Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Guess youd rather i talk about what my fantasy rig is or ask what part i should get next? The best laid plans of mice and men go awry. You will eventually have a dirty ass and nothing to wipe with and be thankful of this post.
I've been adventuring and camping backcountry for over 50 years and have never been so unprepared as you seem to be continually. I just spent eight months on the road, most all backcountry miles from pavement or a store of any kind and not once ran out.

I could care less what your fantasy rig is or what part you should get next.

There has been nothing in this bizarre thread that would help someone or to be thankful for in future.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Why did you even click on the post?
in all fairness...this bizarre thread did attract you and I'm getting a nice morning chuckle out of it, and I'm thankful for that. :)
It was a good opportunity to provide valid info on how to be better prepared, set up a composting toilet and not shit in the woods or leave waste behind.

The thread has devolved continually into snarky exaggerated replies from the OP, however, to people who have answered honestly about not running out or just plain being better prepared.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It was a good opportunity to provide valid info on how to be better prepared, set up a composting toilet and not shit in the woods or leave waste behind.

The thread has devolved continually into snarky exaggerated replies from the OP, however, to people who have answered honestly about not running out or just plain being better prepared.
your not answering honestly if its never happened to you. You say your always prepared but never explaine how. Composting toilets and saying your always prepared have nothing to do with when you run out. You feel like you must comment on something thats never happend to you and then act like its a joke. Everytime i post something it gets taken over by the holier than thou group. Thank god your life is just perfect some of us arent blessed that way.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

your not answering honestly if its never happened to you. You say your always prepared but never explaine how. Composting toilets and saying your always prepared have nothing to do with when you run out. You feel like you must comment on something thats never happend to you and then act like its a joke. Everytime i post something it gets taken over by the holier than thou group. Thank god your life is just perfect some of us arent blessed that way.
It's an honest answer, Justin. As I wrote in my first post, I got caught off-guard when hunting as a kid once, and has honestly never happened when camping or traveling in over fifty years. And yes, I did explain how I'm prepared when writing "I keep a zip-lock bag with leftover napkins from meals and keep wipes in ziplock bags in every daypack, along with ziplocks for carting out TP."

If properly prepared, Justin, you don't run out, it is as simple as that. Just as I don't run out of food.

If you have irritable bowels, and it keeps happening that you run out of TP or in a situation where there is none, I suggest you be better prepared with a zip lock with enough to take care of yourself. It is really rather simple and doesn't take any room to do that. When away from my van and trailer, in the canoe, on some long walk, my daypack or vest or rear pocket has a ziplock with several wet wipes for whatever I may need them for.

I have not been acting like it's a joke, nor trying to be holier than thou, and am far from perfect. I gave an honest answer, tried to provide a solution based on my experience, and was told I had nothing to add.

Responding with sarcasm and snarkiness pushes people away who are honestly trying to help.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I never said its a regular occurance to run out. But it can and will happen at the most inopprotune time. Murphys law. I dont generally use napkins to eat food only time i ever see napkins is if eating fastfood. I wasnt asking what i should do but what to do if you run out that would mean out of any normal wiping material. Sorry if my post hurt your feelings but simply saying being prepared means nothing, being prepared is having multiple plans for the problem. What will you do when your out of napkins,wetwipes and tp due to some unforseen circumstances is what im getting at, worst case scenario.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Imagine your out in the middle of nowhere and you get your vehicle high centerd on a small hill and your exhaust catches grass on fire then your rig goes up in flames along with all your preps. It starts raining and extinguished the fire but your left with nothing but the clothes your wearing. All that stress makes you have to go crap. Will you walk out with poo encrusted pants or do you have an alternative means to wipe?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

your exhaust catches grass on fire then your rig goes up in flames
What are you doing off track driving over dry grasss.

Learn to "Tread Lightly"
Quit being that guy who drives BLM to close back country access and decommission roads.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

My winch and snorkel arent a consumable product like tp, not blowing my nose or wiping ass with winch or snorkle. If you have no plan for worst case then thats on you.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

What are you doing off track driving over dry grasss.

Learn to "Tread Lightly"
Quit being that guy who drives BLM to close back country access and decommission roads.
Dont have blm land in texas. i have farm land with you guessed it grass, and i drive on and national forrest trails which commonly have overgrown grass. I find it funny how many people are getting butthurt over this post. Looks like i found some elitest20190622_121945.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I find it funny how many people are getting butthurt over this post.
Not to worry, you are on ignore, I have little time for trolls.

But that sure does not look like "dry" grass. Here in BC, if that were dry grass, no one would drive over it. When the fire risks are high here, we actually do shut down industry and stay out of the forest.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Really i post something that can really happen then you force me to defend myself and im the troll? Well rub my belly and comb my hair maybe you will get a wish.

Chadg

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pahrump, NV
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Toss sandy dirt to the area for clumping (baby powder is better) Poke a hole in the cap of a disposable water bottle with a knife and squeeze the bottle. Camelback works too, squeeze like a bag pipe. Also, before and during your trip drink down some Metamucil at breakfast, for a cleaner dismount.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Hey it's pricey but I have a very picky family. If I'm going to get them out they demand a place to go. Along with a quick popup for privacy.
My dad made one out of old 2x4's and scrap plywood, along with a old toilet seat. Worked great, but was not a compact piece of gear as you could imagine. I borrowed it a couple of times, and received some ribbing over it. Guess what,......they all were not shy when it came time. After my dad passed, I inherited it. The now EX-wife, was so against hauling it from Vegas to Eastern Oregon for a family get together (kids,adults -12 people). Guess what.....when it was time, there was a line formed. Never heard a peep after that first day.
Best part.......I had the last laugh, and had to mention a few times, what a hit it was.

EDIT:
I, like most prefer options if possible. T.P. =2x what you think you will need for your trip. If inventory is being depleted at a greater rate than planned, a resupply at some outpost will be called for. Imodium pills can help with unforeseen situations like this, along with with baby/hygene wipes to curtail excessive use. I hope this is a sanitized responce, that does not offend, and is acceptable to all, and lastly follows the original OP in spirit:smirk:

Last edited:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

But in all seriousness, I have IBS and I carry plenty of toilet paper. I even carry this. I’ve only ever ran out once and I had plenty of napkins in the glove box to cover what I was lacking. View attachment 108096
Xplorer313,
While funny, please remember that we have Members here with children that are looking and reading the forum and enjoying our hobby also. I ask can we please keep this forum clean? Pun intended. Vance.