Rank IV

Steward I

Lafayette, Colorado, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

Well life got in the way of my updates, but I have made some progress over the past month. I added another Gamiviti ladder to the drivers side as the awning was usually in the way of the right one.
IMG_9020.JPG

I also ditched the rear 4x4 labs ladder in favor of the triple can holder.
IMG_9021.JPG

And I made the jump to a roof mounted tent.
IMG_9128.JPG

I also decided I was tired of the stock seats so I replaced them with a set of Procar Elites and Planted brackets.
IMG_9247.JPG

I’m currently working on the electrical system and dual battery setup. I cleaned up the previous owners sketchy wiring job and replaced the hacked up fusible links. I now have both batteries wired in with aux fuse boxes in the engine bay, under the passenger seat, and in the cargo area. I 3D printed ABS brackets for everything. I also wired in a heated washer fluid system.
IMG_9174.JPG
IMG_9204.JPG
IMG_9237.JPG

Phew! Now I need to get out and use this thing!

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Well life got in the way of my updates, but I have made some progress over the past month. I added another Gamiviti ladder to the drivers side as the awning was usually in the way of the right one.
View attachment 131590

I also ditched the rear 4x4 labs ladder in favor of the triple can holder.
View attachment 131591

And I made the jump to a roof mounted tent.
View attachment 131592

I also decided I was tired of the stock seats so I replaced them with a set of Procar Elites and Planted brackets.
View attachment 131593

I’m currently working on the electrical system and dual battery setup. I cleaned up the previous owners sketchy wiring job and replaced the hacked up fusible links. I now have both batteries wired in with aux fuse boxes in the engine bay, under the passenger seat, and in the cargo area. I 3D printed ABS brackets for everything. I also wired in a heated washer fluid system.
View attachment 131594
View attachment 131595
View attachment 131596

Phew! Now I need to get out and use this thing!

What happened to the nice boxes that were on the roof, now that you have a RTT? Do you have enough storage space? Also, do you have shots of the interior of the back? What kind of setup do you have. I am always looking for inspiration. :)

Cheers

--o

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

What happened to the nice boxes that were on the roof, now that you have a RTT? Do you have enough storage space? Also, do you have shots of the interior of the back? What kind of setup do you have. I am always looking for inspiration. :)

Cheers

--o
I’m moving to a rear storage system with an aluminum frame that will fit 4x Frontrunner Wolfpacks. The height and width matches the ARB side panel kit pretty closely and I’m hoping to make the center section double as a camp table.
I’ll post pics as it progresses. Everything is on my work bench right now.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
What type of 3D printer do you use? What material?

We have the Raise3D and used it a bit at work with PLA (12" x 12" x 12"). I used it to build the perimeter of the box for the electrical system. Front panel is aluminum powder coated. Also the little case that holds the thermostat circuit for the hot water. I'm always concerned about the structural integrity of the part. We looked at 3D printers in metal, but they were $1M and operating cost was expensive.

IMG_9392.JPG

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

Looks great!
I’m using a Flashforge for smaller parts and a Tevo for large prints. I typically print in ABS, but I switch to carbon fiber for parts that need additional strength. No failures so far, but I usually print final brackets at 100% infill and do some post processing.

A metal printer would be amazing, but I think we’re a long way from any type of consumer devices. I do have a small CNC for aluminum parts though.

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

No trips planned over the winter, so it’s a great time to get all the little projects and maintenance done.

The previous owner installed OME suspension that, after 10 years, was showing its age. After a bunch of research I decided to replace them with Fox 2.0 shocks. The ride is now significantly better..I should have done this a while ago!

IMG_9456.jpg

I also switched direction on the rear storage system and decided to pursue a more traditional setup.

IMG_9443.jpg

I needed to correct the backspacing on the TRD pro wheels and went with Spidertrax spacers.

IMG_9529.jpg

And finally, I fixed my oil leaks. They turned out to be caused by the speedometer sensor o-ring on the t-case and distributor o-ring. Now to clean up the years of oil and grease buildup....

IMG_9520.jpg

(Pics coming soon)

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
No trips planned over the winter, so it’s a great time to get all the little projects and maintenance done.

The previous owner installed OME suspension that, after 10 years, was showing its age. After a bunch of research I decided to replace them with Fox 2.0 shocks. The ride is now significantly better..I should have done this a while ago!
View attachment 136089

I also switched direction on the rear storage system and decided to pursue a more traditional setup.
View attachment 136090

I needed to correct the backspacing on the TRD pro wheels and went with Spidertrax spacers.
View attachment 136092

And finally, I fixed my oil leaks. They turned out to be caused by the speedometer sensor o-ring on the t-case and distributor o-ring. Now to clean up the years of oil and grease buildup....
View attachment 136093

(Pics coming soon)
Cant open your attachments ???

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

This will be a drawn out project, but I’ve decided to tackle the wiring first. If anyone has an OZ spec electric wiring diagram for the 80 series it would be appreciated!
So far I have the overhead console installed and a harness created.

Attachments

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

Well Even though this option was never offered in North America, Mr. T still included the ECU harness! Yay! Time to trace and label everything...
Also note, the ECU mounting holes are present and there is a stamped area on the cargo floor where the aux tank fuel sender access plate would go.

Attachments

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
hood scoop!
While I’m waiting on parts for my other projects, I finally got the scoop installed. This is off a 2nd gen Isuzu Trooper from the UK.
Hopefully it will help with heat extraction. Plus i think it looks pretty good.
sure looks sharp. The whole rig!!!

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

I was able to track down the OZ electrical diagrams and finally built my harnesses using all OE Toyota connectors. The terminal crimping tool is super expensive, but totally worth it. I now have the overhead console, dash transfer switch, and diagnostic connectors all wired into the rear ECU. I also cleaned up the aux tank and coated it with Por15.

Attachments

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

Tightened up the rear suspension with a Delta vs Panhard riser. Now the truck has stock geometry and tracks much better.
BED2E689-5180-4DF1-A058-0A38E06713EB.jpeg
Also found a NOS part of the aux tank from UAE that I’ve been looking for (fuel transfer tube)
E8D54590-CD92-4D14-95D4-A81B33EFE5D3.jpeg

Reactions: k9sar and Ob1