Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

That is sexy. I need one! Tell me more about your bedlined trim panels and fender flares?

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Looking great man!
Thanks!

That is sexy. I need one! Tell me more about your bedlined trim panels and fender flares?
The bedliner is not the cheap aerosol can stuff because that comes off easily and doesnt provide enough texture. I bought the roll-on Herculiner which is a polyurethane type and it is much tougher and because they put small rubber chunks in, you get a nice texture. As for the flares, well I have none. Mine is a base model so it didnt have them so I painted the bedliner on to look like the shape of flares.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Thanks!

The bedliner is not the cheap aerosol can stuff because that comes off easily and doesnt provide enough texture. I bought the roll-on Herculiner which is a polyurethane type and it is much tougher and because they put small rubber chunks in, you get a nice texture. As for the flares, well I have none. Mine is a base model so it didnt have them so I painted the bedliner on to look like the shape of flares.
Well you fooled me. I have the flares. I think I will definitely do this. Did you remove the trim to roll it or roll it on in place?

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Well you fooled me. I have the flares. I think I will definitely do this. Did you remove the trim to roll it or roll it on in place?
No, the only thing I removed was the front license plate and spare tire. Everything else I taped off. The kit comes with a scotch pad to scuff up the paint. My first suggestion is to scuff up the bumpers with 120 grit sand paper and use a bumper adhesion promoter. I only scuffed mine up and some areas it didnt stick so well. The second suggestion is to cover the ground completely under the area you will be rolling it on. Alot of the chunks dont always stick and they come flying off. The polyurethane is really tough to get off of cement once it has penetrated.

Meeker

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Jacksonville FL
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Meeker
Member #

Nice looking Trooper. Finding a 5-speed Trooper is not so easy here in Florida. My 1988 SpaceCab is a 5-speed. It does fairly well on 33's. I have been running them since 1989. She has 270,000 miles now and getting tired. Great looking bumper the way.

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Yeah I wa
Nice looking Trooper. Finding a 5-speed Trooper is not so easy here in Florida. My 1988 SpaceCab is a 5-speed. It does fairly well on 33's. I have been running them since 1989. She has 270,000 miles now and getting tired. Great looking bumper the way.
Yeah I was looking at 4runners when I came across this one. Had low miles and well taken care of. Plus it was a bonus that it was 5spd and costs about $4k less for a similar mileage 4runner.

Meeker

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Jacksonville FL
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Meeker
Member #

There are a bunch of autos around. I think they are great vehicles undervalued by most but manual trans is a must for me.

Only major trouble I have is rust between the windshield and sunroof due to me taking in the saltwater. Getting ready to do some metal work.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have one of the autos. They fail horribly often. The 4L30E is the worst. BUT, if you can keep it cool (they run hot if you don't add an aux trans cooler) and keep the fluid fresh they live long lives. Learned that after the third time rebuilding my auto. But since the giant cooler was installed its been fine. Even towed my wifes car from TX to MA when we moved with no trouble.

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Chris you are absolutely correct. I specifically only looked for a manual because of the autos failure rate. My area has them for roughly $600-1000 with the usual failed auto transmission and the occasional over heated engine. I have done plenty of wheeling and some crawling with the manual and it just takes practice and patience. Plus you get a buff left leg by the end of the day.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Chris you are absolutely correct. I specifically only looked for a manual because of the autos failure rate. My area has them for roughly $600-1000 with the usual failed auto transmission and the occasional over heated engine. I have done plenty of wheeling and some crawling with the manual and it just takes practice and patience. Plus you get a buff left leg by the end of the day.
Yeah. I prefer manual too, But I couldn't pass up the deal. One owner, never left Austin TX with 80k on it for 4k. Perfect body, mechanically etc.. Wheeling it killed the trans. I started monitoring the trans temp after the thrid rebuild and noticed it was running way hot and went from a small to very large cooler. works like a charm now. lol

Reactions: Meeker

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Dude. This is awesome.

My '02 has the auto tranny, but for the $1800 I paid for the rig I couldn't pass it up. It's a rust belt rig, but it's in really good condition for a 16 year old rust belter!

Was thinking of painting the lower 3rd of mine...but will be Herculining it exactly as you did.

Looks great!

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Well I was able to make alot of progress this week despite getting rained on one evening. Bumper is about 80% complete. Just need to weld on the section underneath the bumper, reinforce everything on the inside, make end plates and install the flush mounted led flood lights. Here is this weeks progress in pictures.

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Well I was able to make alot of progress this week despite getting rained on one evening. Bumper is about 80% complete. Just need to weld on the section underneath the bumper, reinforce everything on the inside, make end plates and install the flush mounted led flood lights. Here is this weeks progress in pictures.

View attachment 45547

View attachment 45548

View attachment 45549

View attachment 45550

View attachment 45551

View attachment 45552
Great looking Trooper. Love what you've done with the bumper too. Used to have a 93 I bought new. Was a great truck. Great drive train. Interior plastic bits not so much haha.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

MondayMilk

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey man, absolutely love your truck! I myself own a 95' trooper base model (3.2L, 5 speed trans) in black and have began making upgrades. a few quick questions for you man. how far did you crank your t-bar? any trouble with tearing the cv boots after cranking it up? and lastly, do you have any spacers on your wheels? or are they simply offset and if so by how much?

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Hey man, absolutely love your truck! I myself own a 95' trooper base model (3.2L, 5 speed trans) in black and have began making upgrades. a few quick questions for you man. how far did you crank your t-bar? any trouble with tearing the cv boots after cranking it up? and lastly, do you have any spacers on your wheels? or are they simply offset and if so by how much?
Thanks for the compliment!! I dont even remember any more how much I cranked them but the rule of thumb is 4 turns is about an inch. I think I did about 9 full turns to get it leveled with the rear lift springs. Surprisingly ive done 10k on the crank and they are still in good condition. I dont have any spacers on the wheels, just happened to find some with that offset.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Thanks for the compliment!! I dont even remember any more how much I cranked them but the rule of thumb is 4 turns is about an inch. I think I did about 9 full turns to get it leveled with the rear lift springs. Surprisingly ive done 10k on the crank and they are still in good condition. I dont have any spacers on the wheels, just happened to find some with that offset.
Yes. 4 turns is ~1 inch. more than 3 inches requires a spacer so you don't blow through CVs like candy.