Launch Member

Member II

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

I am new here but I was just wanting share some knowledge that I recently discovered about where our vehicles classified in the insurance world.

I am a licensed insurance agent in 48 states and have wonder since our vehicles are close an RV just on a smaller platform. I found out 3 things qualifies a vehicle as an RV

1. Long term food storage (AKA refrigerator)
2. Cooking system (Coleman grill even applies)
3. Fixed sleeping quarters (RTT)

I confirmed this with a progressive RV expert that if you have these 3 that makes whatever vehicle you own a “Truck Camper” at that point.

Why does this even matter?

RV insurance is considerably less expensive than auto and offers a lot of things auto doesn’t. Like if you break down 3 states away from home, camping equipment in the vehicle, And coverage of all your added accessories if you chose as well as a list of others.

Mine for the basic (which is what I have now with auto) would be $600 less a year

For the same price I pay for my basic auto, I could get every option with RV insurance.

I’m not trying to sell anything it’s my day off haha

Just wanted to share some info from the insurance world I live in M-F and give people another avenue.

Hope you found this helpful happy Overlanding!!!
IMG_0125.JPG

RIBahler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Kenai, AK
Member #

Hmm, I’ll be confirming this with my insurance company, change the policy, and buy our refrigerator for the family adventure rig. Thanks for the info!

Lucky2Balive

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

No problem I’ve got the fridge already and in a year it could probably pay off a tent.

It’s important to tell them you have a rooftop tent attached, a refrigerator, and and cooking. They will list as a truck camper. It’s essentially the same thing if you were to have a camper in an F350 bed.

And I have confirmed with Progressive they will write it as a truck camper. Also I have physically used there system to do it and been approved. You would just have to prove you have those 3 things

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

That is great information. I have another question for you. I'm building a overland teardrop camper. Any tips on getting insurance for a home built camper? I know I want to declare a low build cost for getting license plates. If I say under $1000 it is a very easy process. But if someone rear ends me and totals the camper I would like it insured for replacement value. That is where I hear the problem comes in, they will value the camper on materials you have in it, not labor or added value by say a custom paint job.

Got any tips? I'll be looking to get my inspection in a few weeks and will need insurance shortly after.

Todd

Lucky2Balive

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

When you get inspection you will probably be given a VIN from the state. You would use that and it would be labeled as “other” make sure you get an “agreed value” not actual cash value. They will come out an inspect the RV and you will agree on the value of the camper.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Could this also affect vehicle registration? Would it be a good idea to check state rules and fees for the possible need to also register said vehicle as such? it would be a shame to change your insurance to save a few bucks, but then open yourself up to higher registration fees or inspections.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I built my adventure trailer ground up. One concern was insuring it even though it is in insured while in tow. Theft's of adventure trailers are up & I keep on hearing about these on line.
I kept a build log sheet on every item I used in the build & gear purchased (camping) that's in the trailer. I went to the local revenue office (DMV) with all the information they need & I was issued a vin number & plate along with title. We submitted registration, photo's of the trailer & copy of the build log sheet total cost to build & outfit it. Cut a check to my insurance company & the trailer is insured. This is how easy Arkansas is with DIY trailers. NO state inspection, just follow the instruction by the state revenue office. I insured mine for $10,000.00 & the cost is $260.00 annually.
45767214_1924210364294495_1882812537561415680_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lucky2Balive

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Correct you pick an amount a take pictures to verify it’s not to bad comprehensive coverage would cover if anything was stolen including the whole trailer. When it’s being towed and connected it falls under your vehicles insurance because it’s attached

Lucky2Balive

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Could this also affect vehicle registration? Would it be a good idea to check state rules and fees for the possible need to also register said vehicle as such? it would be a shame to change your insurance to save a few bucks, but then open yourself up to higher registration fees or inspections.
That’s a good question, I’m not sure. That’s more of a state thing for instance TN we have no inspection so it would be good to check your state laws. I just know the insurance side is ok with it, and technically you just need to have appropriate insurance for your vehicle. So if it classifys as an RV with them that should cover it. I am just unsure what inspection requirements would be in different states

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

That’s a good question, I’m not sure. That’s more of a state thing for instance TN we have no inspection so it would be good to check your state laws. I just know the insurance side is ok with it, and technically you just need to have appropriate insurance for your vehicle. So if it classifys as an RV with them that should cover it. I am just unsure what inspection requirements would be in different states
That's why I mentioned it. I know here in MN, I've seen a few VW Westaflia vans and a few conversion vans with RV plates, so, not sure all what it means.