Satellite Communicator--Which is Best Deal?

• HTML tutorial

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I've used a Garmin (Older Delorme) Inreach and had a decent experience with it. It has since broken down and I'm looking to get a new one. But I see Spot and Zoleo as competitors.

I'm wondering which is the best bang for the buck. In other words, it works as it should, but costs the least. If it doesn't work as it should, I wouldn't want it for any savings.

What would I expect from Spot or Zoleo for a plan that includes some texting (doesn't have to be a lot) and map tracking? I used to buy insurance with the Garmin, as well, and found it reasonable. It was something like $25 for a year with $50k coverage per incident with up to 2 incidents ($100k total). That includes rescue and hospitalization, etc.

The insurance is not a big consideration. The activation fee and monthly fee are what I'm more interested in. With the Garmin I had a plan that updated location every 10 minutes, if I recall correctly.

I found a refurbished Inreach Mini for $250. The Zoleo is $199. That's the cheapest of them for the hardware, anyway.

Any shared experiences are appreciated!

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I have a Zoleo. I like it a lot, it works, the plan is reasonable, and it's not a Garmin product. That's all I want/need.
It looks like the interface is very simple. The Garmin can be complicated with sending texts. I had some troubles with it from time to time.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I will admit that I am not a Garmin fan...having owned several and NEVER really working well with any of them.

Zoleo is refreshing!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have the zoleo. It works great. I bought it based on the recommendation of a friend of mine who has one. Honestly, I feel like the biggest advantage of the zoleo vs the inreach is that zoleo gives you a dedicated number that doesn't change, so people can text it, just like a cell phone.

Also, the hardware periodically goes on sale for 150, if you're willing to wait to catch it on sale. It usually happens sometime in December.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I just bought the Motorola Defy for the same reason - you can use it like an app on your phone. I don't foresee a situation where I won't have my phone near (and both need to be charged as well...).

Reactions: DanW

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I am curious about the texting complication you have had with the Garmin/Delorme. It's pretty straight forward in the Earthmate app.

For what it's worth, I am still using an old yellow Delorme InReach SE. It just works and still has a phenomenal battery life, even when tracking. Garmin still hasn't managed to screw up the InReach system since they acquired it... yet... I would be cautious in buying a new Garmin device without fully vetting it. Have you considered buying a second hand Delorme InReach?

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I am curious about the texting complication you have had with the Garmin/Delorme. It's pretty straight forward in the Earthmate app.

For what it's worth, I am still using an old yellow Delorme InReach SE. It just works and still has a phenomenal battery life, even when tracking. Garmin still hasn't managed to screw up the InReach system since they acquired it... yet... I would be cautious in buying a new Garmin device without fully vetting it. Have you considered buying a second hand Delorme InReach?
A number of times I had sent texts, they were not received. Even though they appeared to successfully go through.

Yep, I certainly have thought of another Delorme.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I just bought the Motorola Defy for the same reason - you can use it like an app on your phone. I don't foresee a situation where I won't have my phone near (and both need to be charged as well...).
I looked into the Defy but it was a hard pass (I have the Zoleo and wife has an inReach so wasn't serious anyway, but always curious about new products), aside from SOS and pre-programmed check-in messages you can only communicate with other Bullitt Messenger users, there is no 2-way communication via SMS to non-Bullitt users. With the Zoleo and inReach your device is assigned an actual number that can send/receive SMS messages to/from any cell phone, you're not limited to only talking to other specific app users.

Since my wife has the inReach Mini and I have the Zoleo I've had a chance to compare and contrast both. Personally, I find the Zoleo plan more reasonable and a closer fit to how I use it, the Garmin plans don't offer as much value, IMO. The Zoleo is bigger than an inReach Mini but the battery lasts much longer. I have my Zoleo mounted to a dash rail where it charges whenever my truck is on, it can be used while in the mount, and is easily popped out to carry it.

20220728_163436.jpg

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I looked into the Defy but it was a hard pass (I have the Zoleo and wife has an inReach so wasn't serious anyway, but always curious about new products), aside from SOS and pre-programmed check-in messages you can only communicate with other Bullitt Messenger users, there is no 2-way communication via SMS to non-Bullitt users. With the Zoleo and inReach your device is assigned an actual number that can send/receive SMS messages to/from any cell phone, you're not limited to only talking to other specific app users.

Since my wife has the inReach Mini and I have the Zoleo I've had a chance to compare and contrast both. Personally, I find the Zoleo plan more reasonable and a closer fit to how I use it, the Garmin plans don't offer as much value, IMO. The Zoleo is bigger than an inReach Mini but the battery lasts much longer. I have my Zoleo mounted to a dash rail where it charges whenever my truck is on, it can be used while in the mount, and is easily popped out to carry it.

View attachment 266886
I hear you. But when you send a message to a regular phone number it includes a link to that app, so that the recipient can reply. I am sure that in a case of emergency everyone, and in the case of your regular contacts (spouse, etc.) they will have the app already downloaded.

The benefit of this is -to turn your argument around that you just have one cell number and someone doesn't send a reply accidentally to a different number (the one you typically use).

Bit either way, it is good to have an option to stay in contact with someone when you lose cell reception - independent of the tool (and varying costs).

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I have a Garmin Montana 700i.
It has a much better interface than the smaller InReach's, almost like using a standard mobile with a touchscreen and familiar keyboard interface.
Although it doesn't have a consistent phone number, those who need to reach me can enter the Garmin email into the texting screen of their phones.
I bought it for its navigation as well and the screen is big enough for my ageing eyes.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
I hadn't really looked into the Zoleo before... definitely peaked my interest.... I notice inreach says the SMS are 160 character max... but Zoleo doen't mention a max anywhere... anyone with real world experience speak to any sort of limit?

Reactions: PapaDave

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I hadn't really looked into the Zoleo before... definitely peaked my interest.... I notice inreach says the SMS are 160 character max... but Zoleo doen't mention a max anywhere... anyone with real world experience speak to any sort of limit?
From ZOLEO Mobile Messaging App

*Characters supported: SMS/text up to 160, email up to 200, app-to-app 900+.

Reactions: Ebbs

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
ok thanks. I apparently didn't follow the link to the app info.
No worries, I couldn't remember what the limits were so figured I might as well share the official info as a reference. Wasn't meaning for it to come across as RTFM-ish. :D

Reactions: PapaDave and Ebbs

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
No worries, I couldn't remember what the limits were so figured I might as well share the official info as a reference. Wasn't meaning for it to come across as RTFM-ish. :D
oh you didn't at all, very much appreciated it!

Reactions: DRAX

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
oh you didn't at all, very much appreciated it!
I would have been Brandon if it was me. Read Brandon read! Haha jk

• Haha
Reactions: Ebbs and DRAX