Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

To all yall who go on extended trips longer than the weekend in middle of nowhere. What do you do or plan to resort to if or when you run out of tp?
Dirty socks,boxers or shirt?
Paper map?
Spray bottle?
Dip your ass in river/stream?
Leaves?
Just be nasty till you get to civilization?

Ive had to do 1 through 5 no way im having itchy stinky butt on the trail. Now i carry more tp than i think ill need but shit happens.

• Haha
Reactions: Prerunner1982

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
To all yall who go on extended trips longer than the weekend in middle of nowhere. What do you do or plan to resort to if or when you run out of tp?
Dirty socks,boxers or shirt?
Paper map?
Spray bottle?
Dip your ass in river/stream?
Leaves?
Just be nasty till you get to civilization?

Ive had to do 1 through 5 no way im having itchy stinky butt on the trail. Now i carry more tp than i think ill need but shit happens.

My wife and I always camp together and I don't know what it is about TP and women...maybe they go out in the woods and decorate the trees with the stuff, but they are always running out. So yeah, I generally have a back up plan...or hide a roll.

Last edited:

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
When you are in need everything starts to look like TP.

Chances are you have an alternative in your rig, but in case of emergency Outward Bound (not to be confused with Overland Bound) has some great recommendations for natural TP solutions. These range from snowballs to rocks, just avoid leaves like poison oak.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Many years ago, a group of us teenagers, hiked the John Muir Trail, in California. Took 28 days of backpacking, and many mountain peaks climbed along the way. One of my friends on the trip was a Doctors kid and he had the best equipment, all new that money could buy. He even had all these great freeze dried foods along for the trip. Remember this was in the mid 70s, so, that was hard to find and when you did super expensive. When the rest of us had Mac and cheese, he had one of his fancy stroganoff freeze dried dinners! 2-1/2 weeks into our backpacking trip he ran out of TP! We were trading him sheets of TP for his fancy dinners! Haha, to say the least, we will never let him live that one down! He has never made that same mistake again, if he has, he sure never told any of us friends! Vance.

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
When you’re the shitrunner, you’ll never run out!108090

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well i figured this would be a legit topic since everyone craps unless you have a colostomy bag. If your actually camping out for long stretches you will eventually find yourself in this situation.

Pure speculation but Mabey this is why some folks take their dog with them they just dont want to admit it, im a cat person so idk.

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
But in all seriousness, I have IBS and I carry plenty of toilet paper. I even carry this. I’ve only ever ran out once and I had plenty of napkins in the glove box to cover what I was lacking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
I tell you guys this much, having the homemade toilet seat has saved me numerous times. Even my wife loves it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9Mike2

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I stay out for months on end and honestly can't remember ever being in a situation where I didn't have TP, paper towels, or a wipe.

I did once use leaves when I was a kid hunting in the Maine woods, but have always been prepared for camping and road trips. I keep a zip-lock bag with leftover napkins from meals and keep wipes in ziplock bags in every daypack, along with ziplocks for carting out TP. If you have to use the woods or outdoors, dig a cathole at least six inches deep and at least two-hundred feet from any surface water like lake, pond, river, or creek.

Speaking of which, it's quite easy and far more beneficial to the environment to set up a 5gal bucket as composting toilet, complete with comfortable seat. More and more places ask you to pack it out and NOT dig catholes, because too many campers have abused the privilege and left piles of human excrement and/or blossoms, those awful wads of used toilet paper that litter many sites, even far backcountry, that seem to stick around forever.

Here's an insta post I made about how to set up an easy composting toilet:

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Those were marketed under the name Bumper Dumper.
Not mine, I had a friend custom make it out of aluminum square tubing and aluminum round tubing. I’ll get an actual photo of it tomorrow.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
This seems like what “should” be one of those natural selection subjects. I guess I’ll have to add “ability to ensure you can wipe your own ass for the duration of the trip” as a prerequisite to joining any trip with me.
Sounds like another way to distinguish the elite.

:smirk: