Marissa, St. Clair County, Illinois, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Nellis
Member #

Service Branch
ARNG, EMS, Police
I've had (4) different RTT's and a dozen tents. I also enjoy sleeping inside my SUV. I switch it up based on who I'm with and where I'm going. There's no on perfect set-up for everyone. However, if I put aside all the drawbacks, between the three, my best night of sleep is in an RTT.
I agree also I had ground tented for years and not saying I couldn't sleep but I sleep so great in my RTT. I honestly sleep better there then I do in my actual bed.

Reactions: Truckee

Davidln1

Rank III

Educator I

Marissa, St. Clair County, Illinois, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Nellis
Member #

Service Branch
ARNG, EMS, Police
I am really struggling with deciding the route of my truck. I like to overthink everything and then overthink it some more. Eventually causing decision anxiety.

There are 2 options for my truck. Bed rack with a RTT or Bed rack with an awning and ground tent. Let me explain why I can't have the bed rack, RTT, and awning. My stipulation for the bed rack/RTT option is that the RTT is at or below the roof line of my truck. I can do that (or at least really, really close), but then the awning would be at around 4' instead of 6-7'. I'm not a tall man, but I can't walk under a 4' awning.

I go back and forth between wanting a RTT or not. So here is my question for discussion:
If you RTT; what is the biggest pro? What is the biggest con?
If you ground tent; What is your biggest pro? What is your biggest con?
If you've done both; why did you move to what you chose?

For the sake of argument, let's take price out of it. Obviously, price is important, but I've gotten approval from the wife to invest in the next year in a 'final' camp solution. We try to camp twice per month, for the weekend, and there will be some longer trips involved too. 9 days or under. For the longer trips, camp would be in a different spot each night, so 'saving' a camp site isn't a priority. For the weekend trips, it would be split between same spot for the weekend and moving around.

I appreciate any and all feedback you can provide. Responses don't need to be limited to the above questions either, any points you can make would be helpful.
For me I went with the RTT. I will eventually get an awning also but have not decided on which I want. The RTT I chose was the Roam Vagabond. Reasons why is it was good size, made of great materials and and the reviews were all really good. I traveled to an authorized dealer and got to view the tent in person which I highly recommend. The tent came with the condensation mat which I found most did not. I would person go with the roof top tent. And look into something like a moon shade awning which can suction to your roof and would pack away in the bed. I have no personal experience with them so I can't speak on them but I know people use them.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I have a long funnel attached to about 6 feet of 3/4 inch tubing so I don't have to leave the RTT. A little water out of a bottle to give it a flush and back to bed...
I put a Y connection on my A/C drain and route the tube down so it drains at the same location as A/C condensation.

Reactions: CMac

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
The choice is certainly subjective. The negatives have been covered ad nauseam. As far as benefits... With an RTT...

1) I can almost always get a level sleeping platform. I can even camp on a rock garden. It's just a matter of stacking rocks, logs, etc. If none are available, then bring lightweight leveling blocks or firewood.

2) In rain, I can set-up the tent with all bedding inside, even sleeping clothes in about a minute (hard shell). Not possible with a ground tent because you'll have to go back and forth transferring sleeping bags, pads, etc. In RTT, you can even have your LED strip lighting all "hard-wired" in and ready.

3) Say you are in a ground and it starts to rain big time.... add high winds. Part of me can't help think, "Am I in a low spot. Will I get flooded?" No worries with an RTT. Ground tents can be sturdy in the wind but the ones that are, usually have more poles, more complex to set-up and might require guy lines which equals more time to set-up.

4) It's the next day, you wake up and it's all mud around you. Let's pack up this muddy ground tent. Uggh. RTT, it'll be wet but not muddy.

There's certainly more benefits... but these come to mind. If you camp in fair weather and developed campgrounds, benefits will be fewer.

Last edited:
Reactions: AggieOE

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

The choice is certainly subjective. The negatives have been covered ad nauseam. As far as benefits... With an RTT...

1) I can almost always get a level sleeping platform. I can even camp on a rock garden. It's just a matter of stacking rocks, logs, etc. If none are available, then bring lightweight leveling blocks or firewood.

2) In rain, I can set-up the tent with all bedding inside, even sleeping clothes in about a minute (hard shell). Not possible with a ground tent because you'll have to go back and forth transferring sleeping bags, pads, etc. In RTT, you can even have your LED strip lighting all "hard-wired" in and ready.

3) Say you are in a ground and it starts to rain big time.... add high winds. Part of me can't help think, "Am I in a low spot. Will I get flooded?" No worries with an RTT. Ground tents can be sturdy in the wind but the ones that are, usually have more poles, more complex to set-up and might require guy lines which equals more time to set-up.

4) It's the next day, you wake up and it's all mud around you. Let's pack up this muddy ground tent. Uggh. RTT, it'll be wet but not muddy.

There's certainly more benefits... but these come to mind. If you camp in fair weather and developed campgrounds, benefits will be fewer.
I think you hit on my main gripe with a ground tent (and all I use is a ground tent or sleep in vehicle) and that is putting it away wet. This is not so bad if you are heading home and can dry it out when you get there, but if you are doing multiple days it can become a bit of a pita in my book to have a wet tent. I have certainly managed but it is a pain. As for the rocky ground we just move into the vehicle and deal with the moisture. On this last trip we had one morning that dipped down to 28F and there was a good amount of condensation inside the Jeep that morning!

All that said I don't really know if a RTT is any better when putting away wet....But I have lots of questions for this weekend's Overland Expo.

Reactions: Truckee

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

Well... I figured I would tie this thread off (for me) as the wife and local marketing made my decision.

We bought a RTT. We went camping and it was <30 degrees overnight. I need a new sleeping back, because my zipper broke. Wife decided for us that she wanted a RTT with real bedding inside to keep warm. Also, our local shop offered a $500 in store gift card if you bought an 'in stock' RTT. They had ours in stock. Given that we chose an odd size (23Zero 62"), and they had it in stock, we bought it. I am waiting on my Billie Bars to arrive, then I will install it for testing. Then I will build my removal system of pulleys and eye bolts attached to studs in the roof. That's where it will live when we are not using it.

Thank you to everyone who offered opinions. I appreciate the healthy discussion.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Well... I figured I would tie this thread off (for me) as the wife and local marketing made my decision.

We bought a RTT. We went camping and it was <30 degrees overnight. I need a new sleeping back, because my zipper broke. Wife decided for us that she wanted a RTT with real bedding inside to keep warm. Also, our local shop offered a $500 in store gift card if you bought an 'in stock' RTT. They had ours in stock. Given that we chose an odd size (23Zero 62"), and they had it in stock, we bought it. I am waiting on my Billie Bars to arrive, then I will install it for testing. Then I will build my removal system of pulleys and eye bolts attached to studs in the roof. That's where it will live when we are not using it.

Thank you to everyone who offered opinions. I appreciate the healthy discussion.
enjoy, I'll agree with yer wife, real bedding rules for sleeping comfort
I use 3 big expedition sleeping bags, the topper is a summer bag. The other 2 are canvas outers, flannel lined 4 season bags zipped together as a double.

Loved waking to this...
Homebilt Square Drop, not an RTT.
DSC_0114.jpeg

ps this was the Columbia Ice Fields in August. In the RV Camper campground there were 3 of us.
In the tents only walk in campground sites there were 30 tenters.... all under 4" of snow on the ground.

Define hard core.

Last edited: