Satellite Communicator--Which is Best Deal?

• HTML tutorial

shrdt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Spfd Oredgon
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hardt
I opted for a Starlink which has been reliable for me and gives me the ability to actually make phone calls to communicate in detail any issue I may be having in case of an emergency. Plus it gets me Internet in remote areas so I can update maps and do research if i want to change plans once out in the middle of nowhere.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I opted for a Starlink which has been reliable for me and gives me the ability to actually make phone calls to communicate in detail any issue I may be having in case of an emergency. Plus it gets me Internet in remote areas so I can update maps and do research if i want to change plans once out in the middle of nowhere.
I would say Starlink is a great tool to augment the more specific services/devices but it's by no means a replacement for a dedicated device and service because it's not self-contained, has to be deployed in order to use (unless you have an in-motion or permanent install) and it's very sensitive when it comes to having enough visibility of the sky in order to work. Starlink is a "fair weather" service and device, and while it does make use of satellites it's not really a satellite communicator as it's not good for emergencies, casual comms, or check-ins.

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

It looks like the interface is very simple. The Garmin can be complicated with sending texts. I had some troubles with it from time to time.
Complicated because that is exactly what Garmin wants.