Rank III

Enthusiast III

Glenwood, Washington, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

I think I want to take the plunge and upgrade to a roof top tent for my 2019 TRD Premium Offroad. I have a LFD Offroad 3/4 roof rack. I am looking at at couple of tents. Of course I have watched a zillion Youtube videos. I want to get some input from some users. I really would like to limit the tent hanging over/off the roof rack. Looking at the dimensions I am looking at a IKamper Skycamp mini and a CVT Mt Hood. Are there other options I may have over looked? Am I totally off base and should look at something else?? What are people's thoughts on these two tents?? My social group is not really into Overlanding, so I am asking for help. I don't really know anyone with "hands on" experience with these tents.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If you travel every day and do t base camp, they work great... if you are in a base camp setting you have to tear down camp if you want to join on the trail rides... talk to @PNW EXPLR and @Sandpoint Steve they love their RTTs.

The other side of the coin is @Michael and @Corrie who had an RTT and have gone back to ground tents using the Gazelle Tents... personally this is what I also prefer... easy set up and tear down like the RTT, but unlike the RTT, no need to climb on top of my rig and I can leave it set up for a day of adventures with the rest of the group without packing up camp.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I just upgraded to this new Alpha II
Alpha II

Faster setup than my old flip over style, but not as fast as a wedge or regular hard shell style.

TS also has an aluminum shell version. But it will take up more roof space.
TS Stealth

The Alpha is the same size as the stealth.

I have not mounted it on the truck yet, but it looks and feels pretty good to me.

-Steve

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
OK, so Pros and Cons IMHO,

Pros
- One less thing to remember, it's always there. Yes, I have been on trips where tents were forgotten. No, it wasn't me!
- If your truck fits, your tent fits! Primitive camping spots don't always have a space, much less a leveled one, for a tent.
- You are up off the ground. So no worries, or at least less worries, about the wild life becoming curious about what's inside your tent.
- It's like being in a tree house, Its fun.

Cons
- Setup is pretty easy, but packing up can be work especially during cold/freezing conditions.
- Condensate under the mattress is always an issue when its cool at night. When your ground tent gets wet on a trip you take it home, open it up and drape it over something for a day. When your RTT gets put away wet, you go home and deploy it again (rendering the vehicle useless) and dry it out (outside! Where it may still be raining/Snowing).
- Loading and unloading gear/clothes/stuff from an elevated tent is more work then from a ground tent.
- Cost compared to equivalent sized ground tent. Gazelle = $300 vs RTT = $1000 +++++ depending on type and quality.
- Windy conditions are exaggerated with the extra elevation.
- Kids and heights can be dangerous.
- Gotta Pee? For guys no problem (pee bottle). For the ladies, climbing down.
- Wanna run a trail, pack'r up.

I guess there are really more negatives then positives. But, the plusses can be pretty convincing. I have property in Wyoming, aka Grizzly & Wolf country. I like being 7' off the ground, gives me a firing backstop (the ground) if needed.

You have to really think about the kind of exploring you do, the space you have to work with, and what your budget is. A cheap RTT is $1000. A really nice ground tent is $400 + a cot and sleep pad for $200.

Just do you, not what you see others doing. RTT's are 90% trendy.

Just my .02 cents.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I just upgraded to this new Alpha II
Alpha II

Faster setup than my old flip over style, but not as fast as a wedge or regular hard shell style.

TS also has an aluminum shell version. But it will take up more roof space.
TS Stealth

The Alpha is the same size as the stealth.

I have not mounted it on the truck yet, but it looks and feels pretty good to me.

-Steve
i ordered the Alpha ll a couple weeks ago, so I am waiting on it to arrive. Thought the sale was great, also go the Annex and a free Awing with the deal.
I looked around and thought this was a nice tent, my first RTT? I am adding it to my trailer, but also making a mount on my pickup.

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I got mine before the free awning, but still thought it was a good deal vs others with the same design.
Make sure to use anti seize on the mounting bolts. Had one get gauled threads and did not want to come off. Support sent me a new on and recommend anti seize. Not in any instructions that I received.

Reactions: NMBruce

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I got mine before the free awning, but still thought it was a good deal vs others with the same design.
Make sure to use anti seize on the mounting bolts. Had one get gauled threads and did not want to come off. Support sent me a new on and recommend anti seize. Not in any instructions that I received.
I plan to run bars front to back, how far apart are your mounting bars?

Attachments

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
You need to run your bars side to side. The design does not make it easy to change the direction of the mounting rails.

Reactions: NMBruce

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
On my old tent the bolts were positioned so the rails could be this way it that way, but this is not a square . They are bolted right at the end per the photo. You could probably rotated, but you would need to plug the old holes and drill some new ones.

SJois

Rank 0

Traveler I

Delaware
First Name
Sumanth
Last Name
Jois
i ordered the Alpha ll a couple weeks ago, so I am waiting on it to arrive. Thought the sale was great, also go the Annex and a free Awing with the deal.
I looked around and thought this was a nice tent, my first RTT? I am adding it to my trailer, but also making a mount on my pickup.
Which website did you order from? that sounds like a good deal.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@PNW EXPLR really hit all the points, but the Icamper / Freespirit 55 while using your entire rack have a very small footprint when open. So pretty much if you can get the doors open you are set.

I have Tepui Ayer which is small clamshell tent (2 person and no more), the ladder angle is really the only issue as it move the foot print further out but it is still small.

I found ground tents while no slower to setup took more time to locate an clear a spot for use, at least in SW BC.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I did the same and received the tent in late January. It is built solidly and in the latest version the two steel cables have locks. They also added more Velcro straps, so that every non-hinge side has two now (in addition to the two steel cables on the long side).

I am looking forward to warmer weather to try it out :-)

475ED7AB-273F-49AD-A5F9-6A9473F1FDD4.jpg81514086-1DC4-4312-9CE7-A33FEC21D2A1.jpg

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
ALPHA nice! Had mine for six months or so and just got the anti-condensation mat. Multiple days in cool moist weather will cause moisture between the floor and mattress to build up. It was getting to be more trouble than it was worth to raise the mattress while open to let it evaporate. Check underneath after every use when weather is cool.

Pro Tip: I use a flat wooden paint stir stick to tuck the overlap up under the cover when closing. When you pull down the cover before you strap it down it's easy to push the folds up under the cover so nothing wants to stick out or bind along the edges.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I did the same and received the tent in late January. It is built solidly and in the latest version the two steel cables have locks. They also added more Velcro straps, so that ever non-hinge side has two now (in addition to the two steel cables on the long side).

I am looking forward to warmer weather to try it out :-)

View attachment 186671View attachment 186672
Wife wants a picture of the inside (I’ll show her one from their site)

looks great, can’t wait

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
ALPHA nice! Had mine for six months or so and just got the anti-condensation mat. Multiple days in cool moist weather will cause moisture between the floor and mattress to build up. It was getting to be more trouble than it was worth to raise the mattress while open to let it evaporate. Check underneath after every use when weather is cool.

Pro Tip: I use a flat wooden paint stir stick to tuck the overlap up under the cover when closing. When you pull down the cover before you strap it down it's easy to push the folds up under the cover so nothing wants to stick out or bind along the edges.
I need to look into that mat, where did you get yours?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I need to look into that mat, where did you get yours?
I got it directly from Tuff Stuff. It is custom made for the ALPHA with velcro in the right spots. I see them for both sizes. They weren't available when I first got mine.

I need to go insert mine. Just got it yesterday. About 5 days shipping time.