RTT vs. Parking in the Garage

• HTML tutorial

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

One of my biggest hangups with adding a RTT to my JKU is the idea that I'll not be able to park in my garage again once mounted. I've got lower/older garage doors, roughly 7" I'd guess, and I'm already at peak height with my Rhino Rack platform and Batwing awning. Adding the RTT will mean I'm parking outside from the time it's mounted forward. The idea of taking it on and off isn't appealing.
The other thought is adding a trailer to the mix...but I really like staying compact and easily maneuverable. And then their is the added expense of a trailer.

So, anyone got any thoughts on this? Did you just suck it up and park outside from the time you mounted the tent forward? Was the benefit of the tent worth the trade off?
I realize not everyone has a garage, so this is directed more towards those that do and then added the RTT creating the issue.

My current sleep solution is an Oztent RV5. I back out, load the tent and go. Which is all fine and good, I've just got the hankering for a RTT and can't leave well enough alone.

Tight fit.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I feel your pain. Or garage was built in the 1930s or '40s, the garage doors are at 7'. My SIIa 88 has a tropical top (double roof basically). I have "maybe" 1" - 2" clearance. The traditional roof rack (which I want to get) is 16.5" tall, so that will add 8" - 9" overall height. When you add gear....

If we were to install a taller door for it the most we could get is an extra 1' before cutting into the roof.

Reactions: St8ton

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Started leaving my roof top tent on , I would say garage versus RTT. RTT wins , I would think if it as RTT vs other method of camping rather than vs garage. Neither yourself or your Jeep is going to wither away from weather so easy choice for me. My gargae is reserved for my other Jeep projects (96 XJ) ....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pick Teej

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Smethport, Pennsylvania
Member #

i put my lift and new tires on in my garage. tried to pull it out and my roof rails scrapped. had to air down to get it out completely.. RTT didnt make a difference for me. after the lift and tires, I knew it wasnt ever going back in.

Reactions: Cmel06 and Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

We are looking at building a garage just for the Rover. It'll be a two bay garage but the second will actually be a shop. We are also wanting to put in a mechanic pit as well.

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

I know you mentioned putting it on and taking if off is not appealing. But just want to throw out there that these simple 2x4's have been a life saver for me. I can have the tent loaded SOLO and in position, ready to be bolted down in just a few minutes.
I've seen photos of folks doing this...I just want to have it ready to go when I'm ready to camp. My JKU is not a daily driver, sometimes not even a twice a week driver. It's nice to have it all ready to go with minimal hassle. I've got the Pioneer Platform and while it's nice and low..it's also nice and low making it hard to get to bolts for attaching a tent from what I understand. Again, no actual personal experience.

Reactions: GPsGeeps

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
Would a car cover or carport help? You would be able to keep the jeep covered and the tent on. Something like this maybe can be had at Cabela's for about 160 or so.
upload_2018-7-31_18-40-0.png

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

And this is one reason my tent is trailer mounted. A TJs lack of cargo space neccessitated building up a trailer. With a well built trailer, it’s amazing how maneuverable the Jeep can be while towing. Without the trailer, I would never consider a RTT on my little TJ for the reason you posted here plus not wanting to kill my mileage and COG on my daily driver.

If it’s not your daily driver, can you air down enough to get it into the garage?

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I was in the SAME situation about two years ago. 7’ garage with a lifted Jeep and squeezing the roof rack and awning up there was challenging enough. There was no way I was not using my garage for storing my Jeep, so I went the trailer route, and I couldn’t be happier. I have a Morris Mule trailer that will haul mulch and stone when empty, and a Tepui RTT and Foxwing awning for the getaways.

With that said, I don’t always take the trailer, but that’s the beauty of having an awning on the vehicle as well-run an awning room and instant living quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

I was in the SAME situation about two years ago. 7’ garage with a lifted Jeep and squeezing the roof rack and awning up there was challenging enough. There was no way I was not using my garage for storing my Jeep, so I went the trailer route, and I couldn’t be happier. I have a Morris Mule trailer that will haul mulch and stone when empty, and a Tepui RTT and Foxwing awning for the getaways.

With that said, I don’t always take the trailer, but that’s the beauty of having an awning on the vehicle as well-run an awning room and instant living quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
A trailer like the Morris Mule would be ideal. I just can't seem to source one locally for a reasonable price. Paying $8-10K for someone's contraption isn't exactly what I want to do. The Mule seems very well build and simple in setup.
Maybe I get the tent, mount it on the Jeep for a while and park it outside...eventually getting a trailer. Expo East is coming up in a couple months and I'm sure trailer vendors will be out in force. Problem is I'll have several events and excursions before then so my purchase urgency is increasing.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

A trailer like the Morris Mule would be ideal. I just can't seem to source one locally for a reasonable price. Paying $8-10K for someone's contraption isn't exactly what I want to do. The Mule seems very well build and simple in setup.
Maybe I get the tent, mount it on the Jeep for a while and park it outside...eventually getting a trailer. Expo East is coming up in a couple months and I'm sure trailer vendors will be out in force. Problem is I'll have several events and excursions before then so my purchase urgency is increasing.
Morris Mule is right down in Anniston, Alabama. I made the trip down there and picked mine up directly from Morris. He's great to deal with. If you chat with him mention our discussion on the forums. I chat with him once a month or so.

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

For the price of most of these trailers you could have a garage built that is tall enough for the jeep with a RTT(If you had the space). I feel the pain of wanting a RTT, but I have managed to resist. There are plenty of options for fast and easy ground based accommodations. Bears and other wildlife can get you in your RTT. Snakes and crawly things...just get a folding cot or some other raised bed. For me at least, the RTT is just more stuff that I want. Must acquire more stuff! So I continue to resist.

Reactions: Correus and sabjku

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None
I went the trailer route also. I have a local guy that builds a nice trailer for less than $2K. I like it because I can leave all my gear loaded and ready!