Rubbermaid Actionpacker vs Plano Sportsman's Trunk (Review)

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have 4 of the smaller Plano containers. I bought them at Wall-Mart for no more than $20 a piece. I use one for recovery gear, extra stove fuel cannisters, etc...and it lives outside up on the roof rack. I have one set up as a camp kitchen (my project yesterday, actually), and one for dry foods. These two Plano containers stack together inside the vehicle and get strapped down. I have a 4th one which I can use it required. So far ,we have not had any issues with the Plano boxes at all. They stack together very well, and can be used as a chairside table if required.

Reactions: Michael and Corrie

Fakawi Tribe

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

Great review. I have both in comparable sizes and though I like the construction of the Rubbermaid, the Plano beats it in, like you mentioned, storage capacity. I wish we could get a hybrid of both to make the perfect container to tie down and explore.

Reactions: Michael and Corrie

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

I did a quick detailed comparison between two of the most popular storage containers out there. I researched a review comparing these containers online but didn't find anything out there so I decided to do one myself and throw it up on my blog.

Here is a link to the review
Good review!

Jeez. We use both, and the large Actionpacker we picked up at REI in 2015 has *never* latched correctly for us. It turns @Michael into Cussy McCusserstein. We use the smaller size Actionpacker when we need to be more agile during travel. We'll pack it out with a simple burner, a single pot, simple meals, utensils, coffee, etc. I love that size for that purpose. The bigger size... Well. We're sticking with Plano. :)

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

perfect timing! i just placed my order for two of the Plano cases. thanks for the wright up!

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Plano also makes a slightly smaller size. They are at Sportsmans Warehouse and I imagine elsewhere.
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Plano-56Qt-HD-Storage-Tote/productDetail/Dry-Storage-Containers/prod999901362916/cat100877

or Amazon:

Plano 1619-00 56 Quart Tote Tub
by Plano Molding
Link: https://amzn.com/B007TOJ9DY

and these are still some of my favorites because I like boxes that are as square as possible and don't waste space!
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-wolf-pack.html

Nice writeup.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I actually use both these boxes, each has their place. Honestly, I think a mix of the two works very well. I keep my recovery gear in a Plano in the back of the XTerra at all times and a second Plano with larger, lighter things. The recovery box is heavy as hell, but since it doesn't really go anywhere, it's not really a problem. The box with the stove and other cooking stuff is still fairly easy for a guy my size to move around. I use two Action Packers to organize my food, one for canned food, rice, and other "wet" food; the other for dry food like pasta, chips, etc.

Plano:
Pros:
  • Size
  • Wheels
  • Tie down points
  • Hinged lid
  • Doesn't care about being left out in the rain
  • Stackable
Cons:
  • Flimsy when the lid isn't latched
  • Gets heavy fast when fully packed
Action Packer:
Pro:
  • Easier to throw around when loaded
  • Sturdy
  • Fits perfectly in the rear footwell of a Nissan XTerra to act as a sleeping platform (does not apply to all owners)
  • Doesn't care about being left out in the rain
  • Stackable
Cons:
  • Small size
  • Tapered shape results in wasted space
  • No tie down points
The lack of tie-downs on the Action Packers isn't a problem because they get held in by the front seats, I could probably roll the vehicle and they would still be glued into place.

So, which one do I think is better? They both have their place, and I think that it depends how things pack into your vehicle. If I had a larger cargo area, I would probably just do three Plano cases like @Michael has proposed. However, due to the smaller size of the XTerra, I found using two Plano cases and two Action Packers makes the best use of my space.

Both are very good solutions and neither cost and arm and a leg.

Bob

Rank III

Advocate II

This is very helpful, my gear is currently in soft sided tool bags.
I was just thinking about trying to reorganize it, to make things easier to tie down.
I need to measure and see if the plano box fits in the back of the xj.
Thanks for the review.

Reactions: kickkem

Bob

Rank III

Advocate II

TreXTerra,
I saw on your post that the plano box has wheels, but I didn't see any in the pics. Are wheels optional maybe? I don't think I would like to have wheels.

EOD Tam

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Alameda, CA
Member #

Really good write up! Cost is also a huge factor as well. I think the action packed is more than a Plano sportsman.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Action Packer had a full size (length & width) model that was "Half Height". It was the perfect size for a roof rack, but you still had to take the strap off to open the lid :-( I'm getting ready to order two Plano 1919s. Anyone have a better recommendation?

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I have several of the 8 gallon Action Packers, and I find their shape to be their biggest draw back. I wish they were more cube like. I've been converting my gear storage over to army surplus Hardigg medical cases, or Pelican cases that pop up on Craigslist. They're really stout, but expensive.
I have several Pelicans that I use for camera gear, but they're so heavy. It's a bad start for a roof box.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Pelican Air!!! 40% Lighter than previous Pelican Cases! I just picked up two Pelican Air 1615 cases. They're the perfect size (for my roof rack) at 32.58" x 18.4" x 11.02" (exterior) with an 18.6 gallon capacity. My Stihl MS 170 fits perfect inside. You can ratchet strap & cable lock the box handles to your roof, without interfering with your ability to open and close the lid. Waterproof, with a pressure relief valve for heat expansion and elevation changes.

They're not cheap. I paid $250 each, but they're on wheels and have an extending trolley handle, so they make awesome luggage too.

b6b16da203c71f6120e48e0aa7fa8af4.500.jpeg

Last edited: