First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
If you have a site with electric you can use a small space heater. I’ve been using a 500w unit plugged into an aquarium thermostat to set the temp.

If you plan on camping in the snow or below freezing temps I’d highly recommend the thermal pack. The 500w can’t quite keep up in those situations.
Thanks, yes, I always get a spot with electricity/water, or at least electricity.

Someone suggested I get an electric blanket, currently shopping around for one.

Reactions: Vagabond.Explorer

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

In regards to roof top tents, I run an ARB Touring (softshell) tent on top of my FJ with the additional annex along with an ARB side awning and walls for it. The roof top tent works fine and is comfortable however my biggest complains are such:

1. Large and blocky and add a substantial height component to my vehicle already plagued with height issues after oversized tires and a lift kit. I can't go into certain parking structures or drivethroughs.

2. The size of it really kills my fuel mileage. The FJ with all the fun parts already has a diminished MPG and in conjunction with a small gas tank means I have to pack a fair amount of Jerry cans with me. The rooftop tent because of it's dimensions takes 1 - 2 mpg off of my ride

3. The UV degregation of the cover happens faster than a hardtop. My tent is fairly old and has significant cracking and sun bleaching. From the exposure to sun, snow and harsh elements the cover has really gone down in recent years. The actual tent is in great condition still.

Next time I get a roof top tent I'll be going with a hard cover. They are more aerodynamic generally. They are good with inclement weather and uv exposure. And they're easier to access on tall vehicles. Just my two cents.