Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Yep, we just thought there would be more along the trail. On a positive note, we are heading back to Colorado in September for nothing but nailing all these passes. I just watched a video of TinCup Pass filmed last year or 2019 in the middle of July. They were turned back near the summit due to snow. I haven’t been keeping up with the snow levels this year. They also showed massive avalanche damage alongside the trail.
If I remember correctly, 2019 was the year following the huge snowfall and everything was late opening. It's always wise to check multiple sources for the status before heading out.

Do you recall your route between Lake City and Ouray / Telluride?

We don't have an RP on the calendar yet for Ouray this year. If you have any interest in company we could create one for while you're here. Just let me know. No pressure.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Lake City to Cinnamon Pass, California Pass, Corkscrew and then Ophir. We spent the night in Silverton. That would be great! We are staying in Ouray for a week starting September 15th. Company is always welcome, especially locals that know all the good spots...

It looked like there had been a lot of snow that year. I noticed that the approach had been cleaned up quite a bit. Last I saw it, there was nothing but baby-head sized rocks everywhere.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
So I'm making plans for my drive from Longview WA (about an hour north of Portland, OR) to Ripley, WV. Figure about 2600 miles. I've booked KOA campgrounds for the whole drive so I know where I'll be spending the night every night. Here's my itinerary:

Leave 4 June Longview WA and drive to the Boise/Meridian KOA in ID - 475 miles.

Leave 5 June Boise/Meridian KOA to Rock Springs/Green River KOA in WY - 475 miles

Leave 6 June Rock Springs/Green River KOA to Ogallala KOA in NE - 425 miles

Leave 7 June Ogallala KOA to Gretna KOA in NE (near Lincoln NE) - 311 miles

Leave 8 June Gretna KOA to Rochester KOA in IL - 435 miles

Leave 9 June Rochester KOA to Lebanon KOA in OH - 344 miles

Leave 10 June Lebanon KOA to Ripley, WV - 170 miles.

I'm booked a campsite at the Statts Mills RV Park in Ripley for the 10th and the 11th of June.

TAT highway drive.PNG

KOA had plenty of choices for my route. I just had to pick how far I wanted to drive every day. They're not exactly wilderness camping. But they're a place to stop for the night, take a shower, cook dinner and breakfast, and then head out in the morning. They're cheaper than a cheap motel, and I feel safer staying with my gear. Plus they're close to the highway so I'm not making a huge detour to get to the campground. I've never had a bad experience at a KOA (although they were never anything to brag about).

TAT KOA map.PNG

At some of the KOAs as I was making reservations, I was getting their last camping spot. Glad I didn't wait till the last minute! I guess folks are starting to plan and book their summer vacations now, so I recommend you book early if you're driving a distance to Ripley, WV and plan to camp somewhere along the way.

I told my workplace I won't be available for all of June and July (I'm an "as needed" person, so I don't earn vacation days, so this will be unpaid time). So I've got the time off from work, planned my trip from WA to WV and booked and paid for it, got the TAT route on my iPad and phone... I think I'm committed to going!

How's everyone else's planning going? Anything we can help you with?

We're just over two months from our departure date; do we need to schedule a zoom meeting to discuss anything (someone had asked about that in the past)?

Last edited:

No_Pavement_Pls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SE Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Lampmann
Member #

Group,

It was pointed out to me that the SOR track (the spur going up through Colorado) was missing all the waypoint markers and POIs. I double checked with mine, and it is missing them too. So I contacted Sam at TAT, and his reply was:

"TAT...The POI got stripped some how from the main file and I am working on the problem. Sorry for the trouble."

So stay tuned for more info as he gets the problem fixed.
armyRN,

Did you ever hear back from Sam on this? I have the same issue with the SOR portion that I purchased.
I sent two emails to Sam on the contact page on his website but haven't heard a word from him?
Not even a response back.
Anyone else in the group have an issue with there SOR portion?

Thanks
Pete

Triple B

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL
First Name
Ann
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Group,

It was pointed out to me that the SOR track (the spur going up through Colorado) was missing all the waypoint markers and POIs. I double checked with mine, and it is missing them too. So I contacted Sam at TAT, and his reply was:

"TAT...The POI got stripped some how from the main file and I am working on the problem. Sorry for the trouble."

So stay tuned for more info as he gets the problem fixed.
armyRN,

Did you ever hear back from Sam on this? I have the same issue with the SOR portion that I purchased.
I sent two emails to Sam on the contact page on his website but haven't heard a word from him?
Not even a response back.
Anyone else in the group have an issue with there SOR portion?

Thanks
Pete
I too am missing the waypoints.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I emailed Sam a day or so ago. Haven't heard back either. It I'll be an inconvenience if we never do hear back, but won't be a show stopper.

Last edited:

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Sent my RSVP! Pretty excited to join for this trip! The TAT has been a bucket list trail for me for a long time. My son and I will be in our '19 Ranger FX4. I have a current build thread going if you want to check it out. My wife will join us aprx 1/2 way near Oklahoma. (she doesn't have the leave for the full run.)

Triple B

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL
First Name
Ann
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

So I'm making plans for my drive from Longview WA (about an hour north of Portland, OR) to Ripley, WV. Figure about 2600 miles. I've booked KOA campgrounds for the whole drive so I know where I'll be spending the night every night. Here's my itinerary:

Leave 4 June Longview WA and drive to the Boise/Meridian KOA in ID - 475 miles.

Leave 5 June Boise/Meridian KOA to Rock Springs/Green River KOA in WY - 475 miles

Leave 6 June Rock Springs/Green River KOA to Ogallala KOA in NE - 425 miles

Leave 7 June Ogallala KOA to Gretna KOA in NE (near Lincoln NE) - 311 miles

Leave 8 June Gretna KOA to Rochester KOA in IL - 435 miles

Leave 9 June Rochester KOA to Lebanon KOA in OH - 344 miles

Leave 10 June Lebanon KOA to Ripley, WV - 170 miles.

I'm trying to book a campsite at the Statts Mills RV Park in Ripley for the 10th and the 11th of June.

View attachment 193205

KOA had plenty of choices for my route. I just had to pick how far I wanted to drive every day. They're not exactly wilderness camping. But they're a place to stop for the night, take a shower, cook dinner and breakfast, and then head out in the morning. They're cheaper than a cheap motel, and I feel safer staying with my gear. Plus they're close to the highway so I'm not making a huge detour to get to the campground. I've never had a bad experience at a KOA (although they were never anything to brag about).

View attachment 193206

At some of the KOAs, I was getting their last camping spot. Glad I didn't wait till the last minute! I guess folks are starting to plan and book their summer vacations now, so I recommend you book early if you're driving a distance to Ripley, WV and plan to camp somewhere along the way.

I told my workplace I won't be available for all of June and July (I'm an "as needed" person, so I don't earn vacation days, so this will be unpaid time). So I've got the time off from work, planned my trip from WA to WV booked and paid for, got the TAT route on my iPad and phone... I think I'm committed to going!

How's everyone else's planning going? Anything we can help you with?

Were just over two months from our departure date; do we need to schedule a zoom meeting to discuss anything (someone had asked about that in the past)?

That was me that made the zoom suggestion. I'll own it! Sorry my previous life kicked in. Anytime there was a group formed, some sort of meeting took place next. I'll do better leaving that part behind :). I think I'm pretty set with getting the basics covered. As earlier mentioned I plan on travelling lite. Maybe this thought process will kick me in the butt and if so I will either pickup what I need along the way or come off the trail.

I'm about 18-19 hrs from Ripley. Once in Northern GA and north, there will be a lot of forests with regards to overnighting. If not, I know how to find the truck/rest stops for a layover. Push comes to shove there is always a Motel 6, they leave the light on! Plan on arriving in Ripley, 6/11 and hoteling it. Did I miss the part of exactly where in Ripley we're meeting? I got the date and time, just not location or it was put out and I missed it.

Triple B, owner, and trusty side-kick are chomping at the bit to get out there!

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
That was me that made the zoom suggestion. I'll own it! Sorry my previous life kicked in. Anytime there was a group formed, some sort of meeting took place next. I'll do better leaving that part behind :). I think I'm pretty set with getting the basics covered. As earlier mentioned I plan on travelling lite. Maybe this thought process will kick me in the butt and if so I will either pickup what I need along the way or come off the trail.

I'm about 18-19 hrs from Ripley. Once in Northern GA and north, there will be a lot of forests with regards to overnighting. If not, I know how to find the truck/rest stops for a layover. Push comes to shove there is always a Motel 6, they leave the light on! Plan on arriving in Ripley, 6/11 and hoteling it. Did I miss the part of exactly where in Ripley we're meeting? I got the date and time, just not location or it was put out and I missed it.

Triple B, owner, and trusty side-kick are chomping at the bit to get out there!
No Triple B, you didn't miss where we're meeting. I've been looking for a cool place in Ripley to meet that could handle a lot of vehicles to no avail. So without further adieu, here's our Rally Point (RP):

Ripley, WV
Wal-Mart Supercenter #1450
200 Academy Drive, Ripley, WV 25271

Off I-77 at exit 138.

Ripley WV map.1.jpg

I updated the Rally Point page to reflect the actual rally point we'll be using. This will work out well. Get there early if you need to run into the store to get any last-minute items (heck; I'll probably think of something I "need" at the last minute). Look for my Jeep and trailer somewhere in one of the far corners/sides of the parking lot and start lining up. It shouldn't be too crowded starting at 0830. It is starting to feel real! I'll have my GMRS radio on me.

I also reserved a tent camping spot for 10 & 11 June at the Statts Mills RV Park (and campground) in Ripley. Tent sits are $15/night. Not high-class by any means, but I just need a place to sleep and use as a home-base for two nights and it is cheap. And it is close to the Rally Point. If anyone's getting into Ripley the day (or so) before and are thinking about camping, check them out 1-304-373-0030 and camp beside me.

Overland Adventure.1.jpg

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Sent my RSVP! Pretty excited to join for this trip! The TAT has been a bucket list trail for me for a long time. My son and I will be in our '19 Ranger FX4. I have a current build thread going if you want to check it out. My wife will join us aprx 1/2 way near Oklahoma. (she doesn't have the leave for the full run.)
Welcome! It has been on my bucket-list too. Gotta start checking off these bucket-list items. This trip should be a blast - and quite the adventure.

Looks like you're #18 on the registration page. Two months to go... we might get to 20 on the list.

Please be sure to read this whole thread from start-to-finish (wow - this is post #330). Lots of good & important information you need to know embedded in some of the posts. I don't want anyone to have any surprises once we get going.

Last edited:

Zombie

Local Expert Virginia, USA
Investor

Advocate III

Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
Thanks @armyRN for not enabling bad behavior! Huge pet peeve of mine when meeting organizer waits for everyone to join. Way to punish people who follow directions!

I volunteer to be the tailgunner. I have lots of experience riding in convoys and a 50 watt HAM radio (I am a licensed HAM) so won't have trouble reaching you up front. Sometimes the convoy can get 1/2 mile to 3/4 miles long.

I have a Garmin InReach that I can make available to anyone who needs to text in or out when we are out of LTE range.

For some reason I am not being notified of posts in this thread...

Last edited:

Zombie

Local Expert Virginia, USA
Investor

Advocate III

Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
Oh, I heard back from Sam about the waypoints.

"Tom... There is not any waypoint on the SOR...Food Gas Motels are easy to find. Just plan your ride before you start

Sam"

Reactions: T. Stanley

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Oh, I heard back from Sam about the waypoints.

"Tom... There is not any waypoint on the SOR...Food Gas Motels are easy to find. Just plan your ride before you start

Sam"
That is almost word for word the reply I got from Sam

Reactions: Zombie

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Zombie, try the mobile app if you haven't recently and enable push notifications. Much more reliable.

Reactions: Zombie

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Hey Everyone - just back from a 3.5 week "shake down" trip. Went from Pittsburgh PA >> East to MD / VA / NC / SC / GA >> south to Florida >> West along I-10 >> AL / MS / LA / TX / NM / AZ >> North-east along I-40 >> NM / TX / OK / AR / MO / IL / OH / WV / PA >> Pittsburgh. Covered 5,924 miles over 24 days. Got my sleep system in the 4Runner all worked out, got my gear layout pretty well down, and still learning how to use all the features of GAIA GPS. I have more to learn...but that's what adventures are for. I look forward to the kick-off... and meeting you all soon!

Here I am on Ocracoke Island, NC the first week of March...

94138ABD-D60B-4E64-97A8-59511385CA8A_1_201_a.jpeg

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Hey Everyone - just back from a 3.5 week "shake down" trip. Went from Pittsburgh PA >> East to MD / VA / NC / SC / GA >> south to Florida >> West along I-10 >> AL / MS / LA / TX / NM / AZ >> North-east along I-40 >> NM / TX / OK / AR / MO / IL / OH / WV / PA >> Pittsburgh. Covered 5,924 miles over 24 days. Got my sleep system in the 4Runner all worked out, got my gear layout pretty well down, and still learning how to use all the features of GAIA GPS. I have more to learn...but that's what adventures are for. I look forward to the kick-off... and meeting you all soon!

View attachment 193341
You've been traveling! Sounds like a fun warm-up trip for the TAT.

Glad you're getting smart(er) on the GAIA thing! I've got the GAIA basics down (I think...), but I know there's a lot more I can do with it that I might not even know about. Hopefully we'll have some impromptu education sessions where folks can teach us what they've learned using GAIA.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Speaking of education... I've spent a number of years as an educator in various forms. I like learning stuff.

We're going to be spending weeks together (lots of weeks). Lots of evenings sitting around a campfire. If you think you've got some knowledge nuggets, we'd love to hear it while on the trail!

It doesn't have to be a 50 minute PowerPoint presentation with handouts - it can be something as simple as a 10 minute "let me show you how this gizmo works on GAIA" Or a safety/first aid thing. Or how to do a Dutch oven over a fire - anything at all. Show us how your little coffee maker thingy works in the morning. If you have some special knowledge, share it around the campfire! You'll have a captive audience. It'll be fun.

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

View attachment 193341
What a trip you had !! And the best car to do it with , ( I am biased because I have one ) :-)
so I will appreciate if you have some pic about your sleeping systems inside the 4runner maybe I can steel some of your ideas . Thanks

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

What a trip you had !! And the best car to do it with , ( I am biased because I have one ) :-)
so I will appreciate if you have some pic about your sleeping systems inside the 4runner maybe I can steel some of your ideas . Thanks
Sure...no pics at the moment, but here is what I used for the base: Tri-fold Mattress

And then a sleeping bag + fleece liner & pillow seemed to do the trick. I split the rear-seats by folding down the 70% side and trimmed the foam mattress length to fit snug with the rear hatch closed. Used the single rear for my bags (buckled in, of course) for easy access while in "sleep mode". Once I had it set up...I just left it that way for the entire trip. Park, sleep, wake, drive all within minutes...after coffee of course.

I'll grab some pics to share over the next few days.