Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

As a member of GLASS (GreenLaning Assosiation UK) I do drive by the rules of conduct they provide.
Which simple means, RESPECT to nature and other Participants that enjoy the same part of nature as you do.

Here are these rules by GLASS

Use only rights of way with known, proven or provable vehicular rights. If challenged, discuss; if not resolved, then leave as requested until status is rechecked.

Keep to the defined track. Detour only to pass immovable obstructions. Report any obstructions (including low branches) to the highway authority and the local GLASS Area Representative. Be critical of your own abilities and equipment when assessing an obstruction; it is your right to abate a non-lawful obstruction, but do not commit yourself to a bigger task than you are equipped for.

If the route is not obvious on the ground, ask locally, or check on the maps held at the highway authority offices or consult the local GLASS Area Representative.

Travel at a quiet and unobtrusive pace and as slowly as practicable; we recommend a maximum of 12 mph when in a 4x4 and on an Unsurfaced Right of Way (URoW). Ensure your vehicle is fully road-legal, URoW are subject to the same laws as surfaced roads.

When travelling in groups keep to a small number, four or less in sensitive areas, in other areas up to six vehicles MAY be acceptable. Guidance should be sought from the relevant GLASS Area Representative. Weather and ground conditions should also be taken into account. On routes in good condition, split larger parties up and either use a different route or allow a good interval, at least 30 minutes, to elapse before following. With adverse weather and/or poor ground conditions avoid committing a second group to follow the same route.

Do not travel on URoW when they risk being affected beyond a point of natural recovery once the weather improves. If need be, walk some or the entire route first to determine its suitability. Do not use URoW that maybe damaged by the wheel pressure applied by your vehicle.

Avoid damage to trees, hedgerows and boundaries. Some roads carry vehicular rights but are physically too narrow for 4x4s.

Do not practice recovery techniques on any URoW. Use a winch only with extreme caution, and use only the correct equipment and techniques.

Be courteous to other road users - pull over and stop your vehicle for walkers, but pull over, stop your vehicle and switch off the engine for passing horses. Thank those who move over for you.

After consultations with Country Landowners Association and National Farmers Union HQ’s, “best practice” dictates that gates if they were found to be secured in an open position should be left open and those which are found shut or swinging should be shut behind you; the landowner might appreciate being told about a gate insecurely propped open if you see them.

Keep dogs and children under supervision. Watch out for injured or trapped animals, and report all suspicious events to the landholder.

Guard against all risks of fire. Take your litter home and that left by others if you see it, wherever practicable. Plastic bags can suffocate livestock if swallowed.

Help to keep all water clean. Remember that wildlife faces many threats and URoW are valuable habitats, take special care in spring and early summer. Follow the Country Code, it is for your guidance only.

Be considerate of group sizes at meeting points or food stops.

Driver's guide
This document is a draft item to give the feel of what may appear here.

Then it is extended by the rules of conduct by the Tread Lightly organisation.

Tread Lightly Website

Travel with minimum impact

• Keep to the defined track. Detour only to pass immovable obstructions.
  • Be critical of your own driving ability and equipment when assessing an obstruction; it is your right to abate a non-lawful obstruction, but do not commit yourself to a bigger task than you are equipped for.
  • When travelling in groups, keep to a small number – four or less. Split larger parties up and either use a different route or allow a good interval to elapse before following.
  • Use a winch only with extreme caution and if circumstances demand it. Ensure you use only the correct equipment and techniques.
  • Avoid mud. Where the surface may easily be damaged, be very gentle on the throttle to avoid wheel spin.
  • Never drive on moors and marshland.
  • Practice minimum impact driving at all times.

Respect the environment and the rights of others

• Practice driving as quietly as you can.
  • Be considerate of other users at all times.
  • If your right to travel is challenged, discuss; if not resolved, then leave as requested until status is rechecked.
  • Travel at a quiet and unobtrusive pace and as slowly as practicable; we recommend a maximum speed of 12mph when driving on an unsealed Right of Way.
  • Avoid damage to trees, hedgerows and boundaries. Some roads carry vehicular rights but may be too narrow for your vehicle.
  • Be courteous to other road users – pull over and stop your vehicle for walkers, cyclists and horse riders, switch off your engine for the latter.
  • Thank people that move over to let you pass.
  • Watch out for injured or trapped animals, and report all suspicious events to the landowner.

Educate yourself, plan and prepare before you go

• Ensure you have up to date maps.
  • Before setting out to remote area’s check the weather forecast and let someone else know where you are going and when you are likely to return.
  • Ensure you have adequate fuel for the journey and check all levels before settling out.
  • Never enter private property without permission of the land owner.
  • If in any doubt walk a route prior to driving it, to determine its ability to sustain traffic, if in any doubt turn back.
  • Ensure your vehicle is maintained to a high order and up to the task.
  • Avoid travelling alone.
  • Maintain a reasonable distance between vehicles.
  • Wildlife faces many threats and many Unsealed Rights of Way are valuable habitats, take care at all times and be particularly watchful in spring and summer. Avoid area’s of special scientific interest
  • Study the Country Code and follow it at all times.
Always leave the countryside at least as good as you found it

• Do not travel on any Unsealed Right of Way when they risk being affected beyond a point of natural recovery once the weather improves.
  • Do not use any Unsealed Right of Way that may be damaged by the wheel pressure applied by your vehicle.
  • Gates that are secured open should be left so, all gates that are found closed or swinging open should be closed behind you.
  • Travel within existing wheel tracks, never create new ones. Where several exist search out the original route.
  • Take your litter home with you.
  • Carry a bin bag and collect any litter you may see along the way.
  • Do not scare livestock or wildlife.
  • Do all you can to avoid polluting any water ways.

Discover the countryside responsibly

• Use only rights of way with known, proven or provable vehicular rights.
  • Report any obstructions to a Rights of Way to the highways authority and to Tread Lightly.
  • If the route is not obvious on the ground, ask locally, or check on the maps held at the highways authority offices, or consult with Tread Lightly representatives.
  • Ensure your vehicle is fully road legal. Rights of Way are subject to the same laws as normal sealed roads.
  • Do not practice recovery techniques on any public Right of Way.
  • Keep children and dogs under supervision.
  • Guard against all risks of fire.
  • Clean down front and rear vehicle lights and number plate before returning to the highway.
  • Respect the environment and all other users. Common sense and common courtesy will ensure a future for our lanes.
Due these rules, you provide nobody any right of argueing about you bein irresponceable to nature. And so we can keep our way of life in the future.

Greetings from Robert

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I agree. Most of our hobby is dictated by treading lightly and common sense. As @administrator pointed out in one of his videos, when in doubt walk it out. It also never hurts to talk with other people in your group to get their thoughts.

Reactions: Michael

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Attachments

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

As stewards of the out doors we should all practice LNT. I know there is a self study program on their website that takes a couple of hours, but is a good refresher.

Bk6418

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, Georgia
Member #

Is there a rule or etiquette for the following:

First scenario - On the trail you see some one coming up/down a hill does the person coming down have the right of way or the person coming up? Lets assume this is plan dirt roads and not an obstacle either party is navigating other than each other.

Second, extremely slow driver on the trail can you pass - I say no, or at lease wait for a wave by. I was following some guys and they passed a family in a car, I waited and was waved by but when I went to pass I asked if they needed help, come to find out they were on the wrong road all together and needed directions. Regardless I may have just answered my own question but I will leave it for others.

Thank you all

Reactions: Moriarty

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

it's common sense! Imagine having several acres of land that you spent your life saving for. You open it up and allow people to walk, cycle, ride or drive across it, would you want it churned up or covered with rubbish? How about the wildlife or flora / fauna killed? How would you feel that your pride and joy was desecrated by careless or irresponsible individuals who "made their mark"?

so, consider your actions before you tear across that field, drive through that river or set up camp in that wooded area!

Respect Nature!

DesertFox

Rank III

Advocate II

California
Member #

Is there a rule or etiquette for the following:

First scenario - On the trail you see some one coming up/down a hill does the person coming down have the right of way or the person coming up? Lets assume this is plan dirt roads and not an obstacle either party is navigating other than each other.

Second, extremely slow driver on the trail can you pass - I say no, or at lease wait for a wave by. I was following some guys and they passed a family in a car, I waited and was waved by but when I went to pass I asked if they needed help, come to find out they were on the wrong road all together and needed directions. Regardless I may have just answered my own question but I will leave it for others.

Thank you all
Good questions.

If I have just started down a hill and I see someone almost all of the way up, I back up to the top and let the other driver pass through. Conversely, if I am almost at the bottom and someone has just started up, I expect the other driver to give way.

If we are equal distant, it can turn into a game of chicken...depends on the size of the rig coming towards me for me to decide what to do.

As far as slow pokes go, I stay an appropriate distance behind them for awhile and make sure they have had a chance to see that I am back there. If this continues for a bit with no improvement in there speed, I will move closer. If no signal is forthcoming, I smoke them the first chance I get.

Reactions: Moriarty

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

First of all, there are some logical and physics involved.
1. a decending car will not be able to climb up the hill as easy as the other one can go down.
2. secondly, there are Always places to overtake eachother, which one is closest and the easiest to reach.
3. Talk instead of playing a game of chicken. Because you cant see what a reason can be for the other person not to back up.
4. How much cars are involved.
5. If more cars are involved dont get thing your way just because you are with more. That is so wrong. When you are with more, you should be able to come all together to a suitable solution.
6. Very important. Help eachother.
7. What you can, what you see, what is a possibility for you doesnt need to be as clear for the other person. Be patient and talk.