First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
ALPHA nice! Had mine for six months or so and just got the anti-condensation mat. Multiple days in cool moist weather will cause moisture between the floor and mattress to build up. It was getting to be more trouble than it was worth to raise the mattress while open to let it evaporate. Check underneath after every use when weather is cool.

Pro Tip: I use a flat wooden paint stir stick to tuck the overlap up under the cover when closing. When you pull down the cover before you strap it down it's easy to push the folds up under the cover so nothing wants to stick out or bind along the edges.
Hockey stick works great for tucking in if you are higher up, the curve is useful that way

Reactions: Road and FishinCrzy

Mrhomeguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boston, MA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Stan
I think I want to take the plunge and upgrade to a roof top tent for my 2019 TRD Premium Offroad. I have a LFD Offroad 3/4 roof rack. I am looking at at couple of tents. Of course I have watched a zillion Youtube videos. I want to get some input from some users. I really would like to limit the tent hanging over/off the roof rack. Looking at the dimensions I am looking at a IKamper Skycamp mini and a CVT Mt Hood. Are there other options I may have over looked? Am I totally off base and should look at something else?? What are people's thoughts on these two tents?? My social group is not really into Overlanding, so I am asking for help. I don't really know anyone with "hands on" experience with these tents.

TeachAO

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Glenwood, Washington, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

The Alpha does look like a very nice tent. BUT I see the closed dimensions L/W/H: 75x55x15 inches. I am trying to fit this on my rack system that is only about 56" front to back (3/4 LFD Offroad) and do not want to interfere with anything over the front of the rack. Looks like the Alpha does not fit my situation. Am I looking at these measurements incorrectly??

Does anyone have any other ideas? Still leaning towards the IKamper Skycamp Mini.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
The Alpha does look like a very nice tent. BUT I see the closed dimensions L/W/H: 75x55x15 inches. I am trying to fit this on my rack system that is only about 56" front to back (3/4 LFD Offroad) and do not want to interfere with anything over the front of the rack. Looks like the Alpha does not fit my situation. Am I looking at these measurements incorrectly??

Does anyone have any other ideas? Still leaning towards the IKamper Skycamp Mini.
I guess it depends on how far forward your rack and cross member for the forward tie-downs are. My rack over the bed is higher than most but if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to deploy the side window cover/canopy. As it is, I might have a problem with a roof rack and clearance for one of the supports on the side window. I have about 5-6 inches of clearance from the front of the tent to the rear of the cab and it overhangs about 7-8 inches over/past and above the tailgate. I like the height so I can walk under the tent floor when deployed. It's big and if I did it over I might look at the ALPHA II that is smaller. But, so far so good.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
How many people are you planning to sleep in the tent? I looked but did see anything in earlier post, but guessing more than 2, the Alpha ll closed is L/W/H: 59.75 X 49.75 X 14

is you rack 1/2 hight or full hight?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
How many people are you planning to sleep in the tent? I looked but did see anything in earlier post, but guessing more than 2, the Alpha ll closed is L/W/H: 59.75 X 49.75 X 14

My rack is approximately 19" high (It was almost dark) from top of bed on my Tacoma with 5 ft. long bed. It's also lifted about 3". I'm 5'10" and can just walk under it. And, actually the tent is almost even with the back of the cab and 4-5" over the tailgate.

Me and a blonde and a redhead have plenty of room. If the brunette shows up we really don't get much sleep. She snores. :grin: Hope that helps.

• Haha
Reactions: Viking1204

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

When you look at my pictures above you see the Alpha 2 and not the "big" Alpha. The Gladiator has a short bed similar to the Tacoma (and I actually run a Tacoma bed rack), so I chose the smaller one which will be enough room for the two of us.

TeachAO

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Glenwood, Washington, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

I watched a video on the Alpha II. It looks awfully similar to the IKamper footprint. Thanks for another idea.

Just me in the tent.
The length measurement would be front to back on the rack correct? I believe my rack is fairly low profile.

Last edited: