Sanitation Solutions

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm curious what everyone does in regards to, how to put this politely, solid bio-waste disposal. I will soon be venturing to Baja and will be camping on beaches where there will be no facilities. Digging a pit is both uncomfortable for the, uh, "user" of said pit and somewhat problematic in sand. I'm looking for some sort of compact solution that will work for a daily driver rig that will allow waste to be carried to some sort of proper disposal.
I do have a Trasharoo, and any trash or other waste containment device would be carried outside the rig. I have seen bucket toilets (which take up quite a bit of space) and compact cartridge toilets. I've even considered a "bumper dumper" like the one on the Top Gear polar special.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We purchased a toilet seat that fits on a 5 gallon bucket. Plastic bags fit over the edge of the bucket to catch waste, and need to be disposed of when you return to civilization (or dumped into a dug hole depending on where you are located at the time.) Seems solid enough, but not the largest opening. About the size of old toilet seats, not the current larger sized.

Amazon link: http://amzn.to/1N0jqhO

For a thoroughly entertaining read, check out the reviews of this hitch mounted throne: http://amzn.to/1LOoVvQ

Reactions: TreXTerra

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Ditto on the luggable loo. The wife says "It's a game changer.".
We put a trash bag in, then snap the lid on over the top. If you throw some kitty litter inside it helps "manage" things until you can get to a disposal area.

Reactions: TreXTerra

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I need to get me one of these...We usually camp where we are only 30min or less from public toilets. Wife will only camp when close to restrooms. I am working on that.

Reactions: murps

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I've used a Luggable Loo, felt like I was sitting on a teeter totter. Also, round buckets are not very easy to pack in the car.
I like the PETT toilet, legs fold under it, pretty solid to sit on, and it's the size of a briefcase.
Along with that, I use the PETT solid waste bags, a double layer bag that has an absorbent inside with a zip-lock enclosure and gelling powder that when you zip it closed and seal it up, you can throw it away in regular trash without guilt.

My $0.02

Dan.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I've used a Luggable Loo, felt like I was sitting on a teeter totter. Also, round buckets are not very easy to pack in the car.
I like the PETT toilet, legs fold under it, pretty solid to sit on, and it's the size of a briefcase.
Along with that, I use the PETT solid waste bags, a double layer bag that has an absorbent inside with a zip-lock enclosure and gelling powder that when you zip it closed and seal it up, you can throw it away in regular trash without guilt.

My $0.02

Dan.
Hey I like that!

M

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
This weekend I heard from a reliable source that dry grass clippings mask odor pretty well, I haven't tried that one yet.
He said you just put some on over each, uhhh, trip, then put it on the compost pile when it's full. This was more from a SHTF perspective rather than the overlander p.o.v.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk