Satellite Messengers: Garmin InReach vs Spot for Non-emergency Offroad Recoveries

• HTML tutorial

Stag Tacoma

Rank I

Contributor II

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
ODonnell
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Stag
I know these systems have been compared on here before but nobody has asked/answered in the context of Non-Emergency rescues. I overland solo cause that's really my only option, and I've gotten myself stranded a couple times. I'm looking to not have to hike out, hitchhike, and come back again.
Has anyone had experience with Spot's S.O.V? It sounds like the perfect solution if it works for offroad. Otherwise has anyone used Garmin to text an offroad recovery service?

I don't want to use the SOS from either as that seems like a complete misuse. Those are really the only two options I see for my problem but other ideas would be appreciated too.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
I have used Bivy Stick since they launched on kickstarter

I imagine it would be similar to the Zoleo offering/limitations

You can text whomever you want, it will just show up as a regular text from a fixed number when using SMS.

I would imagine the non emegency message would be limited by the recipient, if the tow company/recovery group has a mobile number that supports sms or just a landline

Stag Tacoma

Rank I

Contributor II

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
ODonnell
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Stag
I have used Bivy Stick since they launched on kickstarter

I imagine it would be similar to the Zoleo offering/limitations

You can text whomever you want, it will just show up as a regular text from a fixed number when using SMS.

I would imagine the non emergency message would be limited by the recipient, if the tow company/recovery group has a mobile number that supports sms or just a landline
Ok cool. I haven't heard of them before. I'll have to look into em

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I had to research this Spot stuff you mentioned. It seems like a decent enough idea, just make sure you get stranded where you're covered. From their T&C: "Extrication Service - If stuck in a ditch or another inaccessible area; assistance will be provided if the location is within fifty feet of a paved road, highway or authorized trail."

Generally, off-road recovery is EXPENSIVE. Unless you have something catastrophic like total engine failure, I would suggest investing more into self-recovery equipment. On that same note, I do not think using your SOS is misuse but rather exactly what they designed it for. Too many people wander off from their vehicles and are never seen again.

Bivy Stick looks like a great option too. I don't have any personal experience in any of these but that's what I've gathered so far.

Stag Tacoma

Rank I

Contributor II

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
ODonnell
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Stag
I had to research this Spot stuff you mentioned. It seems like a decent enough idea, just make sure you get stranded where you're covered. From their T&C: "Extrication Service - If stuck in a ditch or another inaccessible area; assistance will be provided if the location is within fifty feet of a paved road, highway or authorized trail."

Generally, off-road recovery is EXPENSIVE. Unless you have something catastrophic like total engine failure, I would suggest investing more into self-recovery equipment. On that same note, I do not think using your SOS is misuse but rather exactly what they designed it for. Too many people wander off from their vehicles and are never seen again.

Bivy Stick looks like a great option too. I don't have any personal experience in any of these but that's what I've gathered so far.
I have pretty good gear, def gotten myself out of a couple sticky situations. But I've also been stranded in deep snow with no winch points. Places where traction pads didn't help either. Obviously pulling yourself out is ideal but that hasn't always worked for me.
The authorized trail thing gives me some confidence and I suppose that's a good point on the SOS. Thanks for the advice.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Ok cool. I haven't heard of them before. I'll have to look into em
Since they came from kickstarter, I got in when they were very competitively priced. At a time, they were the cheapest offering on the Iridium network and they had the least fees, was able to just turn on and off as needed.
I also liked that they were like 5 years ahead of Garmin in having a usb-c port

Tangentially, some yahoo clout chaser last snow season made a big old stink about needing rescue (but yet felt safe enough to make the whole thing a Youtube video) at some point the local Sheriff doxxed him and put him on blast, the whole situation got super unprofessional.

But it did highlight the expectations/limitations of the "rescue" button (on Garmin, but I imagine its the same for everyone)

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
I have pretty good gear, def gotten myself out of a couple sticky situations. But I've also been stranded in deep snow with no winch points. Places where traction pads didn't help either. Obviously pulling yourself out is ideal but that hasn't always worked for me.
The authorized trail thing gives me some confidence and I suppose that's a good point on the SOS. Thanks for the advice.
I have used successfully once, so annecdotal at best, the dead man recovery anchor can be used if the snow is wet. (Utah pow may not work)

Reactions: Stag Tacoma

Geared4Utah

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Lehi, Utah, USA
First Name
Dane
Last Name
Quittner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYM748
I have a spot Jeep edition and the texting function works but the delay with satellites can be unexpected. The S.O.V. Is a great option you just need to set it up prior to needing it. It also has the ability for custom check-in messages for your loved one’s peace of mind. Been happy with it able to turn it off during the off season and back on when needed.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

I have an inReach unit, but I've only tested it since I've not actually needed it for getting stuck or other "emergency". According to Garmin, when you push SOS on an inReach, you then have a text conversation with an operator at their call center. During this conversation you can relate that you are not in a life-threatening emergency but have merely gotten stuck/broken down, at which point they can contact a tow or recovery service.
Of course, you can also contact a friend the through the device, and have the friend assist or make recovery arrangements with a service.

Last edited:

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I really like this device, my Garmin Montana 700i.
I've used the other Garmin Inreach devices and their interface is awful, the same as their other backpacking GPS units.
The Montana interface is more like a mobile phone, with proper touchscreen controls and message typing.
The display is large and clear and I can use it for vehicle and backpacking navigation and track/activity recording.
The weather app is excellent and gives you up-to-date information when you are out of phone range.
The unit is robust and waterproof. I have a spare battery so I can change it and not need to find a charging point for more than a week.
I can leave my mobile phone at home or turned off when I am out in the bush, knowing that I am contactable and I can message out when I need to.

Garmin Montana.jpg

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Don't forget about the Zoleo. We've used ours just for occasional non-emergency text messaging and it works pretty well.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I do have a Motorola Defy. It is the most economical satellite messenger AFAIK and it uses your phone with the Bullit app.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I have an inReach unit, but I've only tested it since I've not actually needed it for getting stuck or other "emergency". According to Garmin, when you push SOS on an inReach, you then have a text conversation with an operator at their call center. During this conversation you can relate that you are not in a life-threatening emergency but have merely gotten stuck/broken down, at which point they can contact a tow or recovery service.
Of course, you can also contact a friend the through the device, and have the friend assist or make recovery arrangements with a service.
I also want to add that the inReach has a UI app, Earthmate, that I like. Makes it a lot easier to communicate using your phone to type a message than the little buttons on the device.