Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hey @Dave Purvis I'm interested in joining you for the trip, but want to make sure my rig is suitable:

1668799466777.png

It's a 2011 Silverado 2500HD (Duramax/Allison) with a solid front axle conversion (WFO radius-arm kit with a '05+ Super Duty Dana 60 and Fox coil overs), 37x13.5" M/Ts, 4.56s, ARBs front and rear, and by the spring my bumper/winch will be on. As you can see I have a Four Wheel Camper Hawk in the back. I do carry a full size spare, a jack suitable for this tank, tools, etc. Additionally the rig has a 60 gallon fuel tank, and even in 4LO aired down I see 10-12 MPG so my fuel range is at least 600 miles of slow, technical work. The rig is very capable, and I grew up wheeling so I'm reasonably competent. That said, it's big and heavy so I want to be sure it won't be a liability for the group.

Thanks,
TJ

Reactions: Iridium

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

Hey @Dave Purvis I'm interested in joining you for the trip, but want to make sure my rig is suitable:

View attachment 245364

It's a 2011 Silverado 2500HD (Duramax/Allison) with a solid front axle conversion (WFO radius-arm kit with a '05+ Super Duty Dana 60 and Fox coil overs), 37x13.5" M/Ts, 4.56s, ARBs front and rear, and by the spring my bumper/winch will be on. As you can see I have a Four Wheel Camper Hawk in the back. I do carry a full size spare, a jack suitable for this tank, tools, etc. Additionally the rig has a 60 gallon fuel tank, and even in 4LO aired down I see 10-12 MPG so my fuel range is at least 600 miles of slow, technical work. The rig is very capable, and I grew up wheeling so I'm reasonably competent. That said, it's big and heavy so I want to be sure it won't be a liability for the group.

Thanks,
TJ
Hey TJ,
Thanks for reaching out and sending details about your rig. It certainly looks and sounds like you are well equipped for this trip!! There will likely be some spots where a full size will be challenged. This is our first trip through the region ourselves, so I can't be too certain about when nor where we will hit those challenges, but from the trail reviews and videos I've seen, there will be a few spots. We are purposefully skipping Devil's Racetrack, which is the most technical and narrow trail in the area, so that is good.

One additional consideration is the group size. Many of the scouted campsites will be small(er) and we'll be fighting over who gets the best views! :) We may just have to split up in a couple places if it's too tight. We will be pushing it with 8-10 trucks, but I am hopeful it wont be a big issue and we are all okay with snuggling up a bit.

Based on what you've shared, I'm willing to take on the challenge if you are. The rest of the group will be local to the RM region, and part of an active OB group here, so it will be good to have some new blood coming along.

Thanks,
Dave

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hey TJ,
Thanks for reaching out and sending details about your rig. It certainly looks and sounds like you are well equipped for this trip!! There will likely be some spots where a full size will be challenged. This is our first trip through the region ourselves, so I can't be too certain about when nor where we will hit those challenges, but from the trail reviews and videos I've seen, there will be a few spots. We are purposefully skipping Devil's Racetrack, which is the most technical and narrow trail in the area, so that is good.

One additional consideration is the group size. Many of the scouted campsites will be small(er) and we'll be fighting over who gets the best views! :) We may just have to split up in a couple places if it's too tight. We will be pushing it with 8-10 trucks, but I am hopeful it wont be a big issue and we are all okay with snuggling up a bit.

Based on what you've shared, I'm willing to take on the challenge if you are. The rest of the group will be local to the RM region, and part of an active OB group here, so it will be good to have some new blood coming along.

Thanks,
Dave
Thanks for the response Dave! FWIW the pic above was on White Rim trail at Moab. I imagine you've run it, just as a gauge I didn't find anything on it challenging nor did the truck. I'll research the trails on this trip more but it sounds like we should be good. As far as camping spots, I don't mind if I don't get the premium view... it's just a good excuse to hike around a bit. ;)

-TJ

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

Hey TJ,
Thanks for reaching out and sending details about your rig. It certainly looks and sounds like you are well equipped for this trip!! There will likely be some spots where a full size will be challenged. This is our first trip through the region ourselves, so I can\'t be too certain about when nor where we will hit those challenges, but from the trail reviews and videos I\'ve seen, there will be a few spots. We are purposefully skipping Devil\'s Racetrack, which is the most technical and narrow trail in the area, so that is good.

One additional consideration is the group size. Many of the scouted campsites will be small(er) and we\'ll be fighting over who gets the best views! :) We may just have to split up in a couple places if it\'s too tight. We will be pushing it with 8-10 trucks, but I am hopeful it wont be a big issue and we are all okay with snuggling up a bit.

Based on what you\'ve shared, I\'m willing to take on the challenge if you are. The rest of the group will be local to the RM region, and part of an active OB group here, so it will be good to have some new blood coming along.

Thanks,
Dave
Thanks for the response Dave! FWIW the pic above was on White Rim trail at Moab. I imagine you\'ve run it, just as a gauge I didn\'t find anything on it challenging nor did the truck. I\'ll research the trails on this trip more but it sounds like we should be good. As far as camping spots, I don\'t mind if I don\'t get the premium view... it\'s just a good excuse to hike around a bit. ;)

-TJ
Sounds good TJ.
Here are a few of the trails that we'll touch along the way, if you want to research any of them....Trails Offroad has good content on all of these, as does YouTube of course.
Fuller Bottom, Eva Conover, Copper Globe Mine, E Kimball Draw - Cat Canyon, Wild Horse Road, and Behind the Reef
Cheers,
Dave

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Looking forward to this. I remember the first time I saw this, west bound on 70 in the middle of the night with a full moon, it was surreal.

Spent two weeks this summer in MT in August for my vacation. Had a hood strap break, rear hatch break, and spent one night in BFE due to rain and Bentonite.20220828_103602.jpg20220827_084323.jpg20220826_143639.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zgfiredude

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Dave, RSVP'd and sent you a message.

The Swell is an amazing place, and you are correct.....Devil's Racetrack would be tough.....it was bad enough on motorcycle!

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

:: never mind, looks like my new truck won't be here by then, or maybe it will, who fricking knows these days, lol :: Looks like you're full, but if you're keeping a waiting list, please put me on it. Have done a couple of trips south I-70 in the area, would love to go back and explore some other parts of the area.

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

@Dave Purvis I'm still looking good to make it, but I'm not 110% (maybe 90%). I don't want to hog an RSVP spot if I'm not certain with so many other folks wanting to join, so let me know if you'd like to move me to more of an "alternate." Also, I noticed on the Rally Point description it mentions a section w/ tunnels that are only 7'2" and narrow. I'm sure I won't make it through those, do you have more details on the bypasses? How much would I end up separated from the group?

Thanks again,
TJ

OffroadRn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Boatman
Member #

I have a 2019 TRD ORP with 3.5" lift and 35's, full recovery gear and winch. I should be able to handle these trails. If any other spots open up please let me know as I am already planning a northern Arizona trip for April/May but could run with this crew instead.

OffroadRn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Boatman
Member #

I have a 2019 TRD ORP with 3.5" lift and 35's, full recovery gear and winch. I should be able to handle these trails. If any other spots open up please let me know as I am already planning a northern Arizona trip for April/May but could run with this crew instead.

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

@tjZ06
I’ll keep you at the top of the list as an alternate, as I do have many looking to confirm for this trip and would like to be able to lock in the participants in the next 30 days. If you can lock it it before then, just let me know.
For the bypasses, it is about 20 miles to circle out to the highway, then back to the trail. There will be several of us having to take the bypass, myself included.

Reactions: Iridium

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

Thanks to all for the continued interest. The trip is overbooked at the moment, so if you have not been able to RSVP, then there is a high likelihood a spot will not open and I encourage you to plan alternate adventures. I will be reaching out to those that have RSVPd within the rig limit for this trip, and have final confirmation/commitments by Feb 1.

Last edited: