Whiiskeypete

Rank 0

Contributor I

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Strom
I have ordered my camper shell and have spoken with a few people. I ended up on the Snugtop Rebel with reinforced roof and racks. Don't think it really matters which tent you get as long as your camper shell is reinforced. I'll let you know how it turns out!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
If I were to get a RTT to put on my camper shell, I think I would go with a Yakima Skyrise HD. The reason why I like the Yakima RTT, other than that I have Yakima round cross bars already on my shell, is that the Yakima can be installed in different configurations, i.e. either open to the side or back. As much as I like the hard shell RTT, it wouldn't work for me, at least not the ones I've been looking at where the opening/ladder only goes on the back where the rear camper shell window would open. Plus the hard shell and others seem to be in the 150-200lb weight range.

The Yakima Skyrise HD medium size is 115lbs. The small size is 101lbs. Not only the size, but the RTT clamp is super easy to use. Just twist and lock.

Here's a picture of their non-HD model but pictured on a camper shell. Their first generation models are even lighter. The small is just 95lbs.

tent-ls2_2_1.1541527379-730x450.jpg

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Snug makes a great shell. Make sure the Side windows open for ease of use.

Story: We and 2 friends headed out to a surfpoint in Baja in the 80's. we were driving F350, 4 door with Snug on the back.The road became very narrow, I was in the back behind the driver. The driver asks the passenger to watch his side of the road so we do not drive off, we go off and slide to the bottom of the ditch. The entire truck came to rest on the Sung. spent the night sideways off the road. When we got it upright and on the road, the Snug was scratched and a bit of the jell coat had chipped. I have only considered and purchased Snug ever since .

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I’m running a Leer 100XQ camper shell with a Tepui Ultralite Kukenam Sky 3 RTT mounted on Thule Crossbars. The tent weighs 108lbs. I’m about 180lbs currently and I'm the only one sleeping in the tent. I haven’t had any issues. Tent has currently been mounted on the shell for about 5 months straight and I daily drive the truck.

Attachments

RVA Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brandermill Parkway, Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Rudolph
Member #

I have my smittybilt mounted on a leer top. Been there over a year and have had no problems. I have slept up there with my son with no issues or apparent flex in the cap. Trying to figure out my next move for my ranger. May do the same thing till I can afford the alucab canopy camper.

Attachments

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have my smittybilt mounted on a leer top. Been there over a year and have had no problems. I have slept up there with my son with no issues or apparent flex in the cap. Trying to figure out my next move for my ranger. May do the same thing till I can afford the alucab canopy camper.
. " May do the same thing till I can afford the alucab canopy camper."

Have you ever looked at CARAVAN CAMPERS out of Reno NV? Customizable, metal, not fiberglass, and either square or tapered sides. Also side door configurations , rear door options. Alucab is very $$$$, the Reno option might be cheaper???, and maybe with some options not available with the SA company.
1572487057866.png1572487093752.png1572487153645.png1572487185544.png3.jpg1572487265805.png1572487286502.png1572487345247.pngInterior roof storage, side storage, positive dust pressurization option, etc. No idea what the price range is, but I have talked to 2 different people who have owned them, and both have loved them. From 25 years ago, and one about 15 years ago. They are not your typical fiberglass topper, which may or may not last 15+ years. Definitely a long term investment grade unit. They have upped the customization aspect from when I first became aware of them.

I like the steel side door aspect over a glass door, and the double rear vertical door for rear access. Much more usable, vs a standard topper rear hatch.

Just thought I would present this option direction as you mention Alucab, which is Hi-End.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Have you ever looked at CARAVAN CAMPERS out of Reno NV? Customizable, metal, not fiberglass, and either square or tapered sides. Also side door configurations , rear door options. Alucab is very $$$$, the Reno option might be cheaper???, and maybe with some options not available with the SA company.
View attachment 124756View attachment 124757View attachment 124758View attachment 1247593.jpgView attachment 124761View attachment 124762View attachment 124763Interior roof storage, side storage, positive dust pressurization option, etc. No idea what the price range is, but I have talked to 2 different people who have owned them, and both have loved them. From 25 years ago, and one about 15 years ago. They are not your typical fiberglass topper, which may or may not last 15+ years. Definitely a long term investment grade unit. They have upped the customization aspect from when I first became aware of them.

I like the steel side door aspect over a glass door, and the double rear vertical door for rear access. Much more usable, vs a standard topper rear hatch.

Just thought I would present this option direction as you mention Alucab, which is Hi-End.
I know 3 guys that have them, all love them. 2 of these guys replace them every time they get a new truck. I think they are noisy, all these guys haul boats on top of the trucks. A RTT would be fine up there.

Reactions: Desert Runner

RVA Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brandermill Parkway, Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Rudolph
Member #

View attachment 124756View attachment 124757View attachment 124758View attachment 1247593.jpgView attachment 124761View attachment 124762View attachment 124763Interior roof storage, side storage, positive dust pressurization option, etc. No idea what the price range is, but I have talked to 2 different people who have owned them, and both have loved them. From 25 years ago, and one about 15 years ago. They are not your typical fiberglass topper, which may or may not last 15+ years. Definitely a long term investment grade unit. They have upped the customization aspect from when I first became aware of them.

Thanks, will check that out

Reactions: Desert Runner