SC roll call

• HTML tutorial

Brick Sprickly

Rank III

Advocate II

No I’m guard I been on the trails in humvees but never my POV
Most of the accessible trails are in the south portion of the base. All the northern and eastern sections are mostly range and impact zones, and you still have to be mindful when on the firebreaks because several routes will take you into restricted areas for POVs (many times without signs or warnings). Best is to get a loose understanding of those trails through google maps beforehand as there is no printed reference nor sign maps available.

A decent section is past the golf course on Semmes Rd. Across the street from Twin Lakes Park you'll see a sandy entrance to some trails on the left hand side. Alternately, you can drive past the Ft. jackson Big Game Check Station and there's several trails further down that gravel road. You'll likely get pinstripes though as the trees are a bit overgrown here.

The southernmost part of the base, off of Ewell Road, has the EIB course trailheads (there's a big EIB badge sign on the shoulder), complete with a big sand bowl/pit to play in.

Further east at Weston Lake there are trails off to the left side of the entrance road on the way to the lodge you can drive on and get lost in. You can only enter this way from the off-post entrance on Leesburg Road. Anything further east of that is Abrams tank ranges from McCrady Training Center so that's a no-go.

The very NE section of base looks promising, near Messers Pond and DuPre Pond, but I believe the only way to get there would be to traverse through no POV zones the entire way. Unless you're a CSM or something you'll likely get destroyed by drill sergeants or more likely range control going out there.

Reactions: JamesSmith

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Hello from Myrtle beach!! I am also looking for trails as Myrtle is all concrete and pavement lol.
I grew up spending every summer on the family tobacco farm inland in Horry County. However, I definitely don't recommend going out and riding farm roads. It's a good way to end up on the wrong side of a shotgun if they don't recognize the truck.

In the general Myrtle Beach area, your best bets are to check out some dirt tracks south in Waccamaw Wildlife Refuge and or further south in Francis Marion NF. You won't find anything technical or particularly challenging, but any day on the dirt is better than one on the asphalt. You can do 100 miles in a weekend in Francis Marion in the dirt (with a couple paved connectors).

If you want something more challenging... there are some tracks in Sparkle Berry Swamp. It's about 2 hours from Myrtle. Carry some extra winch cable, snatch blocks, and recovery gear - especially as we approach hurricane season. It could be a track right now, but in a month it could be a creek.

SCtundra

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

mrytle beach
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Rea
Member #

I grew up spending every summer on the family tobacco farm inland in Horry County. However, I definitely don't recommend going out and riding farm roads. It's a good way to end up on the wrong side of a shotgun if they don't recognize the truck.

In the general Myrtle Beach area, your best bets are to check out some dirt tracks south in Waccamaw Wildlife Refuge and or further south in Francis Marion NF. You won't find anything technical or particularly challenging, but any day on the dirt is better than one on the asphalt. You can do 100 miles in a weekend in Francis Marion in the dirt (with a couple paved connectors).

If you want something more challenging... there are some tracks in Sparkle Berry Swamp. It's about 2 hours from Myrtle. Carry some extra winch cable, snatch blocks, and recovery gear - especially as we approach hurricane season. It could be a track right now, but in a month it could be a creek.
This is by far the most info I’ve gotten about SC since I’ve been doing research thank you for this!!!

Reactions: Retinens803