Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I've wondered if rising fuel costs might cause a few to drop out.

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

I am extremely disappointed to write this, but I am withdrawing my RSVP. I am about three months behind on my rig mod/R&R project, with Spring bringing additional time commitments. So, I have doubts I'll make the departure date. I'll still follow the thread, so, if things change, I can track where the group is, or going, and maybe I'll be able to link up. My apologies. But, as they say, "Life happens."
Bummer! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can link-up with us somewhere along the way. Thank-you for letting us know.

I have elderly parents (in their early 90's), and one of my fears is something will happen to one of them right before or during our trip causing me to have to pull-out.

Whenever I plan a big trip like this, there are always folks who "Life happens" to, and they have to pull-out. That's one reason I put the limit at 20 - usually by the time we get to the departure date we're down to less than half. When we get to May I'll be contacting those who are signed-up to start giving out final instructions and such. If your name is still on the RSPV list, you might start receiving these messages.
Thanks.

Yeah, I didn't know how to actually remove the RSVP. But, I don't mind getting the info. Better to be prepared just in case I make up some ground.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
You will be paying more than the average as you will be buying more fuel more often with less choices. We were floored when we got to Boise City, OK and paid way more than we had been paying along the way. We had to have it though, the next fuel stop is Trinidad, Co.

Triple B

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL
First Name
Ann
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

You will be paying more than the average as you will be buying more fuel more often with less choices. We were floored when we got to Boise City, OK and paid way more than we had been paying along the way. We had to have it though, the next fuel stop is Trinidad, Co.
I think we got comfortable with the $1.+ per gallon and forgot that was not the norm and add on that folks weren't driving around as usual for the last year; supply and demand drove the prices down. Fast forward to current and it's a different story. Pipeline shutdown, things opening up, people on the go, severe wintertime storms, summertime approaching, etc. things driving the price up to perhaps what use to be normal. $2.50+ a gallon. I have gathered some of the price off gallon cards. Every .02-.05 per gallon helps. The caveat being most of our fuel will probably come from a mom/pop kinda place, so the cards won't help much. I also gathered some of those cards if used at the pump give you a percentage back. May not sound like much, but those nickel and dimes can start to add up. Not sure how the pumps prices will run on this trip, but another cost savings is paying with cash. In my area that can be anywhere from .05-.10 difference per gallon.

rizner45505

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fort Myers FL
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Risner
Hey folks!

I RSVP'd the other day,

Wanted your guys thoughts on if my jeep could make it or maybe i should wait... Running with a stock Sahara with 33's my main concern though is stock front/rear bumpers. I really wanted to have an ARB front/back bumper with winch set up in time but i don't think that is possible now, do you think I'd be okay without?

I have all the recovery gear including receiver etc.

Let me know your thoughts!

Jeremy

Triple B

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL
First Name
Ann
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Bummer! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can link-up with us somewhere along the way. Thank-you for letting us know.

I have elderly parents (in their early 90's), and one of my fears is something will happen to one of them right before or during our trip causing me to have to pull-out.

Whenever I plan a big trip like this, there are always folks who "Life happens" to, and they have to pull-out. That's one reason I put the limit at 20 - usually by the time we get to the departure date we're down to less than half. When we get to May I'll be contacting those who are signed-up to start giving out final instructions and such. If your name is still on the RSPV list, you might start receiving these messages.

armyRN--what happens to the group if you get a "life happens"?

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
If life happens... I will ask if anyone has experience leading a group on a trip like this, and we will talk. The show will go on. I've laid out the plan and put out guidelines, so someone would just have to take it and run with it.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Ok... June is rapidly approaching. Time to put out some information. Note... if I sound like I'm ranting a little bit, or am being a little snide or snarky... good catch!

Per my usual, I'm wanting to put as much information out up front so there are no surprises on day one, and to cut down on how much time we spend on the morning of 12 June before we hit the TAT!

I'm not trying to be mean or hurt anybody's feelings here (I'm just laying out expectations)... so let me set the stage first:

Suppose you wanted to go see a movie that started at 0900. Knowing the movie starts at 0900, you make sure well before 0900 you've arrived at the theater, parked your car, went in and bought your tickets, got popcorn, made one last bathroom stop, found your seat, and got settled in BEFORE the lights went down and the movie started.

Now what if an announcement came on in the theater that said "We know we said the movie would start at 0900, but we're going to wait till everyone gets here and is seated before we start the movie". How would you feel? I'd be pissed. What time do you think the movie would actually start now? How long would you feel comfortable waiting before you got frustrated? You'd be waiting for the weakest link; the Lowest Common Denominator (LCD), etc. in order for the movie to finally start.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

We're not doing that "When everyone finally shows up we'll start" thing on Saturday, 12 June (or any other day). The driver's meeting starts at 0900, and we're rolling out right after that. So PLEASE PLEASE plan on being at the rally point BEFORE 0900. That means before 0900 (I'm thinking 0845 at the latest) you've already arrived and parked your vehicle in-line and have joined the group, your vehicle's gas tank is already full (we're not stopping on the way out of town for anything), there's ice in your cooler, everyone in your group's tummy's full, bladder's are empty, and you're fully ready to roll. Please plan your morning accordingly.

Please... I don't want to be getting frantic messages over the radio right before 0900 or after telling me (this is the snarky part):

"I'm still at the gas station trying to get gas" (Me - You should have got gas the night before.)

"They're late checking me out of the motel" (Me - No there're not; you either slept in, poor planning on your part, or you spent too long at the free breakfast buffet.)

"There's a long line at the drive-through at Burger King" (Me - Sorry - poor planning on your part - no sympathy - somehow everyone else here managed to get breakfast and arrive in plenty of time.)

"The service is slow here at the diner - we're still waiting for our food" (Me - Really??? You thought in a small town on a Saturday morning you could get in-and-out of a small dinner quickly? Again; poor planning on your part.)

Or my very least favorite excuse for not showing up on time: "I know you said you were meeting at 0900, but I knew you wouldn't be leaving till after 0900, so I figured I could show up late and it would be ok" (Me - So what does that mean in your mind.. "it would be ok"? You're somehow special; your time is more valuable than everyone else's; you already know everything that's going to be put out at 0900 so you don't need to be there, you want to make a grand entrance when we're getting ready to roll? Do you really think I should have to repeat everything that's been said because you decided to show up late because you though "it would be ok"? It is not "ok". Seriously - if that's your attitude, please don't even bother showing up. You'll just be a liability during the trip).

And please don't pull up all frantic at 0910 and ask the (stupid) question "Am I late?" You know you're late. I will tell you you're late.. possibly in front of everyone that somehow managed to get there on time.

Come-on man...If you can show up to work on time... if you can get to a movie before it starts... if you can show up for a dinner reservation on time... then you can show up on 12 June on time. Please. I've been looking forward to this trip for months, as I'm guessing everyone else has been too. Many of us have been purchasing items for this trip, prepping vehicles, planning stuff, thinking about this trip, etc. Please please please don't show up late on the first day.

I strongly encourage everyone in the group to have a wristwatch and to wear it (yes, I know cell phones have a clock on them). Watches are cheap. Being late and slowing down the group while we're trying to track you down, and you trying to tell us "I didn't know what time it was" really won't go over well.

With a large group like I'm expecting ours to be (the more the merrier!), time management and punctuality play a huge part in keeping the group moving forward. I will be doing my best to keep us moving forward in a timely manner. But I need you guys to do your part to not be the weakest link or the LCD. And not for just the first day, but for every day we're doing the TAT.

Thank-you for your patience in letting me rant for a bit. Rant off.

Of course, unexpected things happen while overlanding; vehicles may break down or not start, weather may impact, etc. That's a given. On a long trip like we're getting ready to take with multiple vehicles, I'm expecting the unexpected to happen to someone somewhere along the way more than once. "It" happens to everyone at least once if you do this sort of thing long enough. I was one of two vehicles with a flat tire on my last group run. On the same trip my trailer busted a leaf spring so we were on the side of the trail while I made a trail repair (pictured below). Some things you can try and anticipate (I had a full-sized spare so we just swapped it out), but I don't carry a spare leaf-spring pack for my trailer (totally wasn't expecting that one).

Trailer spring broke.3.jpg

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Convoy operations....

At the rally point we will start lining up vehicles behind mine. Since I know everyone will be getting there before 0900, by 0900 everyone's vehicle should be in line.

You will be assigned a position number. I'll be #1 to start, the vehicle behind me will be #2, etc. I will have a small sticky-notepad to write your number down so you can put it on your dash for the first day (if you want) so you can remember it.

I will need a volunteer to be the tailgunner (the last person in line) - who will be chosen on Saturday, 12 June. I'll be getting to the rally point ridiculously early on 12 June. First one there that tells me they want to be the tailgunner and knows what they're doing will get it (tailgunner is a popular position for some folks).

Position numbers are not set in stone. I'd like to keep them fixed the first couple days though till folks get the hang of this thing (feel free to swap numbers before we head out on the TAT on 12 June). By the time we get to the OR coast, very few of us will have the same number we started out with. Don't get to fixated on your number or position in line on day one.

Here's how it works (for demonstration purposes, let's say there's just five vehicles):

When we get ready to roll, first we'll do a radio check to make sure everyone is present and connected. You can get a little creative on the radio, but say your number and keep it short. I'll start by saying something like "Number one radio check ready to roll". Number two might say "Anna in number two ready to roll". Number three might say "Number three in the blue Yota ready to roll". Number four might say "Number four go Razorbacks ready to roll". Number five will say "Number five tailgunner ready to roll".

If we're missing someone (like we don't hear from number four) number three or five go check on the vehicle and make sure they have their radio on (it will probably happen to all of us at one time or another). Hopefully the driver's not missing.

Once we start rolling, number one will say something along the lines of "Number one - moving out". And then we start moving out as a group. Once the last vehicle starts moving (the tailgunner), the tailgunner will let me/us know by saying something to the effect of "Last vehicle is moving".

The last thing we want to happen is someone get separated from the group and get lost. It is extremely important we all stay together. In one of the earlier posts (post #9) we talk about convoy rules - please go back and review them.

While traveling... say if we come to a fork in the road (and we're taking the left fork), I'll say "At the fork, take the left". So number two (when they get to the fork) will say "Number two taking the fork to the left"; number three when they get to the fork will say "Number three going left at the fork" etc. till the last person (tailgunner) will say "Tailgunner taking the left at the fork - everyone has taken the left at the fork". I will slow down at the fork till everyone is through, then will go back to our usual pace once I get the word from the tailgunner that everyone is through.

If we're traveling down a trail and you need to use the bathroom, get on the radio and let me know us need to pull over for a pee-break. I'll look for a good place for us to pull over so you/we can use the bathroom. So this is a good time for everyone to get out of their vehicle, stretch their legs, and if you think you might need to pee too, now's the time. Men go off to the left, women to the right (because ladies are always right). Pee breaks on the trail are not lunch breaks. Grab something from the cooler if you're hungry, but don't start preparing a meal or getting too settled in. This won't be a long stop.

If someone in the group pulls over without saying anything on the radio (an emergency? vehicle's dash started lighting up? engine shut down? blown tire?) the vehicles behind them need to get on the radio (especially the Tailgunner) saying essentially "first vehicle pull over - someone pulled over" so we don't get too separated. Then we'll figure out why that initial vehicle pulled over suddenly.

After the first few days we should be a well-oiled machine, and these convoy things should be second nature. We should have our routine down by then, and folks should know what's expected of them, and how this thing works. It really does work well once you get the hang of it.

So after the first few days, if someone wants to be the trail leader for the day, talk to me. If I think you know what you're doing, I'll give you a shot at it starting with the driver's meeting the next morning before wheels rolling (and we'll swap position numbers for the day). This would be especially good if you're thinking you might want to organize and lead a run in the future. We'll talk.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Gas stops.

We're running the TAT; not hanging out at gas stations. Sometimes we just want to get gas and keep going; other times we might be getting gas and then hanging around town for a little bit (Time for a lunch break? Is this a cool looking small-town with a down-town area we want to check out for a little bit? Is that a military surplus store over there?).

Either way, here's how we get gas so we can get back on our adventure in a timely manner.

If you can pay at the pump with a card, PAY AT THE PUMP WITH A CARD! Get your gas, and then please move your vehicle so someone else can get gas.

If you're also wanting to make a purchase inside the building (munchies, soda, ice, etc.) You still PAY AT THE PUMP WITH A CARD FIRST! Get your gas, and then please move your vehicle so someone else can get gas. And then go inside and make your purchase (yes - you will be making two separate purchases here - one for gas, and one for everything else).

If we're doing a gas-and-go, start lining up your vehicles after getting gas, and please don't disappear. Stay within sight of the gas station. Figure roughly 10 minutes or so after the tailgunner finishes getting gas (tailgunner - get on the radio after you start pumping gas to let us know everyone else is gassed-up), we're leaving - radio check and then wheels rolling.

This is where having a portable hand-held radio comes in handy - so when you're away from your vehicle (and your fixed radio) you can still keep in touch. Not only for gas stops, but lunch stops along the trail, or if we're bogged down somewhere on the trail and we're trying to get each vehicle through a spot, etc. And you will look super cool just wearing one - look what it does for me!

BaoFeng.2.jpg

If we're doing a gas-and-lunch (or spending a little time exploring for a bit) make sure you know what time we're leaving as a group BEFORE you leave the gas station, and where we are rallying before leaving as a group. I will probably put the time out as we're pulling up to the gas station.

And please, don't decide 30 minutes before wheel's rolling that you want to go to a little sit-down diner and order a meal. I had it happen once with a group I was with, and we had to track them down (fortunately, their big lifted yellow Jeep was easy to find). I'll never forget the look they gave me when I told them we were leaving and they looked at me and said "But we just ordered our food". They were a really nice couple, but they had time management issues. They had to cancel their food order. Please don't be our weakest link. Don't be our LCD.

If the gas stop is a one-pump station that only accepts cash, we need everyone to do their part to get gas, pay for it, and move their vehicle so the next person can get gas. Please don't get gas, and while your vehicle is still at the pump (and others are waiting to get gas) decide to shop a bit in the store before paying for your gas and such, and then move your vehicle. Pump your gas, pay for your gas, and move your vehicle so the next person can get gas...and then leisurely go shopping inside. You might think "I'll only be a few minutes shopping before paying for my gas and munchies, and then I'll move my vehicle", but multiply that by a dozen vehicles or more, and now instead of doing the TAT, we're hanging out as a group at a small gas station wasting time.

Some math just for fun... at 5500 miles for the TAT, at 15mpg in my Jeep, at $3.25/gallon of gas (a random number for calculation's sake), I'll be spending about $1200 on gas just for the TAT portion of the trip (doesn't count my drive from WA to Ripley, WV, or from the OR coast to home). I'll have some cash on me for the trip, and a debit card and a credit card. But anytime I can put gas on a credit card, I will. I'll be racking up those Cabela's points on this trip!

The radio I'm using as my portable is a little BaoFeng UV-5R. They're not expensive. We talked about them earlier. Consider buying one, and consider a spare battery. And if you want to look tacticool (I'm pretty sure that is a word - I read it on the internet somewhere), get a remote speaker/microphone that attaches to the radio via a cord (like something in the last picture, but get a little better quality one).

BaoFeng.1.PNG
BaoFeng mic.PNG

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
@armyRN What will be the best means to follow along for those of us hoping to jump in along the way?
Excellent question.

I'm hoping folks will be posting on this thread as we're going along. One of the things we should be posting is where we're stopping for the night, so you'll have an idea of our progression.

If anyone out there is wanting to jump-in as we get to where you are, please send me a PM and I'll give you my cell number so you can text me. Of course, I can't guarantee we'll have coverage everywhere we're at, but we should know the day before when we'll be getting to where you're at.

I'm so looking forward to Colorado!

Last edited:

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
I think your choice to take The Shadows of the Rockies is a great move. We were really disappointed that we were through Colorado on the TAT route in 2.5 days. We still had a great time, but wished for more. Tincup Pass! That’s a rough trail, if anyone has any doubts about their vehicle, I would jump on YouTube and watch some videos of it. The original TAT used to go over Tincup but Sam moved it due to the conditions.

Is anyone carrying a satellite communication device? We had a Spot Messenger just in case but we traveled alone for the most part. I know that as a trained military medical pro, you will be equipped for most anything save for the odd lobotomy.

Wish I’d known about this trip way back, we would have joined in. I am interested in any plans you have for Tuk. We were going to go up there this year, but have decided to put it off until next year. Definitely interested. We will be on the TAT next month from MS to Moab, UT. We’ll have to bypass the high spots as they won’t be open then.

I know everyone will have a great trip. It was one we still talk about.

Happy trails!

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I think your choice to take The Shadows of the Rockies is a great move. We were really disappointed that we were through Colorado on the TAT route in 2.5 days. We still had a great time, but wished for more. Tincup Pass! That’s a rough trail, if anyone has any doubts about their vehicle, I would jump on YouTube and watch some videos of it. The original TAT used to go over Tincup but Sam moved it due to the conditions.

Is anyone carrying a satellite communication device? We had a Spot Messenger just in case but we traveled alone for the most part. I know that as a trained military medical pro, you will be equipped for most anything save for the odd lobotomy.

Wish I’d known about this trip way back, we would have joined in. I am interested in any plans you have for Tuk. We were going to go up there this year, but have decided to put it off until next year. Definitely interested. We will be on the TAT next month from MS to Moab, UT. We’ll have to bypass the high spots as they won’t be open then.

I know everyone will have a great trip. It was one we still talk about.

Happy trails!
I think someone said they were bringing a satellite phone. Hopefully they will chime-in.

That's good to know about the Shadows Spur. I'm looking forward to CO. And we might be able to do a side-trip to Yellowstone once in WY (still need someone to research that one and take it on).

I'm hoping to do Tuk next summer (2022). Hopefully the border will be open then. I've been as far as Inuvik on the Dempster Highway (before the TUK route was open). I think I posted a suggested trip earlier on this thread (I'll have to go back and check). I want to kayak in the Arctic Ocean, so we'll go all the way to TUK and cast-off from there. I've still got my dry-suit from when I attempted the trip in 2019.

For that one, vehicle requirements will be slightly less stringent, and trailer sizes will be a bit expanded. I'll probably take my full-size truck instead of the Jeep on the TUK one too.

Here's a link to a possible TUK trip scenario: (1) US East - Running the Trans America Trail (TAT) from WV to the OR coast | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

(on the same thread linked just above, also check out post #248 for my trip report)

Last edited:
Reactions: NMBruce and Mrprez

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
!
The hardest part of Tincup has a bypass. The worst thing about the main trail is most of it is just rocky enough to be tedious, but not challenging. I posted pictures of the hardest section earlier in the thread. I ran it last year in my mostly stock Avalanche.

It's unclear which route you took, but if you went by Ouray and didn't stop to do all those trails then shame on you! :D You can do Engineer, Cinnamon, California, Hurricane, Corkscrew, Ophir, Imogene and Black Bear Passes.

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I have one of the zoleo global satellite communicators that the OB store sells, I charged it up this morning and this evening I am going to do the activation part.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
The hardest part of Tincup has a bypass. The worst thing about the main trail is most of it is just rocky enough to be tedious, but not challenging. I posted pictures of the hardest section earlier in the thread. I ran it last year in my mostly stock Avalanche.

It's unclear which route you took, but if you went by Ouray and didn't stop to do all those trails then shame on you! :D You can do Engineer, Cinnamon, California, Hurricane, Corkscrew, Ophir, Imogene and Black Bear Passes.
Yep, we just thought there would be more along the trail. On a positive note, we are heading back to Colorado in September for nothing but nailing all these passes. I just watched a video of TinCup Pass filmed last year or 2019 in the middle of July. They were turned back near the summit due to snow. I haven’t been keeping up with the snow levels this year. They also showed massive avalanche damage alongside the trail.