Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Thanks @armyRN for not enabling bad behavior! Huge pet peeve of mine when meeting organizer waits for everyone to join. Way to punish people who follow directions!

I volunteer to be the tailgunner. I have lots of experience riding in convoys and a 50 watt HAM radio (I am a licensed HAM) so won't have trouble reaching you up front. Sometimes the convoy can get 1/2 mile to 3/4 miles long.

I have a Garmin InReach that I can make available to anyone who needs to text in or out when we are out of LTE range.

For some reason I am not being notified of posts in this thread...
Looks like we've got us a tailgunner!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I can click on mine and I get a column that shows up on the left hand side with all the info about the waypoint. I was just wondering if all the waypoints could have a tag already on them saying what they were on the map. So I wouldn't have to click on each waypoint to see what they were. Would be nice while driving and looking for the next upcoming campground to not have to click on each waypoint.

I'm still learning the finer points of this GAIA format.
Lurking through your posts. Did you ever get your answer to this? Under the map layers button at the top is Map Overlay. In that section you can turn waypoint labels on and off. Once on you should see them regardless of zoom level. You can also edit waypoints to choose different icons. While the icon library isn't the best you can at least mark a camping area with a tent, for example. <-- all iOS examples. Android I would have to look.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Lurking through your posts. Did you ever get your answer to this? Under the map layers button at the top is Map Overlay. In that section you can turn waypoint labels on and off. Once on you should see them regardless of zoom level. You can also edit waypoints to choose different icons. While the icon library isn't the best you can at least mark a camping area with a tent, for example. <-- all iOS examples. Android I would have to look.
Not yet; I've been working like crazy lately.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
We're about two months out from our departure date. Who's finishing up last-minute projects?

One project I just finished was a shelf in my trailer for my chainsaw. Last time I took the chainsaw I had it laying on top of stuff. Now it has its own dedicated place.
Chainsaw shelf.1.jpg

Chainsaw shelf.2.jpg

Chainsaw shelf.3.jpg

Chainsaw shelf.5.jpg

Chainsaw shelf.6.jpg

Last edited:

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
We have been busy getting some trail time under our belt. After taking our class we headed to southern WV to do a trail ride with Off-Road Consultants out of PA. It was a 3 day weekend at Burning Rock off road park. What an awesome experience; scary, steep, slippery, narrow you name it. The funny part was, we were the only “not a Jeep” in the group the first day (a Tacoma showed up for the second day). We learned a lot about true 4 wheeling and our Lexus. The cool part was I think we have some Jeep guys having new found respect for the GX470. At the start of the weekend they thought we were crazy driving a Lexus off-road. This was our first group trail ride experience so what we did not know, we did not know. I thought we had landed in the ”land of the giants”. They all had either 33s, 35s, and even 37s, to our seemingly small 32s. But our Kanati AT did great. And so did we, great time in southern WV. And kudos to us we ran the weekend trails carrying our rooftop tent and full gear since we camped at Twin Falls State Park too.

14EC9401-5E5B-4848-94C3-BA5BA983DE34.jpeg9EC17FED-4F97-4EF3-95DC-589877D7E365.jpeg718D8590-A173-499F-B622-9761BD404A47.jpeg5C285773-8DB9-49C7-A751-B9215AD34320.jpegCCF48E09-2112-42FD-B029-9F8571192EDA.jpeg83E299B3-F170-4E71-AA9F-5B1BDA269C1F.jpeg

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
We have been busy getting some trail time under our belt. After taking our class we headed to southern WV to do a trail ride with Off-Road Consultants out of PA. It was a 3 day weekend at Burning Rock off road park. What an awesome experience; scary, steep, slippery, narrow you name it. The funny part was, we were the only “not a Jeep” in the group the first day (a Tacoma showed up for the second day). We learned a lot about true 4 wheeling and our Lexus. The cool part was I think we have some Jeep guys having new found respect for the GX470. At the start of the weekend they thought we were crazy driving a Lexus off-road. This was our first group trail ride experience so what we did not know, we did not know. I thought we had landed in the ”land of the giants”. They all had either 33s, 35s, and even 37s, to our seemingly small 32s. But our Kanati AT did great. And so did we, great time in southern WV. And kudos to us we ran the weekend trails carrying our rooftop tent and full gear since we camped at Twin Falls State Park too.

View attachment 194249View attachment 194250View attachment 194251View attachment 194252View attachment 194253
Awesome! Looks like fun. Excellent job of running with the big boys.

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I was just about to proclaim my truck projects complete and my truck ready to tackle the TAT until I saw a small box laying on the floor next to my tool box. Upon inspection, I realized I failed to complete one small task of running a wire from my secondary fuse panel to the rear of my truck for a 12v socket I am installing next to the 110/120v plug mounted in my Tacoma truck bed. So, tomorrow I will complete the task and hopefully won’t find anything else I “forgot to do”

A41BAE10-ECD5-46F2-90D3-49E8E6500BF5.jpeg

N8FLY

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Fredericksburg, VA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
M
Member #

Hello all! It may be wishful thinking, but I just RSVP'd today. I'm not sure if I will be able to get ready in time, but I am going to try. I am in the midst of retiring from the Army...my last day is 25 May. I have a 2016 Jeep JKU Rubicon and have been making gradual upgrades to it in the hopes of making a trip like this after I retire. I am completely new to Overlanding and have done only easy off-roading with my Jeep, so feel free to tell me if I'm crazy for even trying a trip of this magnitude...I have thick skin! I thought I would be doing an adventure like this solo, but then I logged into the Overland Bound website (hadn't been on the site in a long time) and found this event. This is exactly what I've wanted to do! It would be so much better to do it with a great group like all of you. I have read through the entire thread and understand the requirements/rules.

The status of my Jeep is: only 30k miles, so it's in good shape. So far, I've done the following:

JKS 2.5" lift kit
35" Falken Wildpeak ATs (and a spare)
Poison Spyder Bruiser front bumper
Warn Winch
GMRS radio (MXT275) (FCC License)
Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform
Vector Bar with phone holder and Garmin inReach mount
ARB tire repair kit
Fire Extinguisher
Baofeng BF-F8HP handheld HAM (not licensed yet, so I can only listen)

I just ordered an LOD Destroyer Series rear bumper with tire carrier.

Things I still need:

Rooftop tent
Fridge
the recovery gear/straps listed at the beginning of this thread
handheld GMRS radio
iPad Mount for Vector bar
extra fuel storage
Power system (Jackery?) for fridge and misc charging of stuff
Air Compressor & air up/down accessories
TAT maps for Gaia

I have the Gaia GPS app on my iPhone and iPad. I've used it a little so I'm familiar with overlays and creating a route, but I still have a lot I need to learn.

So I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I'll give it a shot.

:)

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
We did it with way less than that list of things. I don’t even remember having to air down anywhere. We had no off roading experience and made it just fine. You will have a great time! We have the same year Rubicon as you.

Triple B

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL
First Name
Ann
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

We did it with way less than that list of things. I don’t even remember having to air down anywhere. We had no off roading experience and made it just fine. You will have a great time! We have the same year Rubicon as you.
I know your reply was not to me, but I thank you for the warm fuzzy of encouragement. I too am taking just the basics and have no fancy stuff. Minimal skill in comparison. Sometimes it feels a bit intimidating when your the only one with a different approach and vehicle!

Triple B

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL
First Name
Ann
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Hello all! It may be wishful thinking, but I just RSVP'd today. I'm not sure if I will be able to get ready in time, but I am going to try. I am in the midst of retiring from the Army...my last day is 25 May. I have a 2016 Jeep JKU Rubicon and have been making gradual upgrades to it in the hopes of making a trip like this after I retire. I am completely new to Overlanding and have done only easy off-roading with my Jeep, so feel free to tell me if I'm crazy for even trying a trip of this magnitude...I have thick skin! I thought I would be doing an adventure like this solo, but then I logged into the Overland Bound website (hadn't been on the site in a long time) and found this event. This is exactly what I've wanted to do! It would be so much better to do it with a great group like all of you. I have read through the entire thread and understand the requirements/rules.

The status of my Jeep is: only 30k miles, so it's in good shape. So far, I've done the following:

JKS 2.5" lift kit
Warn Winch
ARB tire repair kit
Fire Extinguisher

Things I still need:

Rooftop tent
Fridge
handheld GMRS radio
extra fuel storage
TAT maps for Gaia

I have the Gaia GPS app on my iPhone and iPad. I've used it a little so I'm familiar with overlays and creating a route, but I still have a lot I need to learn.

N8FLy, come on out. Welcome aboard. We can be the group nubs!

N8FLY

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Fredericksburg, VA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
M
Member #

JKS 2.5" lift kit
Warn Winch
ARB tire repair kit
Fire Extinguisher

Things I still need:

Rooftop tent
Fridge
handheld GMRS radio
extra fuel storage
TAT maps for Gaia

N8FLy, come on out. Welcome aboard. We can be the group nubs!
Sounds good! It does seem rather intimidating to be going with so many experienced folks. I’m looking forward to learning from all of you. I know how to be on time and on target, so that’s a plus!

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Looks like the TAT will have to wait a bit longer for us. A new contract landed (good for us) that will prevent the required time away. I'm going to watch you guys and live vicariously through you all!

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Looks like the TAT will have to wait a bit longer for us. A new contract landed (good for us) that will prevent the required time away. I'm going to watch you guys and live vicariously through you all!
Sad to hear, but the trail will be there waiting for you when the stars line up again.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
I know your reply was not to me, but I thank you for the warm fuzzy of encouragement. I too am taking just the basics and have no fancy stuff. Minimal skill in comparison. Sometimes it feels a bit intimidating when your the only one with a different approach and vehicle!
While we didn’t camp along the way, we did carry basic camping gear just in case. Never used but it was reassuring to know that if we couldn’t make it to town and needed to camp could have. We carried enough basic food to make it through the night.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
You will be gaining years of experience on this trip. While I have never met any of the people going in this trip, I feel that you will be in good company. Eyes and ears open and don’t be bashful about asking questions. The only dumb question is the one that wasn’t asked!

Enjoy your trip, it will be something that will stay with you for a long time.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP

JKS 2.5" lift kit
Warn Winch
ARB tire repair kit
Fire Extinguisher

Things I still need:

Rooftop tent
Fridge
handheld GMRS radio
extra fuel storage
TAT maps for Gaia

Welcome aboard!

You'll be fine. Your Jeep sounds more than adequate. Your BaoFeng radio will pick up the GMRS frequencies, so no need to buy a separate handheld GMRS radio. I'll be using a BaoFeng UV-5R as my handheld, and a BaoFeng BF-F8HP handheld mounted to my dash as my fixed radio (with an external antenna).