Launch Member

Member I

Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
First Name
Josephine
Last Name
Mandala
Member #

Just show up! we are just getting together to hang out and talk story. we meet in side the Corner Bakery at 6:00 in the evening. It is very low key and relaxed. You can always bring a friend or two. There will not be any test to prep for.

Thanks! :)

Reactions: MMc

Enthusiast I

California, USA
First Name
Nicole
Last Name
Emm
Member #

Hey there!

I'm brand new to Overland Bound and would love to join the meet-up on the 19th. Are there any specifics about what to bring/ be prepared for? Just looking to meet some OV people in my area :)
Welcome!
As mentioned super low-key and a fun group with many varying styles of metal on 4 wheels.
looking forward to meeting you!
Nicole

Reactions: MMc

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I decided to attend the TDS event this weekend (sort of) in Ocotillo Wells. I haven't been to it in over 25 years and will just be camping with a few people. My itinerary is pretty much, show up Friday evening, go explore Saturday some then go home Saturday evening or Sunday morning. If anyone wants to pop by and hang out or actually attend the event, let me know and I'll PM you my number. Camping will be dry and someone went out today and (hopefully) secured a spot.

Reactions: Toywolf and MMc

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Hey there!

I'm brand new to Overland Bound and would love to join the meet-up on the 19th. Are there any specifics about what to bring/ be prepared for? Just looking to meet some OV people in my area :)
Welcome! I'm actually in your area quite often I wouldn't be surprised if I've seen your rig around.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
I decided to attend the TDS event this weekend (sort of) in Ocotillo Wells. I haven't been to it in over 25 years and will just be camping with a few people. My itinerary is pretty much, show up Friday evening, go explore Saturday some then go home Saturday evening or Sunday morning. If anyone wants to pop by and hang out or actually attend the event, let me know and I'll PM you my number. Camping will be dry and someone went out today and (hopefully) secured a spot.
That's so funny. I was literally about to post to invite everyone out as well haha. I'm planning on going to BLM in Joshua tree for tonight and possibly tomorrow night as well before venturing out to Johnson Valley OHV. Perhaps I can begin my trip in SD :frowning:

Reactions: smritte

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRJK336
Have fun, guys. Thanks for extending the invite, but I can’t make it. Last weekend of soccer for my kids.

Anyone else signed up for the Rigged for Dirt campout in March?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Anyone else signed up for the Rigged for Dirt campout in March?
Googled that. Didn't know of it. On the home page is a guy name frank. Heh..I know him. Nice guy. I never knew he started RFD. I will be elsewhere on that weekend.

Reactions: Big Blue

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Great to meet everyone in Glendora a few weeks ago. I've been trying to get in touch with a moderator here about this event since I know MMc wasn't going to be able to host next month (he's going to be in Venice next month with his dad, surely he'll miss us!). Although, I believe this is a recurring event so whether or not there's an official host, it'll still happen.

@Big Blue / @The Trail Medic, enjoy Rigged for Dirt. I've been going through their podcast – PODCAST | Rigged for Dirt - thanks for the tip, @Big Blue.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Ocotillo Wells was beautiful. Got windy Saturday night, glad I didn't bring my trailer with RTT. Daytime weather was in low 80's. We had about 10 rigs in the group.
I didn't take a bunch of pictures but here is something I make while i'm there.

cobbler.jpg
MMM Dutch oven, cherry cobbler (dump cake for you purests).
We REALLY needed french vanilla ice cream to go with it.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Well CRAP! I am not going to Italy. The Corona Virus and my father's cancer is stopping us from going. I will be attending this month meeting. I may run the Mojave trail in the meanwhile. I will be at the Fred Hall fishing show working the Lytle Creek firing line booth stop by if you go.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
I also just got back myself. Went to Vegas briefly then stopped at Mojave Road for the night then continued to Johnson Valley the following morning. 749319A3-ADD2-4F92-940F-76C4F05F0668.jpeg

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Notes:

Four Wheel Expo is this weekend in Costa Mesa: Four Wheeler Adventure Expo 2020 – I'll be there Saturday.

If you buy something here over $30, you get a free tent: Premier outdoor, camping and hiking equipment - Zero Mile Mark – I've picked up two tents, the solar powered light (which is currently out of stock) and a bag. The tents seem to be of decent quality. Not affiliated with the company.
Thanks for the heads up! Any idea what size the tent is?

UPDATE

Just purchased a couple things, first purchase is advertised price, upon checking out, they offer a 40% discount on secondary purchase (premade list of items). They did also add the tent into the order with no additional charge which to answer my previous question is a dome style 2-person tent.

Last edited:

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Nice @Toywolf . I use this to weather proof too - - will be doing that with my tent. One can is plenty for the small tent.

My top 3 learnings from Four Wheeler Adventure Expo:

1. Use a blinking light under car to scare off packrats from chewing cables. A red blinking bike light is fine. ( @Big Blue also shared with me to pop hood and let engine cool off on arrival to camp site, rats are attracted to heat)
2. In one of the classes, someone asked about what to do for bears if leaving there car for several days (for backpacking). Answer: electric bear fence.
3. Someone asked about safety from theft/etc (safety from people) to a panel - answer: nearly everyone, who had been overlanding for many years, some full time - had rarely or never experienced any theft or felt danger (across many countries) of overlanding. The other consensus was simply to "be smart, be aware of surroundings." Self-defense classes were recommended (from a jiu-jitsu instructor who was also on the panel).

Intangible benefit of going: inspiration and future planning.

Great to see @The Trail Medic at the Four Wheeler Adventure Expo, too. I hear she (Nicole) will be doing some medic classes in Glendora too for any interested.

Reactions: Big Blue

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

I have called Corner Bakery in Glendora. Their dining hall where we meet is closed. I’m not sure we’ll be able to find a suitable alternative or if it would make sense, given COVID-19, unfortunately.

Enthusiast I

California, USA
First Name
Nicole
Last Name
Emm
Member #

I have called Corner Bakery in Glendora. Their dining hall where we meet is closed. I’m not sure we’ll be able to find a suitable alternative or if it would make sense, given COVID-19, unfortunately.
Social distancing is a good thing right now. If not to protect ourselves, definitely to protect others. I see the gathering being feasible if the weather is good for grabbing a meal and making it a parking lot meetup. Socializing is encouraged with plenty of space of course. We can play ‘the ground is lava’ and stay at our trucks lol.
*My attendance is still pending. Work is crazy rn.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

There is a couple of fastfood places behind Chilies we could gather at. Between Staples and behind chilies . Say 630?