Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I want to as well, but the wifey is still not "ready" to get out and travel, but she is getting there.
You can start out by bringing her to a monthly meeting just to introduce yourselves to others with similar interests. No traveling, camping, pressure. Just nice people chatting.

Blindhands

Rank III

Contributor III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Lane
Member #

Are there any retail brick and mortar overland gear shops in town? I went to 4 Wheel Parts - Off
Road Truck & Jeep 4x4 Parts off Broadway and they have a very limited inventory. I want to look at awnings,
Fridges, storage etc. in person.
Haven’t seen anything really catering to overlanding here in SA it seems to be more focused on 4x4 wheeling

Reactions: WalkingBear

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Are there any retail brick and mortar overland gear shops in town? I went to 4 Wheel Parts - Off
Road Truck & Jeep 4x4 Parts off Broadway and they have a very limited inventory. I want to look at awnings,
Haven’t seen anything really catering to overlanding here in SA it seems to be more focused on 4x4 wheeling
Yea, I haven't seen anything local either. Pretty much get most everything online.

Reactions: Blindhands

WalkingBear

Rank V

Pathfinder II

San Antonio, TX
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Landeros
Member #

The closest thing you're going to find is going to be in Dallas

Reactions: Blindhands

WalkingBear

Rank V

Pathfinder II

San Antonio, TX
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Landeros
Member #

Attachments

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi all. I'm Aaron. Long time lurker and just go a new rig. Stationed here in SA and looks to break in my new to me 2018 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X.

View attachment 198365
Welcome from up north of you in Georgetown. If you are ever in the area, we'd enjoy seeing you at one of our monthly meets.

Reactions: Care_Under_Fire

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

We'd love to take that trip too since Fred isn't far from us.
We just camped near Harper and did the Hill Country Trail last weekend. The weather was great and it was a really nice drive. We found a place on hipcamp that was a good distance from Fred, Mason and Kerrville. I'll see if I can share the link to the place:

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

I pretty much shop 4WP online and pick up in store. I know it's tough since you can't put eyes on stuff, so I try to research online and see if 4WP can get it. As far as awnings, I have the Smittybilt and really like it. I also have their Gen 2 XL tent, while it can be a pain to set up and break down, it's a great tent for the money. Let me know if you want to see them in person sometime and maybe we can meet up. Camping World has some Dometic fridges in stock.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I am currently stuck in NJ, but I miss SATX. I’ve been wondering how far would I have to drive North of Bullis to get off pavement or for some dispersed camping... in case I can ever get back.

Why does it seem like most people go to Padre? If I remember correctly it was pretty hilly and scenic heading up North

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I am currently stuck in NJ, but I miss SATX. I’ve been wondering how far would I have to drive North of Bullis to get off pavement or for some dispersed camping... in case I can ever get back.

Why does it seem like most people go to Padre? If I remember correctly it was pretty hilly and scenic heading up North
There's not much available in Central Texas, so the beach is pretty much the closest place around. PINS is 60 miles of beach driving and you can camp anywhere you want along the way. Once you get past the first five miles or so, it turns to deep sand that requires a 4x4, or at least AWD. This eliminates 99% of the noisy crowds and you can easily find a spot to camp with nobody else in sight.

"Hilly" in Texas is subjective. :laughing: Heading north, the Piney Woods area is nice and there are some places that are good to go to. However, having pretty much no public land, Texas is hard pressed to provide many locations to just get away from it all.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

There's not much available in Central Texas, so the beach is pretty much the closest place around. PINS is 60 miles of beach driving and you can camp anywhere you want along the way. Once you get past the first five miles or so, it turns to deep sand that requires a 4x4, or at least AWD. This eliminates 99% of the noisy crowds and you can easily find a spot to camp with nobody else in sight.

"Hilly" in Texas is subjective. :laughing: Heading north, the Piney Woods area is nice and there are some places that are good to go to. However, having pretty much no public land, Texas is hard pressed to provide many locations to just get away from it all.
I’m kinda surprised by the lack of public land, but it makes sense. Thank you!!

Reactions: Rick-O and roots66

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

Not sure I've checked in formally....we are a family of 6 with a 200 series and patriot in tow. Finally back in SATX - not moving again. We just linked up with some fellow toyota folks via alamo city LCs at Hidden Falls. Would be interested in the next rally point.

Chris