US Rocky Mountain San Luis Valley Overland Rally hosted by SLV Great Outdoors and the Colorado Farm Brewery

• HTML tutorial

Mick Daniel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Daniel
Member #

@Mick Daniel, have you given any thought to communication during group travel? CB, Ham, FRS/GMRS?
We will be FRS/ GMRS, though maybe not the best, seems to be the simplest for most. Neal, I recall seeing specific channels for Overland Bound? and maybe Rocky Mountain region too? Any insight there?

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
We will be FRS/ GMRS, though maybe not the best, seems to be the simplest for most. Neal, I recall seeing specific channels for Overland Bound? and maybe Rocky Mountain region too? Any insight there?
Short answer: OLB Comms US: Ham:146.460, GMRS:15, CB:16

Long answer: OB Approved - Overland Bound Comms Frequency Guide

You might want to mention this just to have folks prepared. On every event I attend there's always a last minute scramble to get everyone on the same page.

Reactions: Mick Daniel

Rick Louie

Rank V

Traveler III

Centennial, CO, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Louie
Member #

Hey guys, unfortunately, I'm going to have to bow out of this event. I've got some medical issues that have been lingering and not getting any better (vision) so I need to get that resolved before I go out on the trail again. Have a fun weekend.

• Sad
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Mick Daniel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Daniel
Member #

Hey guys, unfortunately, I'm going to have to bow out of this event. I've got some medical issues that have been lingering and not getting any better (vision) so I need to get that resolved before I go out on the trail again. Have a fun weekend.
Sorry to miss meeting you, hope you get better soon and get back out on the trails!

DustyRoads

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

California, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Dial
Hey Guys,

This is not my home regional but I m passing through on a cross country trip. Do you mind if I participate? If so what comms are required if any?

DustyRoads

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

California, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Dial
Hey Guys,

This is not my home regional but I m passing through on a cross country trip. Do you mind if I participate? If so what comms are required if any?

DustyRoads

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

California, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Dial
Hey Guys,

Mick Daniel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Daniel
Member #

Hi Dusty Roads, Please feel welcome to participate. We are setup just GMRS for comm, using overland bound channel 15. Looking forward to showing folks some cool places Saturday. I will post up more of a schedule for Sat and Sun tomorrow, but we will adjust as needed.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Mick Daniel , I noticed in your Rally Point description that the location is listed as:

Start Point: SAND DUNES MO, CO 81101,
USA
GPS Coordinates: 37.39999, -106.001

The coordinates appear to be the brewery which I believe is your intent. Start Point being the Sand Dunes has me a little confused, however. Was that intentional?

Mick Daniel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Daniel
Member #

@Mick Daniel , I noticed in your Rally Point description that the location is listed as:

Start Point: SAND DUNES MO, CO 81101,
USA
GPS Coordinates: 37.39999, -106.001

The coordinates appear to be the brewery which I believe is your intent. Start Point being the Sand Dunes has me a little confused, however. Was that intentional?
Hi Neal, yes it won't let me change it. I have no idea why. I have put the address in, the coordinates, the business and it always changes the top line back to Sand Dunes Mo. We are meeting and camping at the Colorado Farm Brewery and heading out into the San Juans on Saturday. Google Maps will route you to the right location via coordinates or the by typing in the Colorado Farm Brewery.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@aaron81006,

If you have any interest in hooking up for the drive over, give me a shout or text:

DustyRoads

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

California, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Dial
Hey Guys,

Great meeting everyone. Hope you enjoyed the rest of the weekend. I completed my solo from Creede to Telluride via Stoney Pass, Rocky Gulch, California Pass, Corkscrew Pass, Yankee Boy Basin and Imogene pass...Awesome! Thanks Neal and Mick for all the advice. Heading to Vail from here...any suggestions? Has anyone done Schofield Pass?

GOPR2124.JPGIMG_0394.jpgIMG_0398.JPGIMG_0406.JPGGOPR2128.JPG