Rtt and the dog?

• HTML tutorial

J.Webb

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

New England
Member #

Ive been looking into RTTs lately and I want to get one but I cant figure out what to do with my dog. He's 75lbs and I doubt he can climb a ladder. Does anyone else take their bigger dogs along for the trip in their RTT? I tried searching the forums, but I came up empty. Leaving him home is not an option, he loves the outdoors as much as I do. But lifting a 75lb dog in and out of a RTT doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Andrew A.

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fullerton, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6KRF
I don't have a dog, but the annex (if you get a RTT with annex capability) might be a good spot for the doggo.

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

I asked Tepui what the recommend and they said a popular choice is to put yoga mats on hood/windshield and have them walk through a zip-down side window on the tent.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

^^ That's a good idea I'll probably try. Last summer (first year with the RTT) I just left the dog in her crate in the rig with the windows cracked or under the tent depending on weather. When we went camping in the winter though I decided to let her in the tent with us and while lifting her in wasn't too bad, trying to lift her out by myself from above my head was NOT fun!

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

So after figuring out how to get Tiger up there, turns out he likes and does not want to come down, So I no longer do this. As you see I got a ramp.
I wish I could do a ramp. I will be putting my RTT on my leer shell (all being installed on Tuesday and I am beyond excited). That will put the opening at something like 7' high.

J.Webb

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

New England
Member #

My RTT would only be a foot higher than my bedside on my frontier so approx 5.5 feet in the air. I found an 8' folding dog ramp on line that I shpuld be able to store under the RTT. But that was after I posted this question. Maybe I could set the ramp a rung or 2 down the ladder then he could hop up the last bit. Thanks for all the responses.

J.Webb

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

New England
Member #

I do like the yoga matt idea, but that still means he would need to get on the hood and it all depends on the RTT I end up with. Right now I'm leaning towards the smittybuilt 3person

Oh yeah and my RTT isn't going on my roof, going over the bed.

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Kind of a pain getting the 8 lb weenie dog into ours. Hate to have a bigger one lol. I mounted mine over the bed of my truck opening to the side so it couldn't climb through the window without dodging the supports.

FJN-YYC

Rank 0

Traveler I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Whiffen
I have been pondering this for a while. We have a 65lb Australian Shepherd that loves to go camping and wheeling with us. He also likes to perch himself up high to overlook everything and keep us warned of approaching people......or squirrels. Having a fold up ramp sounds like an excellent idea

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

We just took ours out for the first time and the dogs stayed in the annex. This weekend we are going to be in and out of camp driving through national parks so I need quick setup and tear down: no annex. Will report back on how I managed with 70lb and 60lb boxers.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

B^2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

We're leaning towards getting a RTT with an annex, just easier for us, especially since we have a newborn coming soon. I also have a dog hammock for the back seat of the truck that would work well for overnight sleeping assuming the temps are right.

villaphoto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Campbell
Member #

We put our Aussie up in our RTT without an issue. She's gotten pretty good at helping get herself up, but typically we put her in her harness and my wife stays in the tent and I help hoist her up in.

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

So, after three nights of not using the annex I can report that getting them in and out with me on the ladder and wife in the tent was not much of an issue. Well, as long as you are okay with bandaids and bruises. Yeah, no issues.