. I'm not having any luck around here finding potential places to ride and with all the rain, my property has basically been under a couple inches of water for the past several days. (Not good for Rally Point camping at all)

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Hey all, the new guy here. I'm Ryan (aka Ryno by some). so looking at the website for Sumter national forest it says no car camping. does anybody no exactly what the mean by that because i would assume that would include overland camping being that we use our vehicles to get to these places. by all means correct me if i'm wrong. i'm very new to this whole overlanding scene. i want to go up that way and experience that area but just want to make sure im following the rules and practicing good TREAD LIGHTLY ethics. i dont want to be one of the people that ruins it for everybody else.

Reactions: RickLB

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Florence here, I'm working on getting info together for the Sand Hills area. lots of dirt roads and some camping spots to explore.
I'm in Effingham. I'm glad to see someone else in my area likes the Sandhills. Surgarloaf Rec Area camping is still closed. But, there is camping at a couple of ponds up there and at H Cooper Black. There are several places I want to go. Parts of the SC Adventure Trail (aka SCAR), being one of them and the upstate & N. Ga being two others. But, I would like to have at least one other vehicle along for added safety. (Maybe we can get together over lunch or something and discuss trying to get more people in our area involved.)

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I know Grape Vine. Up on the Chauga? Used to do some trout fishing up in the area. A few years ago was by there. LOL,, the only road marking was a GV spray painted on the back of the stop sign. Better fishing on the Chattooga so I usually head up there. Burrell's Ford CG (I see they just reopened 6/22) and Hwy. 28, Fish Hatchery on East Fork. Went up the Horse Pasture to the overlook last year on my way further up. Could probably car camp if small group. May not be permitted? I was tempted to spend the night there but headed on up on the Parkway since it was hot. Let me know if anyone comes up with a rally point...especially if fishing is close.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Hey all, the new guy here. I'm Ryan (aka Ryno by some). so looking at the website for Sumter national forest it says no car camping. does anybody no exactly what the mean by that because i would assume that would include overland camping being that we use our vehicles to get to these places. by all means correct me if i'm wrong. i'm very new to this whole overlanding scene. i want to go up that way and experience that area but just want to make sure im following the rules and practicing good TREAD LIGHTLY ethics. i dont want to be one of the people that ruins it for everybody else.
I'm thinking that what they mean is no designated dispersed camp sites. I promise you there are hundreds of FS roads that one could remotely camp. I have hunted around Union County and have seen many camp sites the good ole boys use. I would look for side roads/dead ends off the main FS roads. Deer season might not be the best time as one could encounter every sort of creature! The part of Sumter NF in the mountain region does not have very many open FS roads that I have noticed so it is a different situation there. Seems geared towards hiking to remote camping.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I know Grape Vine. Up on the Chauga? Used to do some trout fishing up in the area. A few years ago was by there. LOL,, the only road marking was a GV spray painted on the back of the stop sign. Better fishing on the Chattooga so I usually head up there. Burrell's Ford CG (I see they just reopened 6/22) and Hwy. 28, Fish Hatchery on East Fork. Went up the Horse Pasture to the overlook last year on my way further up. Could probably car camp if small group. May not be permitted? I was tempted to spend the night there but headed on up on the Parkway since it was hot. Let me know if anyone comes up with a rally point...especially if fishing is close.
I've been contemplating a trip to Grapevine CG or up on the Chattooga just the past couple of hours. (I love any kind of fishing. But, trout fishing is at the top.) I've been living in SC for over 30 years. But, I've never fished the trout streams. This weekend looks good as far as weather goes. But, it's a long haul from Florence just for an overnight. Do you have any idea how hard it may be to grab a site on a "LATE" Friday night (10pm or so) or a Saturday afternoon up there?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I've been contemplating a trip to Grapevine CG or up on the Chattooga just the past couple of hours. (I love any kind of fishing. But, trout fishing is at the top.) I've been living in SC for over 30 years. But, I've never fished the trout streams. This weekend looks good as far as weather goes. But, it's a long haul from Florence just for an overnight. Do you have any idea how hard it may be to grab a site on a "LATE" Friday night (10pm or so) or a Saturday afternoon up there?
Pretty sure it's all first come first serve basis. I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Grape Vine doesn't seem all that well known, except the locals, in my experiences up there. Not too much as trout streams go. There is a bridge over the Chauga further down with a parking area. That area I know is stocked. Looking at the maps I think it must be where Rd. 290 crosses. GV is up near intersection of 196 & 193 at crossroad called Whetstone. From there go south on 193 and it's first road on left. Couple of miles of gravel down to river. Should be plenty of room but might be good to show up there in daylight.
Burrell's Ford CG is a ways from the parking area. How are you setup for camping? There are some sites just upstream if you can hump it some but fishing is more suited to fly rod there. Email me at robduncan0838@att.net and we won't be blowing up the site with PMs.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm in depending on my work schedule

Cynon

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Carlsbad, CA
First Name
Corky
Last Name
boucher
Your bump got my attention. I am moving to Lexington from San Diego and lots of good information here. When I saw the date of the threat I was a little disappointed but am assuming people are still out and about?

Reactions: TylerTRD2019