Contributor I

Houston, Texas, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
C
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5WDS
I've been looking at RTT's, and they seem to span the gamut. Each time I do a search, I end up with results I hadn't seen before. For instance, I just discovered Guana Equipment tents. Nice, but spendy.

I've never owned one, nor used one, so I'm not quite sure what to look for. What are some of the mid tier brands?

What do you like about yours, or what would you change if you could? (Or why did you change from one brand of tent to another perhaps?)

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I do not have a RTT....
I have a mountaineering background, most of the RTT are 2+ or 3 season tents at best. If you are going to fair weather camping then most of them will do a good job. The hard topped tents seem to be better made but are speedier. Many of the canvas seem to made by the same Chinese company. 80%+ of the 4 season tents are made in Vietnam by the way. Look at the seams, look at the stress points, look at how the clam shell and the fabric are joined. The name brand tents are like GM, Ford, Toyota mostly good and do the same thing well.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I've been looking at RTT's, and they seem to span the gamut. Each time I do a search, I end up with results I hadn't seen before. For instance, I just discovered Guana Equipment tents. Nice, but spendy.

I've never owned one, nor used one, so I'm not quite sure what to look for. What are some of the mid tier brands?

What do you like about yours, or what would you change if you could? (Or why did you change from one brand of tent to another perhaps?)
Start with this..

1. What vehicle is it going on?
2. What type of rack is it mounting to?
3. How big do you need it?
4. What if your MAX budget?

From there, I or someone else here can def. give you a recommendation. Just be aware, a lot of companies are out of stock right now.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Bundutec is merely one good brand in a sea of good brands. As @diabetiktaco said, you have to nail down a few decisions before even looking, the options are just too great not to. Listen to his advice.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Bundutec. Anything less, I'd rather use a ground tent.
$4000 and weighs 180 lbs. My roofnest was $3000 and weights 130. Also, a conventional tent will cost WAY less than both of these and accomplish the same mission. Bundutec is a luxury only.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yep. I'm sticking with a ground tent for now. Unsure if my fellow overlanders are going to stick with the hobby anymore than I. I'm sticking to that though, if I go RTT and Jet Ski, instead of deeper into overlanding with a slide in camper, it'll be a Bundutec only. A solid tent that lacks the complaints of the others, and hopefully won't go out of biz like the others.

Camper / Jet Ski / Fiance' / Honda CRF450L are all in the same price range............

Reactions: MMc

defran

Rank 0

Contributor I

Poconos
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
DeFrancesco
i have the tjm yulara, for the money it cant be beat. its solid, nice materials and so far it has been weather proof. for 900 bucks, it is a no brainer.

Wyotroutguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Utah
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

First Thing to look at is how you’d be using it, are you sleeping just you, you and a spouse, or do you have kids that you’d be sharing it with, damn near every reputable rtt maker will have a size to accommodate your needs. (Also typically you will be able to go larger with canvas over hard top)
Secondly, when are you going to use yours? 2 season? 3 season? Or are you going to be out in winter months aswell and go with an insulated option?

Do you want a covered ladder that would be enclosed in an annex if you decided to add one, or are you ok with an exposed ladder?
A lot of makers also offer black out lining (highly recommend this route)
Also read a lot of reviews before you buy(I like to focus on the bad reviews vs the good reviews to see what people are actually complaining about not just hyping up)

For me personally after taking all those into account and damn near 2 years of research and deciding I settled on the 23zero Breezeway56 its marketed as a 3 season, has black out lining (mid day if I have the doors and windows closed I can hardly see my hand in front of my face) and they have an available cold weather kit for it, that is an insulation layer to add on the inside. It has tons of ventilation (hence the name breezeway) it does have an exposed ladder, but for me that’s just fine.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Wallygator

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

My smittybilt tent was fairly priced and ive used it in 12 degree weather when snow is on the ground and it was better than sleeping on the ground keeping us off the cold ground and we used it in warm weather and i cant complain

Reactions: Wallygator

Jay

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Canada
First Name
jay
Last Name
mysterious
Member #

The first thing we changed (or added i should say) to our tepui 4p tent is a 3 inch mattress topper. wow what a difference. the 2 inch foam pad that comes with it is not sufficient, unless you are young and limber.

We have friends that have a yakima and smithy built and all 3 look like they came from the same factory.... get a RTT on special and add a topper and you are good to go. The tepui autana comes with an annex room that can give you a bit more privacy. makes a nice room to change etc so that is one thing you cant really get with a hardshell

I really wanted a hardshell but we needed the room that the tepui gave us, its a california king size bed up top with a bit of extra length so topper fit perfect :) I keep bringing up the topper allot XD but it really did change the game, makes the 3k tent feel worth it you know XD

edit: we spent 3 days in the rain, The rain fly did good for the top of the tent, but the tent sides were so drenched after the second day that it could no longer keep the water out and water was seeping in from the zipper that hold the tent canvas to the floorboard, I will apply some water repellent onto the tent body to try and help it and maybe add some wax on the zipper to stop the water getting in that way

Last edited:

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
This was my thought process on an RTT as posted on another forum

I have an 04 Discovery II

As result of last summer's excursions I found me, my gear, and sleeping platform inside is not ideal for long trips. So the start of this is the great roof top tents search, I have no issues with ground tents, other than bears. But dry and clear space for a ground tent can be hard to find.

1st issue is weight up top Land Rover recommends no more than 50-60Kg about 110 to 130 lbs on the stock bars when moving. (gutter mounts allow up to 220)
2nd is the vertical size of the tent more for clearance than fuel consumption.

Starting with load bars I have about 40 lbs currently and that doubles, if I need 2 more so 80 lbs
The awning adds another 10

So my base weight is 50 lbs before tent (assuming 2 load bars) which leaves all of 80 lbs for the tent which is way light but gives me a guideline.

In the end I used 2 load bars 40 lbs
1 x 2 in square steel tube 6 lbs
Awning of 10 lbs

Total of 56 lbs

I am looking a 2 man tents, generally I am alone so that is a ton of room

The contenders were:

Smittybilt 2 man 2783 145 lbs - Cost CDN - 1100.00 Closed : 47"W x 56"L x 11"H
Tepui Explorer Ayer 2 95lbs - 1600.00 Closed 48" X 42" X 11" (WxLxH)
Freespirit 55 clone 160lbs -1200.00 Closed 83 x 52 x 11 (LxWxH)
Local Off brand 125lbs 1000.00 Closed 50" (long) x 48.5" (wide) x 15” (tall)

I am leaning towards the Tepui simply for weight savings and it can be a 4 season tent with addition of a liner, the lighter weight is also a bonus. As well it will fit without my having to adding additional cross bars - the cost however hurts a bit.
There are few other options that are local that may well work out, but they are larger tents than I need

I ended up with the Tepui Ayer ex-rental 1200.00 CDN all in at 100 lbs (5 lbs for anti condensation mat an sleeping gear)

So my total dynamic load is 156 which is 64 under max that gives me some leeway.

Last point and one everyone seems to forget is removing the cover and unzipping, and then folding, tucking, zipping and putting the cover back on.
I have a wide step/slider on my Disco, and I use a hockey stick to grab the zipper puller and open across the front.
When closing the hockey stick works as both a tucker and zipper pull

My tent is a true 2 man and you best be friendly

Supernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Heinze
Member #

After lots of research I went with an iKamper Skycamp. I have the first version with the 4 person capacity. I've had it for three years and have learned to really like it. Many trips with no complaints. The only word of caution with this tent is making sure that the nuts that hold the aluminum platform to the rails stay tight. I go over a lot of washboard, higher speed desert running with tons of vibration. Before I break camp, I make sure those nuts are tight.

Above poster mentioned the bag with soft-sided RTTs and how it can be a pain to get back on. This is why I went with a hard shell. I can either set up or pack up in a lazy, no rush, 5 mins. It's super easy.

The other thing to consider with an RTT is how you're going to mount it. On my pickup, I started with a Thule rack and quickly realized that rack isn't meant for off road use. Those racks are for transporting ladders to job sites and kayaks to the lake over pavement. I'd say that any rack with clamps is unsuitable for overlanding and will chronically come loose at bad times. Some will disagree with me but my experience with racks with clamps has been from bad to frightening. For the type of terrain I'm covering, mostly desert, clamps don't cut it.

On a Wrangler, this will be different than a pickup. In any case, pick the tent AND the rack carefully.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Supernaut that is a good point on gutter mounts you do not want cheap, and you need to check them fairly often. Having said that My Front runners have been solid for 2 years.

Reactions: Supernaut

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Having tried the soft top I have decided a hard top most fits my needs. Mainly because of easier take down. If I am out in the boonies alone I want to cut my climbing up and around, even on a good stool, to the bare minimum. Also, there is more space to leave bedding inside a hardtop. I like the concept of RTTs and sleep great in one. I may still use the soft top on a trailer at some point.